Bad drivers - a mini rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm hoping you weren't cycling on the motorway ;)

I was nearly hit myself today as a woman in a BMW (just an observation, not putting women or all BMW drivers in a group) thought it not important to give way to the right at a roundabout (or even look to the right).. But I'm by no means perfect (though plenty of others would argue I'm pretty close) myself.. I did shout something, I'm sure it was very polite..

stuarttunstall

Not yet lol bike not arrived yet :smile:

Funny enough I had a women in a BMW almost run into my car twice texting and looking down... On a dual carriageway drifted towards me looking down, I blasted my horn.. she looked up and carried on, then cut in front of me to turn off just in time, still texting looking down so blasted her again and used a few well chosen words... looked at me as if to say "what am I doing wrong"....

The one eating his dinner I was following him at 70 and he was drifting to the hard shoulder... then lane 2, I thought T*** on a mobile... how wrong was I... he was eating his dinner lol

Drago

Legendary Member
Car drivers are usually very courteous towards me for some reason.

gun.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
WHY all the SUDDEN use OF capital LETTERS? We can all read, thank you. I'm sure it's done with intent to emphasise certain points, but to those like me with dyslexia it makes things harder to read and understand, so THUS has the OPPOSITE effect TO that INTENDED.

Ajax Bay

Guru
We can all read, thank you. I'm sure it's done with intent to emphasise certain points, but to those like me with dyslexia it makes things harder to read and understand, so THUS has the OPPOSITE effect TO that INTENDED.
Grumpy @Drago ^_^ Finish your breakfast and get out for a ride in the sunshine.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll just leave this here: http://wcc.crankfoot.xyz/facility-of-the-month/May2018.htm
I love Facility of the Month.
Nigel - thank you for sharing. I'm sure some who are into this stuff have seen this for years, but for those who haven't, I second your appreciation of and recommendation to dip into 'Facility of the Month'
Also a simple piece on
The Effect of Cycle Lanes on Cyclists' Road Space
A report showing how a cycle lanes reduce the amount of road-space available to cyclists

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
I get frustrated by drivers who criticize cyclists who don't use cycle lanes, but I do think it's mostly due to genuine lack of understanding rather than anything malicious. If you don't read any of the cycling press or discussions on cycling forums (and don't cycle yourself), I reckon you could be forgiven for assuming that cycle lanes are well planned and are safe and good to use.

As an example, I have a friend who is an ex driving instructor and has been driving for a living for most of his life - I'd say he's the safest and most clued-up driver I know. But he's asked me, with genuine puzzlement, why so many cyclists don't use the cycle lanes that have been put there for their safety and convenience.

I've explained the reasons I know of, and he's since looked more closely at cycle lane implementation - and he's come to agree how bad and unsafe a lot of them are, and understands why so many don't use them.

Education is the answer, not confrontation - but how to educate those who design and build cycling infrastructure is a task that is beyond me.

Lonestar

Veteran
Fair enough. Just don’t think coming onto a cycling site and telling those who don’t use cycle paths that they are asking for trouble is the best way of coming across

Definitely...Wasn't sure whether this was a WUM...but with the trouble I've had at work recently (and in the past) due to the same sort of thing and the poor reputation cyclists seem to have this was never going to go down well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom