Backing up Android Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I might have to reset my android phone to its factory settings but there's one app that i don't want to lose. I don't have the option to move it to the SD card and can't reinstall it from the interweb as it's no longer available. Connecting my phone to my PC only gives me access to the SD card and not the phone's internal storage... is there any way i can get in and back it up? (Samsung Galaxy Ace)

Tim Hall

Have you got it linked to your Google account? If so it'll be backed up already in the all seeing Google computer.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Have you got it linked to your Google account? If so it'll be backed up already in the all seeing Google computer.
My google account is the reason* I might have to reset to factory settings, and only version 2 of the app is available in the play store. (version 1, the one i want to keep is listed under 'my apps' in the play store... will it still be there if its wiped from the phone?)

*I can't buy any apps because the play store keeps claiming my password is wrong, so i can't progress through to paying. I think the problem could be that the phone was my dads and various bits and bobs are connected to his account.

@Markymark ...I'm not sure i do, just running out of ideas to get around being unable to buy any apps.

Last edited:
If you've got another phone, there is, I believe, a way to transfer the app between phones. You'll need to use Google for help as I've only seen it referenced.

My google account is the reason* I might have to reset to factory settings, and only version 2 of the app is available in the play store. (version 1, the one i want to keep is listed under 'my apps' in the play store... will it still be there if its wiped from the phone?)

*I can't buy any apps because the playstore keep claiming my password is wrong, so i can't progress through to paying. I think the problem could be that the phone was my dad's and various bits and bobs are connected to his account.

@Markymark ...I'm not sure i do, just running out of ideas to get around being unable to buy any apps.
Indeed. I am not an expert on Android (other than how to laugh hysterically at people who use them) but it's entirely possible that you have apps from multiple accounts. If you're going nuclear and wiping them might it not be easier to start with deleting all apps you don't need then deleting the rest one by one until you wipe all those from the old account? This should at least keep you the single app you bought as that would be the last one you delete and all the One Direction fan data in the app you want to keep is safe

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Indeed. I am not an expert on Android (other than how to laugh hysterically at people who use them) but it's entirely possible that you have apps from multiple accounts. If you're going nuclear and wiping them might it not be easier to start with deleting all apps you don't need then deleting the rest one by one until you wipe all those from the old account?
regarding the problem with Google Play Store, online advice suggested uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, but since its a factory fitted app, i don't have the option to uninstall it... so I'm presuming the only way to get my dads old google account off the phone is to factory reset it (that's what my phone tells me when i try to delete that account).

regarding the problem with Google Play Store, online advice suggested uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, but since its a factory fitted app, i don't have the option to uninstall it... so I'm presuming the only way to get my dads old google account off the phone is to factory reset it (that's what my phone tells me when i try to delete that account).
So what is the actual problem? Can you not just switch the account on the app? Is it not letting you do that?

Have you managed to buy any apps on the phone prior to now? How did you get your LittleMix fan app you want to keep?

Top Bottom