Apalling actions from an Arriva bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monsieur

Just come back from a lovely cycle ride in the sunshine ^_^

Maybe many of you should do the same instead of posting banal tittla tattle :hello:

SW19cam

Über Member
Just come back from a lovely cycle ride in the sunshine ^_^

Maybe many of you should do the same instead of posting banal tittla tattle :hello:

Sadly, most of us can't get out for a cycle in our coffee breaks at work. Incidently, how many coffees do people here drink a day, really? I'm on 5 already.

Despite feeling slightly nauseous at this 'car crash' thread I can't help but read the new replies.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am getting a bit tired of people going off topic on this thread. I dont want it locked. I want to be able to post a response from the company when I get it.
Maybe people should stop commenting or make their own thread if they have something different to discuss, then maybe other members could find it more easily and have their input.

Well said Matthew.

GC

PK99

Legendary Member
So where does the debate happen? Don't confront the driver, .

There are different ways of confronting the driver.

Like Matt did in this case, aggressively threatening the guy's job from the off (how ludicrous is it that he refers to his approach as passive aggressive!!) or assertively. Matt's whole approach was textbook aggressive, from his initial overtake to the head pointing to the station confrontation

Aggression
The dictionary defines aggression as:

1) Any unprovoked attack.
2) An act or attitude of hostility, usually arising from feeling of inferiority or frustration.

Aggression whether physical, verbal, or psychological, is destructive to both self and others. Nobody enjoys a bully!
Aggression is an approach used to make you feel better by forcing your point of view on others, hurting their feelings, and building resentment toward you. E

Assertion

The dictionary defines assertion as:

1) A positive statement; declaration.
2) An insisting on one’s right, a claim, etc.

To assert one’s self means to put oneself forward; make oneself noticed, especially in insisting on one’s rights. An assertive person is able to stand up to others and deal with each issue at hand.

Assertiveness skills can be learned and will not only resolve many interpersonal problems but will build confidence, self-respect, and improved relationships with peers.

In this case, cut the head pointing and head to the depot and : "S'cuse me. I felt very intimidated by your overtake back there, it seemed too close..." cue, in all likelyhood, a very different and more productive conversation. If not, then the follow up is "Could you tell me where the Depot managers office is, please?" ie giving an opportunity for face saving. Only then is there a need to escalate.

I've made the mistake of making a verbally aggressive approach to errant drivers in the past, but learnt to modify by initial approach, most often with positive results and lower blood pressure.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Thanks for that, posting quotes from the dictionary, good stuff there.

RWright

Guru
I am getting a bit tired of people going off topic on this thread. I dont want it locked. I want to be able to post a response from the company when I get it.
Maybe people should stop commenting or make their own thread if they have something different to discuss, then maybe other members could find it more easily and have their input.

I think a lot of people are getting a bit tired. I think I am too. So I am going stop clicking on stupid bicycling drama videos on Youtube.
This thread opened my eyes to a few things I hadn't taken time to think about and I think not watching any more of them will be in my best interest. Well, except for the part of learning how NOT to cycle. :thumbsup:

PK99

Legendary Member
Does this mean I can't put in any more stuff about lifting tree roots?

Just because it's off-topic and of no interest to anyone else who's ever breathed or ever will?

What about my human rights?

You have to be human to have human rights, and some of your stuff is from another planet, so I'm not sure you have any!

You have to be human to have human rights, and some of your stuff is from another planet, so I'm not sure you have any!

Right! I've got that slur on camera! I think you just cost yourself your job!

Outrageous! Simply outrageous!!

Lock the thread! Call out the National Guard!! Slice those courgettes and fry them in a nice, salted butter!! Linseed that lacrosse stick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom