As a cyclist who do you dislike the most?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

Those who are clearly unmatchably fitter than me and take unspoken delight in sprinting past me on hills I can barely turn a crank on.

I say hello to everyone, roadie or not. Even pedestrians. I thank drivers and never lose my rag with close passes, mobile phone zombies or unattentive drivers coming out of side roads. Life is too short to dislike everyone.

Drug-addled chavs and d£&kheads, though, do my head in in every arena. I am also developing a problem with impossibly fat drivers who look at me like dirt while they eat a pastie.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't help thinking that on a pavement albeit shared that pedestrians have a right to a bit of a day dream and that us cyclists should perhaps reel our necks in a bit. After all we are used to being vigilant whereas pedestrians may be taken a bit by surprise and may not even realise that it is a shared use path. I just hate to think that we get to the point where we are behaving towards pedestrians in the same way that vindictive drivers behave towards us, using the vehicle as a weapon of intimidation and rebuke. Like begets like and if these peds are also drivers the vicious "cycle" if you will, is perpetuated. Ultimately we loose in this scenario because we are much squashier than cars. So I conclude and say we shouldn't just Buzz people because we think they aren't paying enough attention on what is after all a shared path.
The ones i buzz are the ones who step off the pavement onto roads without looking right,left and right again, not the ones on shared paths. It annoys me that they don't have a thought to look and listen for other road users, yet expect other road users to look out for them. On the other hand cyclists who use the pavement, sometimes wearing ear plugs, and generally ignoring rules are a pain for pedestrians.
I know it's give and take, but my gripe was from a cyclist's point of view.:thumbsup:

For me it's chavs! They always make a comment when i pass them in my "mamil"gear. I know that they are lacking in brain cells,clothing sense, the ability to speak clearly etc, and therefore i shouldn't get worked up over their moronic comments, but i do tend to let it get to me.
The other night i was on my way home from a 30 mile ride, i was quite pleased with myself because i'd reached 1.5mph more, over my usual average speed for a ride, and i was looking forward to replenishing my lost energy with quite a few pints of real ale in my local.:cheers:
Unfortunately i had to pass through my town centre on my way home due to road work detours. I was confronted by underclass chavs running in the road with bottles of WKD etc,(many had been smashed on the road). One horrible female wearing UGG boots and a hoodie walked out towards me, completely oblivious of me coming towards her, even though i had my usual fluorescent gear on. I unclipped my left foot in case i had to lance the creature, fortunately the moron hesitated as i approached, but she shouted "Move you f..k..g t..t"! I replied "please die as soon as possible so that you don't become too much of a burden on the welfare state"! This seemed to throw the idiot as she stopped to scratch her empty head!:laugh:
Near to home the second incident arose. A male chav was in the middle of the road with what i presume was it's girlfriend. The idiots were drooling over their mobile phones(like most chavs do), i wanted them out of my way so i gave a loud "ahem! The male as i passed said "alright love have you had a nice girly ride"!, followed by a loud drug induced guffaw! I turned around and told the lowlife what i thought of his emloyment status,his inability to cycle more than a few yards, the fact that his mother is a bald toothless heroin addict( i know of the family) and that he'll probably be dead long before he reaches my age, and therefore we should celebrate the fact!:cheers:
Who/what do you dislike the most and do you confront them or try to put them out of your mind?
I cannot stand pedestrians who misjudge my speed, walk out in front of me and then complain when I neaarly hit them as tho' I am the one at fault

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Red light jumpers, NNNNYYYYYYAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!

That said, I did cycle down a one way street the wrong way especially to show Pat 5mph part of the cycle track in Dumbarton. That got her going, and then repayed the compliment by going through a red light. Touché Pat, touché.

Matt1705

Über Member
I hate parents who think it's ok to cross a busy road with their children when there is a crossing a short distance away.

Not really got any pet hates from a cyclists point of view yet as I've only just got a road bike :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hate parents who think it's ok to cross a busy road with their children when there is a crossing a short distance away.
Depends on how badly the crossing has been designed.

One near me - I can cross the road to an island in the middle of the road (by lights with NO ped crossing), but therefore with small gaps between phases as well as other gaps OR I can walk down the road 100 m to the pedestrian crossing - which gets me half way across the road, then wait for another full cycle (over a minute) of the lights to get the next pedestrian crossing phase (its in the right order if you are coming from the other direction), to cross to the other side. Then I have to walk 50 m back again to get to another pedestrian crossing - again split over both sides of the road - but timings are better - all to get to where I wanted to get to which was to walk down the side road. Which one would you do?

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Not really got any pet hates from a cyclists point of view yet as I've only just got a road bike :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It is OK. They can cross wherever they like. You'll need to get over it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Now these creatures you can have fun with! Last night i had three, two that walked out without checking to look right as i was turning left into their path, and one who was too busy taking the cellophane wrapper of his cigarette packet as he walked into the road to notice me.
Over the years i have perfected the skimming technique, where you miss the idiots by about a foot as you turn abruptly past them:cycle: . Look back and see the startled look onto i-pod man's /woman's face, they know they've done wrong, but somehow i don't think they'll learn their lesson!

They're probably entirely flabbergasted that anyone would be such a cock as to almost run into them deliberately while they are just walking around.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The ones i buzz are the ones who step off the pavement onto roads without looking right,left and right again, not the ones on shared paths. It annoys me that they don't have a thought to look and listen for other road users, yet expect other road users to look out for them. On the other hand cyclists who use the pavement, sometimes wearing ear plugs, and generally ignoring rules are a pain for pedestrians.
I know it's give and take, but my gripe was from a cyclist's point of view.:thumbsup:
Ok so you weren't talking about shared paths but my personal opinion is that buzzing people isn't necessary even if we feel justified. It's no different from a car buzzing one of us for making a mistake and we hate that.
I tend to shout "lookout" or give my bell a ring if I see someone wandering blindly towards the road.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
has anybody ever told you that you are a disgrace to cycling?
I have to watch out constantly for these idiots who wander round unaware of their surroundings. If i hit them we both end up injured! Buzzing them teaches them a lesson. What would you do, apologise for being on a bike in the first place? Just because you've posted 27,000+ messages it doesn't mean that you've cycled 27,000+ miles does it(?!):scratch:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok so you weren't talking about shared paths but my personal opinion is that buzzing people isn't necessary even if we feel justified. It's no different from a car buzzing one of us for making a mistake and we hate that.
I tend to shout "lookout" or give my bell a ring if I see someone wandering blindly towards the road.
Shouting or using a bell will have no effect as they have headphones in. Besides, bells and roadbikes don't seem to go together.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Shouting or using a bell will have no effect as they have headphones in. Besides, bells and roadbikes don't seem to go together.
I still maintain that buzzing them is no different to what some car drivers will do if they think we have been out of order. I totally understand why you do it. It can be hugely frustrating, annoying and dangerous when they wander over a road like it was a summer meadow and I may even have done it myself many years ago but my attitude has definitely changed and i now think it does more harm than good in the long run and has the potential to be dangerous if it's misjudged or something unexpected happens.

Top Bottom