Bad start for the Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Epic were, well, epic when I bought my Infinito CV thru them.

As many others have said :okay: In fact before the warranty debacle I was one of them :laugh: I don't really understand what happened in this instance but since Elmy have sorted it I don't much care either :laugh: I guess all businesses have off days, to err is human afterall :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I could understand the shoddy service had you bought a £100 cheapo MTB from a "box shifter" sports retailer etc, rather than a proper cycle supplier, but considering the fact this was a high value bike that would have included a considerable profit mark-up for the seller, you'd think they could be arsed to provide some proper customer service in the event of a problem.
I'm pleased you're happy with the eventual outcome, but the whole sorry tale leaves me deeply unimpressed with the standard of customer service from the original supplier.
Whether that is down to company culture or just disinterested, low-calibre staff, it is not a good recipe for successful business. Seems people are happy to take a customer's money, but don't care about supplying the goods as agreed.
Looks like buying new is NOT less hassle than buying used and sorting out stuff yourself is less trouble than trying to actually get a fit-for-purpose new bike that you've paid for!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's this kind of thing that led me to build both the bass and the bike that I wanted, so far as funds would permit.
Neither bass nor bike is top-end. However, they are both exactly what I want.

Pretty much the same with me. By sourcing bargain bucket secondhand bikes, the initial cost is peanuts and I get to choose exactly what tyres, mudguards etc that i have fitted. I don't have to put up with what the manufacturer wants to sell me, and I don't end up paying for stuff that I don't want which then gets immediately swapped out for something else at my expense. For example, it never ceases to amaze me how many people buy brand new bikes at considerable cost, then immediately go and replace the wheels, so they end up paying for two wheelsets, one of which will probably just gather dust.

For example, it never ceases to amaze me how many people buy brand new bikes at considerable cost, then immediately go and replace the wheels, so they end up paying for two wheelsets, one of which will probably just gather dust.

I like your approach skipdiver, but that can make some sense if the bike has a high perecentage of what you need. For any new bike will rarely hit 100 per cent. I got a ridgeback expedition in a sale which even at full price was a big saving on similar bikes. Componentry on a new bike benefits from trade volume prices available to the manufacturer. The wheels that came with it are decent but I will have to swap them out for a major major long expedition. But still a major saving which will more than pay for some spa cycles sputniks. And in the meantime I am making good use of the wheels. I am maintaining the passably decent hubs and will be able to use them on future wheel building experiments.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Buying a frameset rarely comes anywhere near as cost effective as buying a full bike and then replacing certain parts as desired.

My latest purchase has seen me swap the wheels, tyres and finishing kit. The whole bike cost me £200 more than the best price I could get the equivalent frameset. Therefore, an Ultegra groupset, and having it built for me, cost £200.

The parts coming off have a residual value too, either for future use or for selling on.

What’s not to like?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can see the logic in replacing certain bits IF it's cost-effective to do so on a piecemeal basis, such as Blue Hills above plans to do for a specific reason, but what I find bizarre is some people buying a certain bike then replacing half of it before a wheel has even touched tarmac. That says to me the original bike choice was poor as the maker's spec was miles away from what the rider actually wanted.
I do think that a lot of changes are not really essential though. My Raleigh Pioneer came with it's original decent quality Rigida 700c rims, but they had been bashed about during the previous 23 years and were a lot out of true. I've since rectified them to a fair degree, but not to my total satisfaction and they need more tweaking. So, to get the bike back on the road ASAP I fitted a truer set of no-name alloys off a 99p eBay special Apollo hybrid I broke up for spare parts, and fitted brand new Schwalbes to them. I'm riding on some horribly potholed urban roads, bumpy gravel and rooty woods tracks and I'm not a lightweight rider, but the wheels are holding up fine and staying true, despite being cheaper in origin to the Rigidas. I'm not even encountering many other old-school flat bar steel hybrids on the rougher surfaces I ride on (and zero roadies on modern aero/carbon stuff), most other riders are using hardtail or even full-sus MTB's, but a relatively cheap 700c wheelset can still hold up OK if ridden sympathetically.

Yes I was lucky/clever skipdiver. The Ridgeback Expedition is so well designed for purpose (note that it was released as 9 speed when many others had inexplicably gone to 10) that nothing else needs changing. And it's not as if the wheels are "wrong" (they are 36 spoke Alex rimmed), just not uber uber top quality. Only other change I might make is the chainset from octalink to square taper. But only when it has worn out.

As you know I like your approach - my day to day favourite bike cost £30 with bits taken from another bike/spares bin. Some bits bought discounted.

You got a bike for 99p?

the snail

Guru
And it's not as if the wheels are "wrong" (they are 36 spoke Alex rimmed), just not uber uber top quality.
Indeed, I was kinda hoping the cheap hubs on my ridgeback would wear out so I could upgrade, but 20000 miles later they're still good with zero maintenance, and sputniks were a straight swap when the alex rims wore out ( my fault - I think the rims would have lasted too if I'd kept the road grit off the rims/pads:banghead:).

bpsmith

Veteran
Nobody mentioned their changes being “essential” @SkipdiverJohn. You need to get your head around some people swapping stuff for aesthetics or any other random reason.

All of us could ride them as is, but we’re not complaining about changing stuff to suit our wants.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The new Bianchi will have upgraded wheels and brakes from new. The original wheels were restocked and their value discounted from the bike price. The original ultegra disc rotors and calipers I want for another project so I am keeping them to one side for now :okay:

Nobody mentioned their changes being “essential” @SkipdiverJohn. You need to get your head around some people swapping stuff for aesthetics or any other random reason.

All of us could ride them as is, but we’re not complaining about changing stuff to suit our wants.

Any changes I make to a bike are for functional reasons. Hence possible swapping of expedition bike's wheels if i go on a major major trip. They will change the appearance of the bike not one jot.

For me, the reasons for change were pure personal preference. I wanted a true road bike with flat bars and wide gears. No money, and the Scott was basically a freebie to begin with, so not a lot was spent in achieving what I wanted. I will tweak it, but not much.

bpsmith

Veteran
Any changes I make to a bike are for functional reasons. Hence possible swapping of expedition bike's wheels if i go on a major major trip. They will change the appearance of the bike not one jot.
That’s fine. I have no problem with that reasoning whatsoever. It’s just another to add to the list of why people swap components.

I tend to buy lighter kit, which I think has some benefit, but others won’t agree. I also like nice design touches too.

Upon reading my last post again, where I tagged @SkipdiverJohn, it reads like I was having a go. In case it’s misconstrued, my point was just that some people change stuff just because they like something else. They usually know that it’s not essential but are comfortable with that and understand it’s spending money where they perhaps don’t need to.

If they get enjoyment, then they believe it’s worth their cash. Others are wired differently, so don’t get it.

Top Bottom