Backing up Android Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Putting my password in again (after logging in) seems to be part of the payment process (for security reasons, i expect). Free apps, which i've solely used up until now don't ask for the password again be 08cause presumably there's no need to.

I think the issue is a result of the phone belonging to my dad before it was mine. In spite of me being logged in with my google account, there's some cookie or caching issues going on, and (I'm guessing) it's possibly expecting my dad's password... and according to my phone, the only way i can completely remove my dad's account from the phone is by going down the factory reset route.

In other news, the support guys at Google have stopped passing me round the houses and are now suggesting that i clear the cache, uninstall the updates and various other things... done it all already but there's no harm in doing it all again.
I am not sure your diagnosis is correct but didn't rule it out, especially if you didn't reset on handover.

Anyway, delete your Google account in settings, restart the phone and re-add your Google account and see if that helps.

If not, you're right to think along the lines of factory reset.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
well i'm finally getting somewhere after uninstalling the playstore app updates, removing and re-adding my GG account and being told the the playstore app is out of date and cannot support this purchase (makes a change from your password is wrong)... so i update the app, only for it to fail because there's not enough memory on the phone, i delete everything i can and eventually get the update... but even if i can finally purchase the app I'm after, it's bigger than the 1.3mb space left on my phone (unless of course my phone is actually 'smart' and realises that there's a good GB free on the SD card).

fingers crossed.

[edit] ...the playstore app on this phone is still outdated and cannot support this purchase. Grrrr!

another edit... at least that means the google play services app can be deleted, giving me 65MB back ...still waiting for Google to tell if/how i can update my playstore app. I think i prefered it when it wouldn't accept my password... not even getting that far now :sad:

and another one... now it's getting odd.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
well i'm finally getting somewhere after uninstalling the playstore app updates, removing and re-adding my GG account and being told the the playstore app is out of date and cannot support this purchase (makes a change from your password is wrong)... so i update the app, only for it to fail because there's not enough memory on the phone, i delete everything i can and eventually get the update... but even if i can finally purchase the app I'm after, it's bigger than the 1.3mb space left on my phone (unless of course my phone is actually 'smart' and realises that there's a good GB free on the SD card).

fingers crossed.

[edit] ...the playstore app on this phone is still outdated and cannot support this purchase. Grrrr!

another edit... at least that means the google play services app can be deleted, giving me 65MB back ...still waiting for Google to tell if/how i can update my playstore app. I think i prefered it when it wouldn't accept my password... not even getting that far now :sad:

and another one... now it's getting odd.

I think @Markymark is right, get an iPhone ;)

Mrs @BoldonLad insists on using an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), it drives my mad every time she asks me to "fix" it, there is absolutely no consistency.

But, back on topic, my guess when reading through the thread, was, there is (in settings perhaps) a setting which (say) gives a default PlayStore Account, for purchases, and, that default is set to your Dad's account.

If it is possible to get it, could you get the password your dad used for buying apps, and, when it asks for password, during the 'BUY' process, input that password?

Just a thought.

Good luck.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Mrs @BoldonLad insists on using an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), it drives my mad every time she asks me to "fix" it, there is absolutely no consistency.

But, back on topic, my guess when reading through the thread, was, there is (in settings perhaps) a setting which (say) gives a default PlayStore Account, for purchases, and, that default is set to your Dad's account.

If it is possible to get it, could you get the password your dad used for buying apps, and, when it asks for password, during the 'BUY' process, input that password?

Just a thought.

Good luck.
i tried to get my dad to put his password in when he gave me the phone, so i could remove his accounts from it (he has several, forgets the password, creates another, and...)

The phone does have a habit of defaulting to dad's old account, but switching to mine is straightforward enough. There isn't an option i've found to set a default. By the looks of it, the first account is the default and the only way to remove that is factory reset.

I would get an iphone, but having experienced iTunes, i reckon i'll be pulling my hair out just as much... plus, iphones don't work north of watford.

What about this which says you can turn off/on google play needing a password to buy apps?

As you suggest, it mentions the password being the one used when setting up the phone rather than the google account pw.

The phone does have a habit of defaulting to dad's old account, but switching to mine is straightforward enough. There isn't an option i've found to set a default. By the looks of it, the first account is the default and the only way to remove that is factory reset.

That certainly used to be the case - it's why I got all my ex's (when he was my current) meeting alerts and emails for months - he was too impatient to wait for me to set up a google account when he bought me a HTC android phone and wanted to play with it so set it up with his account which then became the 'system' account and I couldn't be arsed to do a factory reset for ages. Several years ago, so I don't know if it has changed.

If you're short of space you can possible 'disable' and unistall updates from some of the masses of samsung pre-installed bloatware - I did this to extend the life of a previous samsung, Also, if you haven't already done this, in settings -> storage there's usually an entry for cache and you can clear this to liberate some space.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah because the Galaxy Ace's contemporary iphone 4s still supports everything and hasn't been downgraded by its suppliers at all :rofl:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Right... enough of the iPhone nonsense please. If you want to talk about iPhones, start a new thread. :rolleyes:

Not sure why, but in spite of logging into google play store on my phone, downloading a few freebie apps with my account, when i log into the playstore on my PC, there's an alert stating 'no devices are associated with this account' and suggests i log in to playstore with my phone. I've gone through the remove account, turn off phone, turn on, add account numerous times but continue to get the no devices alert on my PC.

Apart from the one old app that i'd rather not lose... what will i lose if i go down the factory reset route? Or, what will i have to do after doing a factory reset to get my phone back to its current settings?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Right... enough of the iPhone nonsense please. If you want to talk about iPhones, start a new thread. :rolleyes:

Not sure why, but in spite of logging into google play store on my phone, downloading a few freebie apps with my account, when i log into the playstore on my PC, there's an alert stating 'no devices are associated with this account' and suggests i log in to playstore with my phone. I've gone through the remove account, turn off phone, turn on, add account numerous times but continue to get the no devices alert on my PC.

Apart from the one old app that i'd rather not lose... what will i lose if i go down the factory reset route? Or, what will i have to do after doing a factory reset to get my phone back to its current settings?

Well, to me, this definitely suggests your phone is registered to the original Google Account (ie your dad's). This registration must be recorded somewhere. If you cannot find anything on the Phone, to indicate this registration, how about logging in to your Dad's Google Account, on a PC, and look for some option to de-register the phone from that account?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Well, to me, this definitely suggests your phone is registered to the original Google Account (ie your dad's). This registration must be recorded somewhere. If you cannot find anything on the Phone, to indicate this registration, how about logging in to your Dad's Google Account, on a PC, and look for some option to de-register the phone from that account?
can't... it's 'one' of dad's google accounts.. he creates one, forgets the login details and creates another, and another, and another. This one has a 3 in it, which suggests it wasn't the first account he created and forgot the password to :blush:

Top Bottom