Balance Bikes Are A "Craze"

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Puddles, 23 Feb 2015.

1. Sara_H

Sara_H Guru

He could fit in my trike boot!

Saluki likes this.
  2. Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys Senior Member

I can highly recommend balance bikes, our first did the whole stabiliser off routine, took her ages to get her confidence, but she got there in the end, killed our backs, months of holding onto her.
    Our second, a boy (whether this has anything to do with it, I'm not sure) had a balance bike at 3. The first day he got his big bike, aged five, he got on and rode, none of this hanging onto the back of him. So impressed, want to do it for our youngest, age 3. Only problem is he is so tall, the balance bike is too small for him. I remember my Uncle taking the pedals off my cousins bike and doing the very same.

Each to their own, who am I to criticise how people do things. There are many different ways to do things, everyone has their own opinion, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone they are doing it wrong. Some people just like to moan I guess.

Puddles likes this.
  3. Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys Senior Member

Personally, I would rather spend the money on a bike that gets kids out and about in the fresh air than a tablet

Puddles and summerdays like this.
  4. macbikes

macbikes Well-Known Member

I've seen people complain that balance bikes are dangerous and that there is no way children younger than 3 can control them properly. What nonsense!

Puddles likes this.
  5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Or even 2 year olds..

Puddles likes this.
  6. andyfraser

andyfraser Über Member

We didn't have balance bikes when I was young. My first bike was a small fixie. I've gone full circle!

ianrauk likes this.
  7. jdtate101

jdtate101 Ex-Fatman

MickL, BrumJim, Puddles and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rob H

Rob H Eat, Sleep, Climb, Repeat

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  9. atbman

atbman Veteran

And you've even taught her to take the lane!

10. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

him...:okay:

MisterStan and Sara_H like this.
  11. My daughter has a balance bike at the age of 3 and it's done her a world of wonders! I'm pro balance bikes!

Not to mention the attention she gets down the pub on it.

ianrauk likes this.
  12. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

You did, but probably never knew about it. Take chainset and chain off, lower seat - instant(ish) balance bike. It's what I learnt on almost 50 years ago. My old man told me that I was balancing on it in a couple of days so he put the chainset and chain back on and I've never stopped since.

13. Hicky

Hicky Über Member

If that is wrote by a friend.....delete them^_^

Puddles likes this.
  14. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

Assumptions.

We just had little bikes, we learned to pedal and steer concurrently, I don't know why there would be a need to learn any other way... some kids learn balance etc and/or are inherently more athletic than others, and some (dare I confine it to?) dad's are more pushy about their children's talent/reputation than others, so there is no controlled way of proving that balance bikes make for a quicker or earlier learning experience.

Emperor's New Clothes, in my humble opinion.

15. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Having tried both methods with more than one child I would definitely favour the balance bike. Admittedly I've never tried a balance bike then stabilisers because they've learnt using the balance bike so didn't need the stabilisers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice