Bad start for the Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Back from holiday today and realised we're 18 days in and still no word from Bianchi, other than to tell me mine is the only Aria Disc they've ever had back on warranty...I'm taking that as a positive as it means I've just been very unlucky and haven't bought a "bad" bike :laugh:

Within reason I'm not overly fussed how long it takes, I'd just like confirmation from them about what they intend to do about it. I'm told I'll find out this week, but I was told last week I'd know before I went away... Grmbl :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
I had a BB shell crack badly on a first generation Via Nirone. Bianchi did replace the frame, I can' remember how long it took but it wasn' either fast or particually slow either.
Funnily enough my LBS told me...oooh, that's the first one I've seen do that.

I suspect there's a bit of self protection of image etc going on.

Is there a plan to rebuild JhnBssll ? My LBS at that time wanted a couple hours to rebuild it, chargeble of course which kinda surprised me, but then as they said, the frame (or parts if you prefer) was warranteed, not the labour.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
He is using his own LBS and paying for strip an rebuild. Personally I would not be so generous and would be getting my money back as 'not fit for purpose' as a fault that occurred withing the first 6 months.

gbb

Legendary Member
He is using his own LBS and paying for strip an rebuild. Personally I would not be so generous and would be getting my money back as 'not fit for purpose' as a fault that occurred withing the first 6 months.
The way my LBS explained it was Bianchi are replacing the frame, all they were obliged to do.
The LBS is out of that loop and wouldnt get anything from Bianchi for any work they did...so must charge.

Sounded plausible, however unpalatable it is to the customer.

The 'not fit for purpose' i suppose is an angle worth looking into. Not sure how that pans out in reality.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The way my LBS explained it was Bianchi are replacing the frame, all they were obliged to do.
The LBS is out of that loop and wouldnt get anything from Bianchi for any work they did...so must charge.

Sounded plausible, however unpalatable it is to the customer.

The 'not fit for purpose' i suppose is an angle worth looking into. Not sure how that pans out in reality.

I really don't understand why people accept this with bikes. If your expensive phone went wrong well inside the warranty period would you accept that they just replaced the screen and left you to pay for the labour charge? Of course you would not.

bpsmith

Veteran
I really don't understand why people accept this with bikes. If your expensive phone went wrong well inside the warranty period would you accept that they just replaced the screen and left you to pay for the labour charge? Of course you would not.
It’s a tough one I guess. If you went direct to the company who makes the shell, then they would no doubt replace the shell under warranty, but would they strip and rebuild?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The bike came from Epic Cycles - If they were doing the work I wouldn't be paying for it. Since I've chosen to have it done elsewhere it is fair and reasonable for me to pay for it :okay: Unfortunately in this instance because I didn't buy locally (again my choice) the "free" options all end up costing me nearly as much as paying the LBS so I've chosen to put the money in their pockets instead :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It’s a tough one I guess. If you went direct to the company who makes the shell, then they would no doubt replace the shell under warranty, but would they strip and rebuild?

Why would you go to the company that built the shell - your contract is not with them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The bike came from Epic Cycles - If they were doing the work I wouldn't be paying for it. Since I've chosen to have it done elsewhere it is fair and reasonable for me to pay for it :okay: Unfortunately in this instance because I didn't buy locally (again my choice) the "free" options all end up costing me nearly as much as paying the LBS so I've chosen to put the money in their pockets instead :laugh:

I would have left it in the hands of Epic Cycles and given the option of paying for the return or the local LBS bill. All this is a bit late now, but have you asked Epic or even Bianchi to contribute at least?

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...se-paying-the-cost-of-returning-a-faulty-item

bpsmith

Veteran
Correct - that would have been my first port of call. From Bianchi, it would be about goodwill and brand protection.
That’s where I was coming from.

Doesn’t take away from the disappointing potential crack in the frame, if it is actually in the frame and not just paint.

The OP is right to get it checked out, regardless of the result. Better that than suffer the consequences out on the road or, on a lighter note, have to look at the cracked paint.

It’s their choice where they want to get it sorted out from, so I assume that they are prepared to pay the labour cost. Can’t really blame the choice of LBS used or Bianchi themselves for that choice.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
:laugh: I honestly Don't feel like I'm being hard done by. Could I have had the work done for free? Yes, therefore all parties have satisfied their legal obligation to me. Is the customer happy with what's going on? Yes, therefore from a brand protection point of view they're good too. Would someone other than me have approached it differently? Quite probably, but my goal is getting my bike back with minimal time spent chasing or cross country journeys - If that costs me a few quid then so be it :okay::okay: I guess I value my time and peace of mind more than my bank balance :laugh:

Top Bottom