ARGH!!!! Cycling is bad for your health!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got bitten by a tick on a bike ride 3 weeks ago, then earlier this week a rash started to appear round the bite site...went to docs and now in possession of enough antibiotics kill every bacteria in my body to treat possible Lyme disease - great! Last thing I need!!!! :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm... they aren't easy to get off are they? It took us half an hour with the NHS helpline saying ... don't pull it off ... you have to persuade it to let go... when one bit my son. That was about 6 weeks ago, I didn't realise you had to look so long after. We think he got it in school, in the nature area - so schools back too!

Good luck ... sounds like you have noticed it quickly.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Apparently the rash appears 2 or 4 weeks after the bite.... only noticed it because it's on my lower leg, so very visible. Tick had fallen off itself fortunately, so didn't need to extract that....

yello

Fret not (too much!) pp... ticks/parasites always sound gross, and there are risks from them (e.g. Lymes diesease) but, in reality, there's not usually much problem... rash and redness aside.

There's loads around were I live and I always check myself after having been for a walk through fields etc. I've found the odd few but not burrowed in, just sitting there... knife and fork at the ready!

The dog gets them though. We have to have a daily check. She quite enjoys the attention of being checked and de-ticked!

Willow

We had a leaflet distributed to the school I work at to remind parents of the nasty little blighters (tics not children!)

Not to make light of the situation but to make you smile

DS2 age 11 was clearly not asleep when he should have been so I went in his room and found him inspecting his leg with a magnifying glass. Naturally I asked what he was doing to which his response was that he had a tick on his leg. Being very sympathetic I told him to GO TO BED - in the morning he saw the amusing side of his paranoia and when he announced it was just a bit of fluff.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Never bothered with insect repellent as I was on a bike, not traipsing round in the bushes or grass...but hey, you live and learn - the little buggers clearly like hitching a ride!!!

girofan

Ticks will become an increasing problem in the UK due to global warming. Personally I blame George Bush! ;)
We don't seem to have a problem around Oswestry, (unless someone knows different) due to it being so bloody cold most of the year. :biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
Our cats get ticks in France and we have to remove them as follows:

Be very careful when removing a tick. Do not crush the body as this can inject the tick's stomach contents into the bloodstream complete with any infections. Use a removal tool or fine tweezers and do not touch the removed tick.

Needless to say, easier said than done when the patient is a cat..

Meanwhile, I hope your treatment is completely successful.

I had one a few weeks back, attached to my calf when I got back to the workshop after a ride in the countryside, the pencil blow torch encouraged it to let go then I barbecued it.

Top Bottom