Are you strong enough for a living funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
To me the whole business of having an open casket at a wake, as some Catholics do, or the people in South East Asia who have their embalmed rellies in the house with them for years, all seems a bit odd to me, as a non religious person.

We all deal with this tricky stuff with odd rituals, and coping strategies, that might seem strange to others..

I've got my mother's ashes here from her private cremation,.no one went to that.. But she paid for a tea party for all her mates at a Hotel for after she was gone.

Her ashes get sprinkled in with newly planted trees, or just generally round about the place, so she can keep an eye on me working, and she gets recycled into strong growing trees. .

She probs also does a lot of tutting when I knock off early, or don't plough quite straight..
I was being a little flippant, I admit. I do get the we all deal with things differently which is absolutely fine but I'm afraid my early suspicions are also still relevant. That said, I'm sure your mum is exceedingly proud when she sees you ploughing at all.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was being a little flippant, I admit. I do get the we all deal with things differently which is absolutely fine but I'm afraid my early suspicions are also still relevant. That said, I'm sure your mum is exceedingly proud when she sees you ploughing at all.

Well maybe.

Tbh I have massive conflicts with myself over ploughing.

It's inverting the soil, messing up the micro flora, and liberating soil carbon too. :sad:

But at the same time, it's burying weeds that have got out of hand.
(And its kinda fun - when it's going well)

Some people say I over-think things, but I'm not sure, I'll have to ponder that one a little longer yet..

Slick

Guru
Well maybe.

Tbh I have massive conflicts with myself over ploughing.

It's inverting the soil, messing up the micro flora, and liberating soil carbon too. :sad:

But at the same time, it's burying weeds that have got out of hand.
(And its kinda fun - when it's going well)

Some people say I over-think things, but I'm not sure, I'll have to ponder that one a little longer yet..
I've always felt it was slightly hypnotic and have always enjoyed the matches.

Maybe we're both over thinking it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've always felt it was slightly hypnotic and have always enjoyed the matches.

Maybe we're both over thinking it.

I guess the only defence we could make against

"Err guys.. MASSIVE THREAD DRIFT"

Is that we are discussing turning over sods, which could be vaguely sexton like talk..

DSC_4666.JPG

Here we go.. This is better.

Nowt to do with funerals. But a bike ride in the woods..

Seldom fails to cheer a person up

pawl

Legendary Member
Don’t think many will attend my funeral.as insist that one the attendees has to scatter my ashes at the summit of Scafell I know not exactly considerate of me but I could have chosen Ben Nevis.

lane

Veteran
Funeral would be a bit of waste of a day for me so might as well do it when I'm. dead. Pitty I can't defer some other activities until I am dead as well.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Do you think that they would cremate my bike so I could be buried with the ashes ? That would be a selfish act though as I`d like to think that somebody else was getting enjoyment from it. Personally I would`nt attend a living funeral, they are bad enough at the best of times.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Don’t think many will attend my funeral.as insist that one the attendees has to scatter my ashes at the summit of Scafell I know not exactly considerate of me but I could have chosen Ben Nevis.

It would have been dangerous too on Ben Nevis because of all the discarded banana skins that take two years to degrade, so I read today. For all I know Scafell could be the same !!

Last time I was up Scafell I met a chap who had gone up to spread his father's ashes. Trouble was the top was packed and it was blowing a gale. He didn't have anything to dig a hole with. I don't know what he did in the end but my sandwiches tasted ok.

Last time I was up Scafell I met a chap who had gone up to spread his father's ashes. Trouble was the top was packed and it was blowing a gale. He didn't have anything to dig a hole with. I don't know what he did in the end but my sandwiches tasted ok.
My dad was buried on a very wet and windy day.
Not too rare in those parts.
I well remember as we huddled thinking that it would have amused him.

Top Bottom