"Audi driver and cyclist clash"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know we shouldn't have any preconceptions of drivers due to their vehicles, but after being hit and run by one I'm not a huge fan of BMWs. If in close proximity I'm quite cautious around them.

Also for some odd reason, I'm not a fan of Prius's either. Strange, because I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

This is one BMW driver you can feel safe around :thumbsup:

In my case BMW = Breaks My Wallet.

400bhp

Guru
..I indicated to other cars that I was overtaking.

Why did you indicate to "overtake" a cyclist? You haven't changed direction and are presumably continuing down the same road.

Pointless and confusing to drivers around.

400bhp

Guru
Well, blow me down with a feather...

Just got home from work in my lovely, warm and comfortable Audi (with radio 4 on of course) and slowed down as I approached a cyclist. Not dark yet but also not enough light to see the cyclist clearly. I indicated to other cars that I was overtaking, mirror check, and pulled out to overtake the cyclist giving more than enough room and guess what?

Cyclist (with no lights on, by the way) suddenly pulls out in front of me to go straight across road in front to get to the other pavement. I braked and tooted my external warning device to be met by a solitary finger raised towards the heavens.

Darn Audi drivers, eh?

Being the responsible driver/rider I anticipated that the cyclist could have been a knob and I was proven correct.
Prior planning.
Assume that the driver/rider/pedestrian is going to do something unexpected and you will be rewarded with safe passage to your destination.

So, in summary, today I have found that all cyclists I meet are knobs but I encountered a perfectly respectable BMW, Audi, Volvo, Landrover, Honda......

Why tell us the cyclist had no lights on if it appears it was still light?

400bhp

Guru
If Monsieur had to move out to overtake the cyclist (like you're supposed to) then surely it was right of him to signal his intentions to other road users?

No, see my edited post above. You're following the same road. and will neither decellerate/stop or change direction. Therefore pointless.

Advanced Driver training teaches you this - not done on the normal dummy test.

Monsieur

Why tell us the cyclist had no lights on if it appears it was still light?

Maybe every other driver was blessed with superb 20/20 vision. I considered it dull enough to turn my car lights on as did majority of the drivers around at the time. Mu car lights are automatic so if my car senses poor light then maybe a good idea to switch lights on if you're on a bike?
Maybe you are of a different thought?

Monsieur

Why did you indicate to "overtake" a cyclist? You haven't changed direction and are presumably continuing down the same road.

Pointless and confusing to drivers around.

Just my considerate driving.
I thought it prudent on a main road (A46) to alert drivers behind me that there was something in front of me that was causing me to deviate from my line of travel and therefore warn them that maybe they would need to do the same to pass the cyclist safely.
Should I not have done that and then let the driver behind me, who may have just been changing radio 2 to radio 4 or texting his wife that he'd be calling in at waitrose for those sausages she likes, not see the cyclist in time and either run into the back of him or not had time to deviate his line of travel and passed too close to him?

Or maybe I should have done what I did and maybe I should do the very same again. I would certainly hope that others would do the same for me.

Have I missed something here as I don't understand what I did wrong in this overtaking situation?

400bhp

Guru
You considered it dull enough but the cyclist didn't. It is of no relevance to the point you were getting across. As relevant as the colour of his bike, what clothes he was wearing or whether he was wearing a helmet.

400bhp

Guru
Just my considerate driving.
I thought it prudent on a main road (A46) to alert drivers behind me that there was something in front of me that was causing me to de3viate form my line of travel and therefore warn them that maybe they would need to do the same to pass the cyclist safely.
Should I not have done that and then let the driver behind me, who may have just been changing radio 2 to radio 4 or texting his wife that he'd be calling in at waitrose for those sausages she likes, not see the cyclist in time and either run into the back of him or not had time to deviate his line of travel and passed too close to him?

Or maybe I should have done what I did and maybe I should do the very same again. I would certainly hope that others would do the same for me.

Have I missed something here as I don't understand what I did wrong in this overtaking situation?

My post explains it. It is confusing a best.

Why not look to do some kind of advanced driving course? I'd recommend everyone do it. You might learn a thing or 2:smile:

Monsieur

No, see my edited post above. You're following the same road. and will neither decellerate/stop or change direction. Therefore pointless.

Advanced Driver training teaches you this - not done on the normal dummy test.

But doesn't changing your line of travel to pass an obstacle not come under the advanced training?
I think that maybe you need to re-read your manual.

Monsieur

My post explains it. It is confusing a best.

Why not look to do some kind of advanced driving course? I'd recommend everyone do it. You might learn a thing or 2:smile:

Confusing to indicate that I'm pulling out slightly to pass a cyclist on a busy main road?
Really?

Top Bottom