1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Colin_P, 8 Sep 2014.

  1. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    It's more what was seen this morning that got them repeating it, that's on my mind.

    Possibly nothing more than an over-reaction by me.
    dave r and Colin_P like this.
  2. ColinJ

    ColinJ Hillfinder General

    Understandable though. I immediately started worrying when they called me back for the kidney scan. I didn't have any symptoms and my kidney function was fine, it's just that once they thought that they had spotted something they had to keep looking.
    Last edited: 9 Oct 2017
    dave r, Colin_P and classic33 like this.
  3. DRM

    DRM Über Member

    West Yorks
    Thats the thing, it can take some getting used to any niggles etc that occur, there's nothing wrong with you, but it's still there lurking in the back of your mind, is this happening again, you kind of know your ok, but it can worry you.
  4. I start the 'rounds' next week. Starting with a physch evaluation, then endocrine, immunology (they tested my blood extensively whilst I was in ICU and didn't like what they found, IgA and IgE are both well below normal, so I can expect much more blood to be removed as I get into the system....)... and then MRI scans of my pituitary adenoma to check it and size... and then... it goes on. Yesterday I had physio again (they came out to me for a second time) and today I am getting someone coming out to talk to me about the help I need around the home and with medical appointments. I can have upto 6 weeks help from someone in this area - I only really need help with things like cleaning and transport to and from appointments. There's not much else really that anyone can help me with. Though talking me out once a week to something like the local 'club' get together in the library (of all places) to chat for an hour or two would be nice. I haven't left my home now in over 3 weeks. That is my home and grounds... Hubby doesn't even bother asking if I want to come shopping with him. Often I end up sitting in the car whilst he goes around the shop, but I'm there with him for the travel, but he doesn't see that that counts. I think the physch appointments will be quite useful.

    And then I also have a referral for some new treatment called HF10 which is a spinal stimulator designed to limit chronic pain. The electrodes are actually implanted directly onto the spinal cord itself. The trial equipment is deigned to be worn on a belt around you, with the leads coming out through the skin for 2 weeks but the actual thing itself, if the device helps enough, is completely contained within the body. Apparently it is one of the very few pieces of medical equipment that can be worn through an entire flight which is useful to know.
    dave r and classic33 like this.
  5. swee'pea99

    swee'pea99 Legendary Member

    Five years and one month since I posted this:


    Last week I got my 'fifth anniversary' CT scan. Clean as a whistle.

    Without wishing to hex anything, surviving what I had, to the stage I had it, for five years, makes me, literally, a one in 20.

    I put it down to exercise, 'food, not too much, mostly plants', and a positive mental attitude. And beer of course.

    Keep pedalling folks - there really is no better medicine!
    slowmotion, Mrs M, flatflr and 7 others like this.
  6. flatflr

    flatflr Über Member

    Just over here
    Quick up-date from me

    Have been back at work for a week now, boss made me leave early for the first 5 days back and has told me to take as much time as I need for recovery.

    Have had a few issues with my local doctors surgery:
    First they messed up my prescription only giving me half the amount of one item so the prescription is having to be re-issued and I’m a month behind in stock of that drug.

    Then when I spoke to one of the doctors on the phone the week before last it became apparent that she’s not even looked at my notes as I had to read out my treatment to her (same doc who signed off the incorrect prescription), but she did give me the ok to go on the turbo as long as I don’t let my heart rate go above 80bpm .

    I then realised that I should have had an appointment with my doctor to see how I’m getting on check my medication and get a referral for cardiac rehabilitation within a week of leaving hospital (this should have booked automatically). So far none of this has happened, so I’ve arranged an appointment myself to get this kicked off, if I'd not done it myself nothing would have happened (the Doctor I’ve booked it with does triathlons so will understand where I’m coming from for my rehab).

    Biggest issue that I am finding is stopping myself from doing too much as in myself as I want to carry on as normal as I’ve not had any tiredness.
  7. JhnBssll

    JhnBssll Well-Known Member

    Blimey. There are some survivors on this forum!

    As per my intro in the new members section I too had a super fun time last year going from relatively healthy to 50/50 chance of survival in a whirlwind 4 days. This was all due to something as simple as a blockage of my common bile duct, most likely by a gallstone. This caused acute necrotising pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas leading to interruption of the blood supply and death of the organ tissue) which lead to multiple organ failure, an ambulance ride, 11 days in ICU, 3 months in hospital, sepsis, 2 operations and 6 months off work :laugh: Funny how things pan out sometimes..! I think I managed to achieve pretty much every complication possible in my road to recovery and truth be told I'll never quite be the same again but I'm still here, kicking and screaming :angel:
    slowmotion, Effyb4, classic33 and 3 others like this.
  8. PaulSB

    PaulSB Guru

    @flatflr I’ve little doubt things vary from one area to another but this may help. For me cardiac rehab was organised by the team who provide it, not the GP. I had a visit before discharge by the rehab team with all the relevant info.

    Getting the prescriptions right can be a bit of a trial. Once it’s correct get put on repeat dispensing and you may be able to simply order by email monthly direct to the pharmacy. You know you’re entitled to free prescriptions?

    Regarding the turbo. If I walk at a brisk pace, by this I mean as fast as I can and still call it a walk, my HR is 92. In my view you might get more benefit out of a walk than a turbo session.

