Backing up Android Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I’d still delete but by bit until it potentially works before going nuclear.
apart from the three apps i want to keep (2 are on the SD card), there's only the one left that i can uninstall, and that's the one i want to keep.

I found some Samsung software called Kies that enables PC backup for contacts, music, pictures... which is currently failing to install its device drivers on my PC, and therefore won't connect to my phone.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

[QUOTE 5126419, member: 259"]Which app is it by the way? You can sometimes get older versions and sideload them onto Android phones rather than going through the app store.[/QUOTE]
Unified Remote. (link)
It's a bundle of remotes for Windows media player, iTunes, VLC, Spotify, Gom, etc. It allows me to search my hard drives on my phone, i can move the mouse, play, pause and skip music and video, turn subtitles on and off, etc with my phone... its full of all sorts of useless stuff, and some useful stuff too.

I'm currently using the free version but the paid for version enables me to make custom remotes, which will save me from learning how to make my own app because this should do exactly what i wanted to do... all i need to do is buy the sodding thing for a mere £3.89!

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

[QUOTE 5126422, member: 259"]And do get in touch with Google about your account, It should be dead easy to fix your payment details etc if you need to buy something by just getting a password reset from them.[/QUOTE]
The password works for everything but the playstore app on my phone. Google support are currently sending me around the houses.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

[QUOTE 5126449, member: 259"]What happens if you try to login to Google on a web page on the computer (any app, like Google Maps or GMail).

You should see an incon with your account and an option to login at the top right hand corner

Once you've logged in you should see a "payments" window and you can add Paypal, credit card etc in there so you can use the store for paid apps.

If you can't get into your account, they should be able to reset things.[/QUOTE]
The password works for everything except when buying something with the play store app. I'm logged into my google account on my phone (mail and play store), logged into blogger and Gmail on my PC... it's only when i try to buy an app from the play store that it claims my password is wrong, yet the same password gets me into 'my' play store where i can see the apps i've installed and those that need updating. I've been through the reset password milarky on the off chance that I wasn't using my usual password... i wasn't. The password i'm using is correct.

An app called Airdroid (free) will allow you to backup the .apk file of your app (the .apk is the installer for want of a better word) to a PC and then reinstall it on your reset/new phone.

I used it for my niece's flappy bird app when it was withdrawn from the Play Store

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

[QUOTE 5126468, member: 259"]So it's the Play Store app that's buggered. You might have to go totally nuclear then. :sad:

Just a last thought. Are you able to go to the play store for apps on your PC and purchase from there?[/QUOTE]
Aye, I'm pretty sure it is the app but I'm not even sure if resetting the phone will sort it since i think it's a factory fitted app, unless after resetting, the phone downloads all its default apps??? (I don't know much about smart phones)

@Markymark I would get a proper iPhone, but there's no coverage north of Watford (and contrary to popular (southern) belief, there are habitable* places north of Watford.

*I use the term lightly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Preinstalled apps can often be found in /system/app with a file manager... and a factory reset often doesn't shift them and it needs a reflash to remove them. I think it wipes the settings but ICBW.

i can log in on all devices, it's only when i try to buy an app on my phone that it won't accept my password.
Can you log into your Google account - the same Google account as the phone - in a browser on a PC?

Does your phone show you connected to that account when you look for "accounts" in settings?

Does it show you logged into a different account?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Weird because you say it asks you for a password to install an app in Play Store.

Does it only ask when the app is not free?
Putting my password in again (after logging in) seems to be part of the payment process (for security reasons, i expect). Free apps, which i've solely used up until now don't ask for the password again because presumably there's no need to.

I think the issue is a result of the phone belonging to my dad before it was mine. In spite of me being logged in with my google account, there's some cookie or caching issues going on, and (I'm guessing) it's possibly expecting my dad's password... and according to my phone, the only way i can completely remove my dad's account from the phone is by going down the factory reset route.

In other news, the support guys at Google have stopped passing me round the houses and are now suggesting that i clear the cache, uninstall the updates and various other things... done it all already but there's no harm in doing it all again.

Top Bottom