Bad start for the Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I took part in the Wiggle Spring Saddle sportive last Sunday and got the Bianchi all dirty :ohmy:

Whilst giving it some TLC later that afternoon I found a crack in the frame :cry: Suffice to say it's now back at my local dealer ready to be stripped down so the frame can be sent back to Italy for inspection - I've been told I won't get it back for a good few weeks so the Roubaix is numero uno again for the time being :laugh:

I've made the decision to pay my local dealer to process the warranty claim and strip and rebuild the bike rather than go through the extra hassle of getting it back to Epic Cycles the other side of the country... I rather blame myself for not buying local in the first place, I won't be making that mistake again :rolleyes:

The crack itself is emanating from the rear brake caliper boss. On inspection they weren't sure if it was a crack in the carbon itself or just in the paint but I made the point that either way it needs investigating and isn't acceptable on a bike that has covered less than 80 miles :thumbsdown:

Hopefully it will be the trouble free experience they've promised :ohmy::laugh:

Attachments

• 20180325_193038.jpg
    20180325_193038.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 108

Elysian_Roads

I took part in the Wiggle Spring Saddle sportive last Sunday and got the Bianchi all dirty :ohmy:

Whilst giving it some TLC later that afternoon I found a crack in the frame :cry: Suffice to say it's now back at my local dealer ready to be stripped down so the frame can be sent back to Italy for inspection - I've been told I won't get it back for a good few weeks so the Roubaix is numero uno again for the time being :laugh:

I've made the decision to pay my local dealer to process the warranty claim and strip and rebuild the bike rather than go through the extra hassle of getting it back to Epic Cycles the other side of the country... I rather blame myself for not buying local in the first place, I won't be making that mistake again :rolleyes:

The crack itself is emanating from the rear brake caliper boss. On inspection they weren't sure if it was a crack in the carbon itself or just in the paint but I made the point that either way it needs investigating and isn't acceptable on a bike that has covered less than 80 miles :thumbsdown:

Hopefully it will be the trouble free experience they've promised :ohmy::laugh:

Not what you want @JhnBssll, especially after alllllllll that anticipation. Hopefully it will be sorted soon and to your complete satisfaction.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Structural failures seem to be an all too common issue with CF bikes. Even assuming the warranty is sorted out in a customer-friendly manner it's still hassle you don't need, and you will probably always have a nagging doubt that another failure could happen to that bike in the future, when out of warranty.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Blast, what a gutting experience that is ..
You sat buy locally, where would you get this from locally ?
I've only visited Norwich for bikes, usual suspects and not really seen too many Bianchi, other than few in Evans ..
Pedal Revolution had a nice Trek , I'm researching still my next project and was looking at Oltre as a possible along with a few others ..
I'm looking at going to Sigma next check some out ..

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Blast, what a gutting experience that is ..
You sat buy locally, where would you get this from locally ?
I've only visited Norwich for bikes, usual suspects and not really seen too many Bianchi, other than few in Evans ..
Pedal Revolution had a nice Trek , I'm researching still my next project and was looking at Oltre as a possible along with a few others ..
I'm looking at going to Sigma next check some out ..

It's with Elmy Cycles in Ipswich, they're not the biggest but they've got a good range of Bianchi's in store and the service seems very good from my limited experience so far.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Nice one , thanks .. :bicycle:

bianchi1

Guru
Structural failures seem to be an all too common issue with CF bikes. Even assuming the warranty is sorted out in a customer-friendly manner it's still hassle you don't need, and you will probably always have a nagging doubt that another failure could happen to that bike in the future, when out of warranty.

My aluminium Bianchi snapped just above the rear hanger a few years back. Not an issue as was within the 3 year warranty and the shop that I got it from said they had seen loads do the same. Bianchi sent me a brand new frame within 2 weeks. The new frame was designed differently around the break point and made much stronger. Coincidence?

kipster

Guru
For peace of mind Bianchi warranty claims are usually very quickly dealt with. I had a four and a half year old frame which developed a crack near where a cable housing. A couple of photos sent and within a week an new frame (of a different model which was an upgrade) was on its way. All in all I think it took three weeks from starting the claim to having the bike back with me. This was all done through epic cycles but I know Elmy cycles have a great reputation within the Bianchi Owners Club UK.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear your news, and fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. Kipsters experience gives you hope.

I'm curious why they're sending the frame to Italy - they're manufactured in Taiwan, so you expect those that really know about such things would be there.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
To me that looks like a paint crack.

I suspect you're right, unfortunately the only way to confirm that is to strip the paint back and check the carbon underneath so I am told it's likely to be a new frame either way. The frame should have made it to Italy by now so I'm hoping to find out one way or another later next week :rolleyes:

Top Bottom