    Be aware of changing temperatures having an effect on you. I wasn’t told of this until I raised it with the rehab team. For some cardiac patients moving from a warm house to cold outdoors and vice versa can be very uncomfortable. Obviously it’s not cold yet. The solution I found was to dress for outdoors and then wait in the house for ten minutes till I had warmed up. I also covered my mouth and nose with a scarf to avoid breathing in cold air. When I returned to the house I would again wait a few minutes before taking off coat etc. to allow my body to adjust to the indoor temperature.
    Colin_P likes this.
  9. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Keep the screaming down will you!
    Colin_P and JhnBssll like this.
  10. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    How many could afford to carry on, if they'd to pay for what they needed to survive?

    I know I couldn't even at prescription charge price.
    Colin_P likes this.
  11. Being in Australia currently we have had to pay for some things then claim it back from our insurance company.

    • My doctors appointment that day in July this year was $192 because it was a very long appointment apparently (I have no idea).
    • The ambulance was cheap because although it was a 40 minute emergency ride to the closest hospital with me needing constant attention just to keep me alive, we didn't cross any stage boundaries so it was only $590 (if they had taken me across a state boundary then it would have been more than double that).
    • I then needed immediate and constant support to stay alive and ended up being an air ambulance transfer across state boundaries... Luckily because it was classed as an interhospital transfer, there was no charge but if they had come to collect me from my doctors surgery... But we heard it was upwards of $5,000 for that 15 minutes flight...
    • I then needed isolation in icu on life support for a day, 6 days on a respirator and spent 12 days in icu alone... Figure pet day. Not a clue.
    • The hospital also charge you $58.90 a day if your stay is longer than 35 days of non-acute stay. Luckily for me despite being in hospital for longer than that, the 12 days in icu and the 3 weeks in acute rehab didn't count...
    • Some of my meds were not available to the hospital, so they had to write prescriptions for them for my husband to collect from the private pharmacies. You pay for those meds. It varies from pharmacy to pharmacy what you pay... The ones they couldn't get hold of were $150 per item and one is simply not available in Australia at all (it's only €16 in Spain over the counter though!)
    • I also have to pay for my meds here (though we are able to claim some of it back on the travel insurance through my husband's work)... Anything from $6 for the really common cheap generic stuff to $178.00 I think it's the highest I have seen and that's my time release morphine and that's only 28 tablets at one a day. We pay around $400-500 a month for my medication. that's just the meds that need a prescription or are available in Australia. Not all my meds are. Luckily the Aussie government have a system by which when you meet a figure of something like $3,000 starting from 1 January, you only get charged $6. something per item after that until the end of the year. It appears to apply to the entire household, so my hubby only pays $6 let item now as well. It still costs us upwards of $150 pm despite that help.
    1 aussie dollar is roughly 60p in sterling.
    dave r and Colin_P like this.
  12. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    Still enough to pay out though.
    Colin_P likes this.
  13. PaulSB

    PaulSB Guru

    Which without getting all political is why the NHS is such a wonderful institution. None of us give a medical visit or appointment any thought in relation to cost.
    dave r, Colin_P and Alan O like this.
  14. OP

    Colin_P Veteran

    Crikey, lots happening sadly in this thread, a few words of advice;

    You are not and never alone !
    Keep fighting and never let it win !

    A mundane'ish update from me after my visit to the "pacing" clinic today and as I'm a bullet point kind of mood;

    • I have an ICD (Implanted cardioverter defibrilltor) and have done since 2013 as a result of a rather nasty virus.
    • It has saved my life five times now with dropping dead Nrs. 4&5 happening in late April with the subsequent being shocked back to life happening about ten seconds or so after the ICD detected me being dead.
    • I was swapped over and started on a very toxic drug back in April and about to have blood and other tests for thyroid, liver, lungs and eyesight so toxic this drug is.
    • The good news is that no further events recorded and the battery is showing 8.5 years remaining despite all the work the ICD has had to do.
    • My third six month medical driving ban is likely to end but is not guaranteed, I need to await news from the DVLA. However I'm not sure I really want to drive again even if I could and this is coming from a proper petrol head.
    • Part of the tests today were to check the lead integrity, the ICD box itself is on the surface just under my left collar bone and the leads are threaded a main vein, past a heart valve and then bored internally into my heart muscle.
    • First test was where they increase your heart rate. Sounds inocuous enough doesn't it but not when you leap from 62bpm to 90bpm instantly. That had me on edge.
    • Second test, my favourite was the same for the lower lead. This one makes your heart beat upside down, literally and always freaks the hell out of me but today especially. The sensation is exactly like the one I get just before dropping dead! Needless to say, my so called sympathetic nervous system (look it up it really does exist) doesn't know the difference between this test and dropping dead. Massive adrenaline dump as the fight or flight reflex is activated and suddenly you are on the verge of a panic attack. I don't like that test.
    End of the bullety points bit. Hopefully my bloods will come back all good which would mean the toxic drug that stops me dropping dead in the short term isn't actually killing me in the longterm.
    dave r, Alan O and classic33 like this.
  15. classic33

    classic33 Legendary Member

    It's odd how much affects the vision.

    So long as you don't get headbutted, you should be okay.
    Colin_P likes this.