Bad start for the Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That’s fine. I have no problem with that reasoning whatsoever. It’s just another to add to the list of why people swap components.

I tend to buy lighter kit, which I think has some benefit, but others won’t agree. I also like nice design touches too.

Upon reading my last post again, where I tagged @SkipdiverJohn, it reads like I was having a go. In case it’s misconstrued, my point was just that some people change stuff just because they like something else. They usually know that it’s not essential but are comfortable with that and understand it’s spending money where they perhaps don’t need to.

If they get enjoyment, then they believe it’s worth their cash. Others are wired differently, so don’t get it.
Absolutely.

If a bike were priced at 1k and there were two models left in the shop, one I really like the colour of at full price and one in matt black (My pet hate) discounted to £900, I would happily go for the full priced model because I would be happier owning it.

I hate stuff I consider to be ugly (Which is why their are no mirrors in my house).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I believe a lot of what I would term "vanity upgrades" come about largely because an owner has managed to convince themselves that spending a shedload of cash on something an ounce or two lighter, or a tiny bit more aerodynamic when tested in a wind tunnel, is going to make a significant and noticeable improvement. The reality is such gains are very marginal, and often non-existent in the real world. Of course, no-one who has just paid out £800 for a new wheelset is going to admit that they aren't really that much faster than the ones that came with the bike, are they? Possibly they are a tiny little bit quicker, but I doubt very much they are £800's worth quicker. I suppose it depends where you draw the line on what constitutes worthwhile improvement versus cost. Given I run robust tyres that weigh 700 grams each, I doubt if I'd even notice any difference from a super-light wheel anyway.

Duc gas

Über Member
Oh dear! I think I've had a lucky escape. I made a phone call to epic a few months ago now enquiring about the price of an XR3, which they duly gave me, I asked if they had my frame size available and the guy said I'll have a look and call you back. Fortunately they didn't call me back and my business went elsewhere, and my cycling mate bought one at the same time. Our local dealer is only 11 miles away and I can't believe we were considering a 160 mile round trip to Epic, maybe they need to buck their customer service up - over £8000 lost by not getting back to me....

bpsmith

Veteran
Absolutely.

If a bike were priced at 1k and there were two models left in the shop, one I really like the colour of at full price and one in matt black (My pet hate) discounted to £900, I would happily go for the full priced model because I would be happier owning it.

I hate stuff I consider to be ugly (Which is why their are no mirrors in my house).
You’d hate my new Ridley then. :smile:

What I like is that we’re all different and gives a wider variation on bikes when out on the road.

My other bike is polar opposite to Matte Black though, just to stir things up in my garage.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If a bike were priced at 1k and there were two models left in the shop, one I really like the colour of at full price and one in matt black (My pet hate) discounted to £900, I would happily go for the full priced model because I would be happier owning it. I hate stuff I consider to be ugly.

OK, you wouldn't buy a matt black one for a 10% discount. What if the discount was much larger, say 30% or 40% off list price? Would temptation for value overcome your dislike then?
For the record, I also hate matt black bikes, and anything I consider ugly. For me, that means pretty much anything made of CF or with an Aero frame, even if it's made from ali. If I don't like the silhouette of a bike, it wouldn't matter what the colour scheme was, I still wouldn't buy it, irrespective of discount.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes that looks like a witness crack where the thick brittle paint has cracked at a point of flexion.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think Epic may be getting a bit of an undeserved kicking here. They were not given the chance to rectify the problem in the first place, so it is no wonder that they are not playing ball when the OP has changed his mind and wants a totally different model.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
OK, you wouldn't buy a matt black one for a 10% discount. What if the discount was much larger, say 30% or 40% off list price? Would temptation for value overcome your dislike then?
No.

Bikes are one of the things I have to be happy to like the look of before I would consider buying one. Motorcycles were the same, cars have never really mattered provided the interior was easy to live with.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think Epic may be getting a bit of an undeserved kicking here. They were not given the chance to rectify the problem in the first place, so it is no wonder that they are not playing ball when the OP has changed his mind and wants a totally different model.

To a certain degree yes, and Ive been pretty fair in what i have said about them. But their communication of late has been very very slow, and every time I do finally get through to them they tell me how crazy busy they are. Maybe they should considered hiring more staff if this is the case.

Top Bottom