Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Range extenders are nothing new - the BMW i3 offered this years ago - and RE cars are generally classified as hybrids, although the most extreme form of hybrid, given that the engine can’t drive the wheels. Not a pure BEV and not zero emissions, so not qualified for entry to ZE zones (ie Oxford).

icowden

Veteran
Hybrid-bag of crap re emissions

My favourite bit is this about the LEVC TX (electric taxi):-

Our battery has been chosen because it is an appropriate size to cover most taxi driver’s daily usage. Bigger batteries are required in high-performance passenger vehicles to ensure adequate real-world range is maintained when the power available is utilised. However, in a commercial vehicle, bigger batteries mean more cost and more weight, reducing the efficiency and running cost advantages of the electric taxi. TX is backed up by a petrol range-extender to reduce range-anxiety and provide greater usability and flexibility.
This is a £55,000 vehicle before options. My translation is "we wanted to try and make an e-taxi quickly and cheaply, but rather than partner with existing manufacturers we've screwed it up badly and ended up with a car that has 64 miles of range when new.. so we've bunged a diesel generator in the boot. "

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Range extenders are nothing new - the BMW i3 offered this years ago - and RE cars are generally classified as hybrids, although the most extreme form of hybrid, given that the engine can’t drive the wheels. Not a pure BEV and not zero emissions, so not qualified for entry to ZE zones (ie Oxford).

Do they think people are fooled by calling it a range extender? Its a hybrid. Not quite as crap as a the self charging hybrids with less than 10 mile range, still crap

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I see Audi have entered an electric vehicle in the Paris - Dakar rally.

Unfortunately due to the distance of each stage it can't complete a stage.

However, they have overcome this by going back to old technology whereby they have a petrol engine fitted to the car running all the time and recharging the batteries.

Apparently though, although quite low on emissions this is not an acceptable solution for governments.

Aren't you 12 months late ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Had my arm twisted to get this vehicle. Great fun and has already become favourite with the wife. New wheels and tyres for winter field work

20220720_115319.jpg

midlife

Guru
Is it me or is the article above comparing a. £50k Tesla (plus the cost of home solar) against say a £17k Ford Fiesta ?

icowden

Veteran
Is it me or is the article above comparing a. £50k Tesla (plus the cost of home solar) against say a £17k Ford Fiesta ?

It's comparing a family EV against a family ICE vehicle. We have discussed at length that there is a significant price discrepancy. If you purchased the Tesla in the US it would cost you £29,000. Does that make it better?

The fact is that the Tesla 3 is the lower end "affrordable" family Tesla (or the Y which is more of a family SUV). If you read the start, Bobby did say that he could have compared at a similar price bracket but that didn't seem fair. He also takes great pains to compare costs *without* the benefit of solar or even home charging.

Did you also find the Adam Kay article unfair and wonder why he's whinging about buying a poor quality EV and failing to do any preparation?
https://archive.ph/20220709172345/h...ticle/adam-kay-my-electric-car-hell-5jchf3sms

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
It's about running cost and emissions
He was being fair by comparing an 'economical' petrol car against a Tesla.

A fairer comparison if looking at performance the RS6 would be suitable. But for highlighting the running costs of an EV it would not be fair to use a gas guzzler Audi

It's you. He was going to use a car that compares in performance to the Tesla.

"It’s nowhere near in terms of cost, though. The Tesla Model 3 starts at around £50,000 which is eye-wateringly expensive until you consider that the RRP of the Audi RS 6 Avant starts at £95,080."

In the end he decided to use a cheaper and not named car.

FWIW my EV was 17k at two years old and fuel costs are 1/10 of the Fiesta.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The article looks to be the same thing we have concluded in this thread. Basically if you are in a position to own an EV then it certianly makes sense. If you can charge it at home and/or fit solar panels then you are laughing. But few people I know are, so have to put up with gas guzzlers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's you. He was going to use a car that compares in performance to the Tesla.

"It’s nowhere near in terms of cost, though. The Tesla Model 3 starts at around £50,000 which is eye-wateringly expensive until you consider that the RRP of the Audi RS 6 Avant starts at £95,080."

In the end he decided to use a cheaper and not named car.

FWIW my EV was 17k at two years old and fuel costs are 1/10 of the Fiesta.

At least the RS6 sounds incredible, rather than like a washing machine on spin ! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom