Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
He could have chosen an automatic ICE vehicle, which would have removed one of his whinges. The article would have been more persuasive that way IMHO. Interesting article otherwise

All these articles are utter bollocks, no matter what side of the divide you sit . I take the view that whomever is the author has some axe to grind or is being paid for a certain outcome.

gzoom

Über Member
We are coming to the end of our Pan-european road trip to Norway inour EV. In the last 24hrs we've been to Oslo, Copenhagen, Hamburg, and tomorrow will be in Amsterdam.

Our 5 years old EV, hasn't set a foot wrong, I enjoy cycling, but the personal freedom offered by a car is just unrivalled.

Honestly is there a more beautiful country in Europe?

52235212757_7b9f48b642_k_d.jpg

52229591253_eaba7e5575_k_d.jpg

52236491384_13c800e8b4_3k_d.jpg

We are coming to the end of our Pan-european road trip to Norway inour EV. In the last 24hrs we've been to Oslo, Copenhagen, Hamburg, and tomorrow will be in Amsterdam.

Our 5 years old EV, hasn't set a foot wrong, I enjoy cycling, but the personal freedom offered by a car is just unrivalled.

Honestly is there a more beautiful country in Europe?

Nothing an ICE couldn't do.

gzoom

Über Member
Nothing an ICE couldn't do.

Amazing isn't it, we have gone from seeing EVs as nothing but milk floats to now having to comment on combustion cars been able to 'match' what an EV can do on a 3000 mile road trip across Europe, including doing 170km/h+ on the Autobahn and climbing up some of the tallest passes in Norway :smile:.

Ofcourse for me one of the big incentives is fuel savings, yes it's not life changing amounts of money, am not sure anyone here would turn down free for fuel.

52237567095_95d959c412_c_d.jpg

icowden

Veteran
Did you use free charging stations ?
Back in the day before Tesla went mass market, Elon included lifetime free charging at Tesla superchargers - so yes @gzoom will have been able to use free charging.

If @gzoom had had to pay and only charged at Tesla superchargers, and the rate was 48p per kwh (current UK rate), he would have spent £502 on electricity.- so £133 less than petrol according to his estimate.

He was in Norway though for a large part of the journey, so the rate there is 22p per kwh - if he had only been in Norway that would reduce the cost to £230. Out of Norway, Denmark and Germany, Denmark is the most expensive at 30p per kwh which gives a total spend using tesla superchargers only of £313.80

It is likely however that @gzoom will have had access to a variety of charging. Some hotels will have free charging for guests, or if using AirB&B then probably included in tariff. Even if he was paying for electricity it is likely that it would have cost him less than half what it would have cost for Petrol.

The above is also an illustration of how countries with green incentives make owning an EV even more desirable.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Back in the day before Tesla went mass market, Elon included lifetime free charging at Tesla superchargers - so yes @gzoom will have been able to use free charging.

If @gzoom had had to pay and only charged at Tesla superchargers, and the rate was 48p per kwh (current UK rate), he would have spent £502 on electricity.- so £133 less than petrol according to his estimate.

He was in Norway though for a large part of the journey, so the rate there is 22p per kwh - if he had only been in Norway that would reduce the cost to £230. Out of Norway, Denmark and Germany, Denmark is the most expensive at 30p per kwh which gives a total spend using tesla superchargers only of £313.80

It is likely however that @gzoom will have had access to a variety of charging. Some hotels will have free charging for guests, or if using AirB&B then probably included in tariff. Even if he was paying for electricity it is likely that it would have cost him less than half what it would have cost for Petrol.

The above is also an illustration of how countries with green incentives make owning an EV even more desirable.

Thanks that’s made things clearer, just like comparing apples with apples . :rolleyes: Maybe we should all move to Norway ?! Utopia :becool::laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member

Chislenko

Veteran
Thanks that’s made things clearer, just like comparing apples with apples . :rolleyes: Maybe we should all move to Norway ?! Utopia :becool::laugh:

Have you seen the price of beer in Norway!!

Went to Stavanger on a trip to watch my team play Viking a good 15 years back. One of our older supporters went into the bar and enquired the price. It was something rediculous like £6.00 a pint (Krona equivalent) back then. He then told the bar owner there was circa 100 of us and he would get all our custom if he did a discounted price. I think we got it for £4.00 a pint. I don't even pay that nowadays in UK.

icowden

Veteran
Have you seen the price of beer in Norway!!
Norway is very expensive for lots of things, Norway protect their farmers so milk and butter tends to be expensive. Anything that is imported has a high duty, so is expensive - particularly alcohol. Eating out is expensive as restaurants pay their staff very well. Beer is expensive due to taxes. The cheapest is around £6 rising to £8 or so in airports. So a bit like drinking in London...

gzoom

Über Member
I missed that point, I just saw more 'I am considerably richer than you' posing.

I have to say am not sure where you are getting this from?? Less than 20 years ago I owned nothing but a £500 Micra and the clothes on my back, 30 years ago I couldn't speak a word of English.....Is your issue that no one should strive to better themselves in life??

Even you do have an issue with me personally for some bizzar reason wanting to improve the quality of life of me and my family, am not sure why you think EVs are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom