"Audi driver and cyclist clash"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sorry...I'm an Audi driver, a cyclist and a motorcyclist.
It's very good of you to apologise.
This case involved a cyclist in a cycle lane clearly coming to the end of that lane so should have been expecting a vehicle to merge into same lane at some point.
You're right he should have expected the driver to merge, I'd suggest that the point he should have expected this particular driver to merge would have been BEHIND him.

Monsieur

You're right he should have expected the driver to merge, I'd suggest that the point he should have expected this particular driver to merge would have been BEHIND him.

Read the whole post Sir.
I am still alive because I EXPECT AND ANTICIPATE that someone else will make a mistake which may well affect me. A perfect driver would have merged behind the cyclist. I haven't yet met a perfect driver so I wouldn't have been surprised to see driver merge in front of me.

Prior planning.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Read the whole post Sir.
I did read the whole post my good man, aside from the bits I quoted you suggest that camera cyclists go out looking for confrontation, displayed some aggressive tendencies and waved your willy a bit to let us know what a great road user you are. I just picked out the interesting bits :thumbsup:

Davidsw8

First thing - why quote the make of car? Is it only Audi drivers who are a danger to cyclists?
Secondly - he may have crept over before he should have done. Surey though if you are on a cycle (or on a motorcycle) why would you risk your life to berate a car driver? Half a tonne of metal and glass is going to make a hell of a mess of a cyclist without any harm coming to the car driver. Pull back and let the driver go.
Thirdly - if someone had 'nearly' knocked me off my bike and potentially harmed me I sure as hell wouldn't be polite and calm to the driver. I'd be close to having my hands around his throat.

I'm not saying this is the case in this incident but many of the so called 'incidents' I've seen filmed on this forum actually are caused by the cyclist themselves - riding too far out, taking up too much of a traffic lane, intentially looking for a confrontation.
This case involved a cyclist in a cycle lane clearly coming to the end of that lane so should have been expecting a vehicle to merge into same lane at some point.

Prior planning my dear boy.

For fecks sake just ride the bike, use proper caution, don't **** anyone off and, mostly, you will remain unscathed and stress-free.

Says me - 50 years old, driving a car and motorcyle since 1979, riding a bicycle since 1964 and to this day not involved in any accident whatsoever. Why?Because I expect someone else to make a mistake.

I agree, there's no need to generalise because of the type of car someone drives, I have no idea about makes of cars anyway so it's usually all lost on me ^_^ though, I always think Mini drivers are going to be nice, I don't know why cos quite often, they're not!

Ideally, of course it's best not to eff anyone off, but sometimes, if you're almost knocked off your bike, you can lose your rationality a bit. Tapping the car wasn't ever going to endear the driver but it was this guys' knee-jerk reaction to a very close call and I think he dealt with the confrontation very well.

It does seem to be a pattern that upon being called out on bad behavior, the perpetrator will hone in on the slightest error the accuser makes rather than just say 'sorry mate, I was wrong'.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
He's lucky he did not cut me up like that because he would have had more than a bang on the roof due to me not having ABS brakes and not being able to stop in time before scrapeing down the side of his car :whistle: " Sorry officer,i had nowhere to go when he nearly ran me over "
I agree not all drivers of certain cars are bad, even the little dinky car drivers have an air of ankle biter about them somethimes !

Tynan

Veteran
given how much that lane narrowed, that cyclist's line looked perfect to me, he let the car before the Audi merge and made it clear that he was taking the slot behind it, the Audi driver clearly had no intention of acknowledging the bikes right to get in his way

not aware of the offence of touching a car

+1 for drugged or drunk and calming down when he saw the camera, you don't drive someone off the road like that to have a friendly chat

and I think there is a correlation between brands and drivers, a certain sort of person tends to buy a certain sort of car, buying an expensive/oversized car for driving in London suggests self importance and arrogance imho

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and I think there is a correlation between brands and drivers, a certain sort of person tends to buy a certain sort of car, buying an expensive/oversized car for driving in London suggests self importance and arrogance imho
I'm with Tynan. Certain marques are marketed deliberately, at a cost of millions, to target certain buyers. Hands up, I've had company cars and private motorbikes which were projections of my ego, lol which is why I'd never own a Jap bike I guess! The ultimate driving machine in one country is a munich taxi in another.

The stereotyping of Audi drivers strikes a chord with so many cyclists that there must be more than a grain of truth in the idea that they are driven with and by a sense of entitlement. A disproportionately high % of close passes on my commute are performed by Audi's. The presence of an A8 almost guarantees a lousy overtake ime.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
As for stereotyping, I can categorically say that the worst car drivers are the ones who drive 4 wheeled cars. To be honest in fact, they are the only car drivers I see that make rash decisions and are more likely to "rage" when challenged. Look out for those 4 wheelers folks.....

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
First thing - why quote the make of car? Is it only Audi drivers who are a danger to cyclists?
Secondly - he may have crept over before he should have done. Surey though if you are on a cycle (or on a motorcycle) why would you risk your life to berate a car driver? Half a tonne of metal and glass is going to make a hell of a mess of a cyclist without any harm coming to the car driver. Pull back and let the driver go.
Thirdly - if someone had 'nearly' knocked me off my bike and potentially harmed me I sure as hell wouldn't be polite and calm to the driver. I'd be close to having my hands around his throat.

I'm not saying this is the case in this incident but many of the so called 'incidents' I've seen filmed on this forum actually are caused by the cyclist themselves - riding too far out, taking up too much of a traffic lane, intentially looking for a confrontation.

Prior planning my dear boy.

For fecks sake just ride the bike, use proper caution, don't **** anyone off and, mostly, you will remain unscathed and stress-free.

Says me - 50 years old, driving a car and motorcyle since 1979, riding a bicycle since 1964 and to this day not involved in any accident whatsoever. Why?Because I expect someone else to make a mistake.

OMG - is this a joke?! It surely must be?!

He "may have crept over before he should have done"?

WTF - my stance on this is the same no matter what make of car and what driver - if they are close enough when overtaking that I can bang on their car they are too flipping (and you know the word I really mean here) close!

I'm glad you've managed 50 years of cycling without incident - I managed the first 20 years of cycling without incident too but over the last 10 have had plenty - I genuinely think the roads are busier and drivers more selfish than ever!

We can expect to anticiate or whatever dross you quoted but we all get caught out don't we?!!?????

Top Bottom