Balance Bikes Are A "Craze"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
We didn't have balance bikes when I was young. My first bike was a small fixie. I've gone full circle!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
We didn't have balance bikes when I was young. My first bike was a small fixie. I've gone full circle!
You did, but probably never knew about it. Take chainset and chain off, lower seat - instant(ish) balance bike. It's what I learnt on almost 50 years ago. My old man told me that I was balancing on it in a couple of days so he put the chainset and chain back on and I've never stopped since.

Hicky

Guru
If that is wrote by a friend.....delete them^_^

Cyclist33

You did, but probably never knew about it. Take chainset and chain off, lower seat - instant(ish) balance bike. It's what I learnt on almost 50 years ago. My old man told me that I was balancing on it in a couple of days so he put the chainset and chain back on and I've never stopped since.

Assumptions.

We just had little bikes, we learned to pedal and steer concurrently, I don't know why there would be a need to learn any other way... some kids learn balance etc and/or are inherently more athletic than others, and some (dare I confine it to?) dad's are more pushy about their children's talent/reputation than others, so there is no controlled way of proving that balance bikes make for a quicker or earlier learning experience.

Emperor's New Clothes, in my humble opinion.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having tried both methods with more than one child I would definitely favour the balance bike. Admittedly I've never tried a balance bike then stabilisers because they've learnt using the balance bike so didn't need the stabilisers.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Stabilizers also teach bad habits if left on for too long. I've seen kids who don't attempt to move their upper bodies to keep their balance becasue they have got into the habit of letting the stabilizers "catch" the bike as it tilts

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Stabilizers also teach bad habits if left on for too long. I've seen kids who don't attempt to move their upper bodies to keep their balance becasue they have got into the habit of letting the stabilizers "catch" the bike as it tilts

There's a kid we see in our local park every now and then. Think he must be 6 or 7 years old. Uses quite a big bike with stabilisers. You could see that he had grown into relying on them and had become lazy using a stabiliser rather then trying to at least balance. I spoke to his dad about it. He said that he refuses to ride the bike without them.

400bhp

Guru
There's a kid we see in our local park every now and then. Think he must be 6 or 7 years old. Uses quite a big bike with stabilisers. You could see that he had grown into relying on them and had become lazy using a stabiliser rather then trying to at least balance. I spoke to his dad about it. He said that he refuses to ride the bike without them.

Like a kid refusing to eat vegetables, or somesuch. Excuse really.

Jimidh

Veteran
Don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. Kids are different and learn in their own ways and in their own time.

Both my kids learned the old way - my boy was 3 when his stabilisers came off my daughter was almost 6.

Both love their bikes and getting out on the trails and give me another excuse for spending more time on my bikes.

Top Bottom