As a cyclist who do you dislike the most?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedking

Regular
i was young once just like everyone, i aint defending just stuff like this happens all the time. your still alive an if it was just words then sticks an stones. im guess your old then 20. so just ignore it.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I agree, Cyclopathic, and I'd repeat that many allow their cycling blinkers to obscure the basic fact that pedestrians and animals should be given priority on shared paths.
It makes sense in any situation on the road, path or shared path that one makes allowances for the most vulnerable road user whoever that may be. I don't know if this is the official highway code approach but I seem to remember it's something along those lines.
I ride the same roads as everyone else and I think the biggest factor in my enjoyment and to a large extent my safety is my own attitude and behaviour. Pedestrians should look where they are going for sure but it can be easy to forget that bikes are fairly silent. Despite being a cyclist for 30 years I have walked out and nearly been hit by a bike and I don't think it does anybody any good to get all bolshy about it. It's just counter productive.
I am pleased that the general opinion on this thread seems to come down quite conclusively on the side of trying to be tolerant and understanding. We are all aware that this is not always easy and that it is made even harder by the fact that we are always a bit edgy from the adrenaline of being constantly alert (hopefully) but it is still important that we don't act like the people we complain about.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It makes sense in any situation on the road, path or shared path that one makes allowances for the most vulnerable road user whoever that may be. I don't know if this is the official highway code approach but I seem to remember it's something along those lines.
I ride the same roads as everyone else and I think the biggest factor in my enjoyment and to a large extent my safety is my own attitude and behaviour. Pedestrians should look where they are going for sure but it can be easy to forget that bikes are fairly silent. Despite being a cyclist for 30 years I have walked out and nearly been hit by a bike and I don't think it does anybody any good to get all bolshy about it. It's just counter productive.
I am pleased that the general opinion on this thread seems to come down quite conclusively on the side of trying to be tolerant and understanding. We are all aware that this is not always easy and that it is made even harder by the fact that we are always a bit edgy from the adrenaline of being constantly alert (hopefully) but it is still important that we don't act like the people we complain about.

I know what you mean Cyclo,and yes the adrenalin is definately flowing most times. However my point is that silent or loud if they have ear plugs in then they aint going to hear!! If they are unaware of their surroundings by wearing ear plugs then they are at fault, they have created a dangerous situation not only for themselves but for other road users. This endemic of texting and walking like zombies without looking ahead, left right etc affects all, not just cyclists. My work involves carrying ladders and the number of times i've had to stop so that someone moronically walking and texting can pass by, oblivious of my presence i couldn't count!
A video to show how some pedestrians should watch where they're walking....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFY_eGHtqg:ohmy:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I tend to shout "Tufty Club" as most of the peds who step out without looking are old enough to have been a member and old enough to know better.
My driving instructor called his one man firm Tufty. I only knew roughly what it was because I'd heard my grandparents mention it and that was 20 years ago. There can't be many people who would get the reference. Funny though.

rvw

Guru
I got very annoyed a couple of weeks ago: pedestrian stepped off the pavement, without looking, back to the traffic. I yelled at her to look out - and got a mouthful of abuse starting "you didn't need to shout..." (sorry, love, yes I did: the alternative was to mow you down and that would have hurt.)

S & I got thanked for pinging our bell to warn some hikers on a quiet road not so long ago. That backs up what others have posted about good manners not being universal!

Top Bottom