As a cyclist who do you dislike the most?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
The mobile phone lemmings or Ipod lemming pedestrians ..who always seem to walk in front of you oblivious to your presence, even while walking towards you.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to brake hard to avoid them, I even had a jogger (with headphones) run into me while I was stationary.

I need to fit an airzound to my bike ...new underwear anyone :giggle:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The mobile phone lemmings or Ipod lemming pedestrians ..who always seem to walk in front of you oblivious to your presence, even while walking towards you.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to brake hard to avoid them, I even had a jogger (with headphones) run into me while I was stationary.

I need to fit an airzound to my bike ...new underwear anyone :giggle:

Now these creatures you can have fun with! Last night i had three, two that walked out without checking to look right as i was turning left into their path, and one who was too busy taking the cellophane wrapper of his cigarette packet as he walked into the road to notice me.
Over the years i have perfected the skimming technique, where you miss the idiots by about a foot as you turn abruptly past them:cycle: . Look back and see the startled look onto i-pod man's /woman's face, they know they've done wrong, but somehow i don't think they'll learn their lesson!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was out in the park last night, the temperatuire was pleasently balmy, the sun dipping over the hills of Manchester... The coo of the woodpidgeon providing a backdrop to the children skipping and playing joyfuilly around their contented parents. In the background, like a Danny Boyle movie was my ipod, setting the pace, the mood and the ambience of this idyllic scene.

I was just thinking of further enhancing this state of inner peace with a cigarette, to share with two of my friends, when some ar5ehole on a pushbike, came swooping past me with inches to spare.

Why? Just why? Do these people have no lives?
Constant road/pavement observation is the name of the game, if yo don' want to be buzzed!!!:hello:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Over the years i have perfected the skimming technique, where you miss the idiots by about a foot as you turn abruptly past them:cycle: . Look back and see the startled look onto i-pod man's /woman's face, they know they've done wrong, but somehow i don't think they'll learn their lesson!

Seems a bit harsh- peds do unpredictable stuff and we owe them a duty of care. That woman probably went home muttering to her family about bloody cyclists. You could maybe try a more friendly approach next time?

Michael8

Regular
I'm a dog owner but will always place it on the lead or grab it's collar when cyclists are about. On my way home from work on The Trans Pennine CYCLE PATH, the number of times I have to slam on or swerve to miss dogs is unbelievable. Dogs owners with them extending leads that go across the hole path are taking the biscuit. I also had to swerve a dopey looking dog and it's owner who was wearing headphones the other day, had no response from him at all and he never heard my rant due to the headphones. Seriously need to train in a bit of Bike Jousting

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
as a cyclist what do i dislike the most?

the pompous distinction that some cyclists make between 'serious cyclists' (themselves) and other people on bicycles... yeah so what, you bought all the gear so you can look like a cyclist... but that does NOT make you more serious than I.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

the pompous distinction that some cyclists make between 'serious cyclists' (themselves) and other people on bicycles... yeah so what, you bought all the gear so you can look like a cyclist... but that does NOT make you more serious than I.

Where's Bonj when needed :laugh:

Phil Collins. Not really cycle related but I dislike him when I'm cycling too.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
As a cyclist I dislike no one. For when I am on my bike, I am at peace with the world. It's me, the pedals, and the pain.

Off the bike, I pretty much feckin hate everyone.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
People who have no control over their dog/children, then get sh1tty when you nearly run one over as it bimbles into your path :wacko:
On shared use paths I'm inclined to give way and slow down quite a lot for kids and dogs and other peds come to that. They are after all shared use. I don't think we as cyclists do ourselves any favours if we treat these as our own exclusive express ways and people out for a stroll with the kids or a dog shouldn't have to worry about looking over their shoulder all the time in case one of us is barreling through at a rate of knots.
I slow down, cover the brakes and give them a lot of room, even go onto the grass if necessary. Doing these things has ensured that kids and dogs leaping out hasn't been an issue for me. I imagine that the parents or owners might one day be driving their car and be more inclined to give me or another cyclist some space. I have realised it is impossible to tell drivers how to behave and that all I can do is set an example that I hope others will follow.
This is simply an explanation of how I deal with shared use and is not in any way a critisism of what you do. For all I know you do everything that I have said and have still had people getting shirty with you so I am not trying to pass judgement. Doing what I do can be aggravating when the path is busy and when people don't say thanks or even aknowledge you but for me it's worth it in the long run.
Just editing to add that I was assuming you meant on shared paths but have realised you didn't specify. On cycle paths and the road I completely expect peds and animals to be under control. I've certainly had near misses with peds who look at me as if it were my fault they weren't paying attention and it is very annoying. Sorry for what on reading back looks like a lecture.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Maybe but not the gormless owners who could easily move aside or kick the fecker off the shared path while it sh1ts
But it is a "shared" path and as long as they clear the crap up I have no problem with giving way. Shared paths inevitably mean a compromise. What difference could it possibly make to a persons life that they had to go slowly around a dog? If we want to go at a fair lick without enduring these hardships than we have to take our chances on the road. If we want to enjoy a less stressful, less dangerous ride then we have to put up with a few compromises.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Constant road/pavement observation is the name of the game, if yo don' want to be buzzed!!!:hello:
I can't help thinking that on a pavement albeit shared that pedestrians have a right to a bit of a day dream and that us cyclists should perhaps reel our necks in a bit. After all we are used to being vigilant whereas pedestrians may be taken a bit by surprise and may not even realise that it is a shared use path. I just hate to think that we get to the point where we are behaving towards pedestrians in the same way that vindictive drivers behave towards us, using the vehicle as a weapon of intimidation and rebuke. Like begets like and if these peds are also drivers the vicious "cycle" if you will, is perpetuated. Ultimately we loose in this scenario because we are much squashier than cars. So I conclude and say we shouldn't just Buzz people because we think they aren't paying enough attention on what is after all a shared path.

Top Bottom