"Audi driver and cyclist clash"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Can you point me to that? I've just viewed it again and cannot spot it.

It seemed like a polite exchange of views between two reasonable people, one of whom (the motorist) had just made a mistake. Hats off to the cyclist for making his reasonable points in a reasonable manner
nope, just watched again with headphones and the section I mis-heard was when he was discussing a "life and death" I thought he asked the cyclist to nod for the camera, as he nods and so does the cyclist.

My opinion still stands though

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A perfect driver would have merged behind the cyclist. .

Rubbish.

Any other driver would have merged behind. They do it to me a hundred times a day. This little man had to get in front though, had to be first, had to push the cyclist around.

I take your point about the Audi Comment and about anticipation, it sounds as if you are indeed a very a good experienced driver. but you are defending the driver in this way too far here. Feel free to read some of my posts and you'll find me to be one of the most forgiving types on CC but I'm afraid this chap would have truly pushed my patience.

Sorry...I'm an Audi driver, ........
You gotta laugh - guy who says he's an audi "driver", and goes on

- to assert his place on the road, because it's up to the cyclist to "Pull back and let the driver go"; yea we know - your Audi is bigger.
- with, for good value, a stupid generalisation about cyclists with cameras causing incidents themselves;
- leading into - the cyclist "should have been expecting a vehicle to merge into same lane at some point";

- and then crowns it with the utter vacuity of "Prior planning my dear boy."

Yup - an Audi driver all right. No question. Prior planning is what other road users have to do to facilitate your regal progress, unimpeded by any use of the brake pedal.

And you couldn't make it up - you whinge that Audi drivers are unfairly and unjustly picked on! Priceless :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
And you couldn't make it up - you whinge that Audi drivers are unfairly and unjustly picked on! Priceless :laugh:

If it is legitimate to tar all Audi drivers with the same brush because of the behaviour of some, it is equally legitimate to tar all bike riders with the same brush because of the behaviour of some: You can't have it both ways just because you are a bike rider

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If it is legitimate to tar all Audi drivers with the same brush because of the behaviour of some, it is equally legitimate to tar all bike riders with the same brush because of the behaviour of some: You can't have it both ways just because you are a bike rider
The vast majority of cyclists I see are riding courteously and within the law. When they don't and are challenged on the matter the vast majority respond positively and not aggressively.

Now replace the word 'cyclists' with 'Audi drivers' and 'riding' with 'driving' and see if it still rings true.

In my daily experience it doesn't. But maybe in SW19 it is different.

PK99

Legendary Member
The vast majority of cyclists I see are riding courteously and within the law. When they don't and are challenged on the matter the vast majority respond positively and not aggressively.

Now replace the word 'cyclists' with 'Audi drivers' and 'riding' with 'driving' and see if it still rings true.

I would say it does ring true -maybe it is the sort of people who live in West Sussex?

PK99

Legendary Member

I would say it does ring true -maybe it is the sort of people who live in West Sussex?

dodd82

Disagree.

Audi is a brand that attracts a certain type of profile of customer. I'll give you a clue - it's not a 65+, low income, married target audience.

So yes, you can identify character traits with car drivers - it doesn't mean that all Audi drivers are like this.

Put it this way - if you wanted to advertise your new product, a car racing computer game or a personalised number plate, which car owners would you target?

I make generalisations about car drivers based on what they're driving, and for me it seems to work.
Lots of Audi's carve you up or tailgate, Ford Galaxies go Mach 1 down motorways with headlights blazing, and I'm blessed with being victim to the great BMW ripoff and can honestly say most people I see in the showrooms are so far up their own botties they could clean the backs of their own teeth with a shammy leather.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I will genralise a bit, even when driving my car I think most car drivers show little or no consideration to other road users. They are always in a mad panic to get somewhere so much so they will leave peds, and bikes and sometimes other motorized vehicles stranded in the middle of the road either waiting to cross or waiting to turn right, even if the traffic in front of them is coming to a stop.

They will mostly do ANYTHING to get that all important one car length advantage on their travels pushing in or close passing a cyclists and generally acting agressively to do this.

Since starting to cycle I do not play this game anymore and let them go on their not so merry way.

thefollen

Veteran
I know we shouldn't have any preconceptions of drivers due to their vehicles, but after being hit and run by one I'm not a huge fan of BMWs. If in close proximity I'm quite cautious around them.

Also for some odd reason, I'm not a fan of Prius's either. Strange, because I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

green1

Über Member
Really? Last time I was out on my bike I was told to 'f'kin move, your in my way... Can't you see it's a red light?' while I was sat at set of lights. The rider then turned left the wrong way up a one way street. According to most on this thread all motorists are deranged, I have news folks, knobs are knobs, be it on their desk chair, bike or behind the wheel.

Top Bottom