Bad start for the Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I really don't understand why people accept this with bikes. If your expensive phone went wrong well inside the warranty period would you accept that they just replaced the screen and left you to pay for the labour charge? Of course you would not.
Bear in mind there are differing warrantees on the bike. My frame was covered for X years by the manufacturer, i seem to remember it went just a few months before that expired...but long long after a normal manufacturers / suppliers warranty of 1 year expired.

It'd be interesting to hear exactly if any shops do cover the rebuild cost after the normal warranty has expired. Has that happened to anyone ?

kipster

Guru
Epic rebuilt my Bianchi at 4.5 years old after I got a new frame on warranty. I felt bad so purchased some bits from them.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just had confirmation through that Bianchi are replacing the frame :okay: No real suprise there but nice to have confirmation. Apparently it could be up to 10 days for the new one to arrive before they can rebuild the bike but should have it back around the end of the month all being well :becool:

I'm tempted to ask if I can upgrade to an Oltre XR3 disc frame :blush::laugh: I wonder if they'd do that...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bianchi would be willing to upgrade but can't get an oltre XR3 disc frame until September due to current demand. I'm now waiting to hear back from Epic to see if they have one on order that can be swapped for the replacement aria frameset but not looking promising at the moment.

I've got my fingers crossed, I'm due an update tomorrow afternoon :smile:

I'd be willing to wait for an XR3 disc frame but not until September :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah, nice enough to warrant a wait but hard to quantify how long is too long :laugh: No new update today, they're waiting for an update from Bianchi to find out exactly what they've got on order and when they are expecting it before they can see where I would fit in to the picture. No great hurry so I've asked them to contact me later in the week when they know more :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
A few things have happened since my last post in this thread. Epic finally came back with a price for me last Friday, 2 weeks later than originally promised but hey-ho. Unfortunately there was a typo in the price - or so I thought. On speaking to them on Tuesday it seems it was actually correct - they were asking £2559.99 to upgrade the frame. I questioned this as the retail price difference is only £850 but they were unable to give me any further information regarding their quote, other than saying it included re-stocking fees. It was very obvious that they didn't want to help and had set a ludicrous price to prevent me going ahead with the change. The staff I dealt with all seemed decent enough but I will never be dealing with Epic Cycles again as a result. A shame, as until they had my money they had been very good. I would suggest anyone looking at dealing with them considers doing so very carefully and explores all other options first.

On a brighter note, Elmy Cycles in Ipswich are coming up trumps - My replacement Aria frameset is back with them but they've told me this afternoon they're going to do everything they can to get me on an Oltre XR3 Disc within my budget :okay: They've been polite and helpful from the outset, they get back to me on time with the info promised and irrespective of what bike I end up taking away with me they're restored my faith in the Bianchi support network.

I'm now waiting for them to do their sums and give me a final upgrade price and delivery date but I've been told it will likely be mid July before they can get an Oltre from Bianchi. Strange how Elmy can get one 2 months before Epic were able to... :rolleyes::laugh:

kipster

Guru
In the interests of balance, Epic cycles where great when I had a warranty claim in with them, the whole process of buying the bike was flawless even though it wasn't me just handing over cash. My employer was buying the bike for me as part of a 25 year service award, so they had to deal with an ordering process etc.. not just a standard credit card. With the warranty claim, I had the replacement (upgraded from Vertigo to Intenso) frame built up and ready to go within three weeks of the starting the claim. I haven't used Elmy cycles but they are well regarded within the BIanchi Owners Club UK, so I'm pleased you're getting it sorted out for you

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
In the interests of balance, Epic cycles where great when I had a warranty claim in with them, the whole process of buying the bike was flawless even though it wasn't me just handing over cash. My employer was buying the bike for me as part of a 25 year service award, so they had to deal with an ordering process etc.. not just a standard credit card. With the warranty claim, I had the replacement (upgraded from Vertigo to Intenso) frame built up and ready to go within three weeks of the starting the claim. I haven't used Elmy cycles but they are well regarded within the BIanchi Owners Club UK, so I'm pleased you're getting it sorted out for you

I'm glad you've balanced the argument - It's clear that Epic are very good at what they do best, which is pre-sales advice, fitting and the eventual bike purchase. It also seems clear that they are very hit and miss with their after-sales care - you have obviously had a very positive experience from them which is great, it's just a shame that this isn't always the case.

It's also worth mentioning that their terms and conditions specifically state that any warranty work doesn't include return postage so if buying online and getting the bike delivered you are responsible for the cost of getting it back to them if there is a problem. I missed that bit of small print, although I doubt it would have prevented me going ahead with the purchase from them given all the positive feedback they receive.

Anyway, I've drawn a line under my dealings with them - as stated before I'll never use them again but fortunately my experience seems to be fairly rare.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Elmy called me this afternoon with final quote and info. They've decided they're not going to swap the components over but to sell the Aria as-is as ex-demo, albeit with brand new wheels, stem, bars and frameset. I will get a brand spanking new out of the box Oltre XR3 disc with my original cosmic pro carbon wheels and deda stem/bars and a brand new warranty to boot. All of this for less than half of Epics quoted price :okay: I'm really pleased with the outcome, and I get to ride around on one of these sometime in July...

bianchi-oltre-xr3-disc5.jpeg

It's a little more black than I would have liked but to be honest I've never been overly worried about the colour of the bike I'm riding :laugh: Super exciting, i get the feeling the next 2 months are going to drag...:blush:

bpsmith

Veteran
I looked at the XR3 when shopping around for a replacement for my damaged Sempre Pro. Stunning bike in fairness and that was the colour scheme that I fancied the most. Great result for you!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah I'm really pleased with the outcome. I popped in to Elmy Cycles this afternoon to sort payment and paperwork, and also give them the last few remnants of the Aria that remained in my garage :laugh: They had already ordered the Oltre for me and Bianchi have revised their predicted delivery date, it should now be with me before the end of June all being well :okay::becool:

Super exciting! I'm now just waiting to hear back from Epic to see if they have found my original bars and stem that I paid for but we're never delivered - Elmy have asked for them to fit to the Aria so they can get it built and put on display :smile: Hopefully they'll still have them somewhere or can find some similar to send me. I hadn't even noticed they weren't delivered with the bike, I was too excited :laugh:

Top Bottom