1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balance Bikes Are A "Craze"

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Puddles, 23 Feb 2015.

1. MisterStan

MisterStan Label Required

2. CyclePower

CyclePower Member

Devon and London
    My son used a balance bike and it was a fantastic experience. When he got his proper bike with pedals he learned to ride the bike within 10 minutes and no crash. He started to ride his first balance bike at the age of 3. A year later I bought him a bigger balance bike. Another year later he got the proper bike with pedals. I never needed to run after him or to hold him while hi was trying to ride or to sooth him after crashing. I wish I would have had learned to ride a bike on a balance bike.
    summerdays likes this.
  3. Andy in Germany

Andy in Germany Senior Member

Stuttgart, Germany
    They're normal in Germany and have been foe a very long time. Our first son didn't have one and took ages to get off his staibilisers and gain confidence. The other two used the same 'balance bike' and were riding confidently much earlier. In fact the youngest was taught by his brother, thus helping both learn and grow...

Stabilisers are almost unheard of here, by the way.
  4. JaseO

JaseO Active Member

Both my kids have had balance bikes. My daughter got on better with stabilizers on a pedal bike, but my son loves the balance bike. The challenge now is getting him to pedal!
  5. Karlt

Karlt Well-Known Member

It's the old "childhood was perfect when I was a child so anything different to then must be bad" mentality. Does your friend take the Daily Mail by any chance?

Child 1 learnt the stabilisers way and it took a long while. Child 2 started that way but couldn't make the transition to no stabilisers. After months of no progress we bought a balance bike for him and he was riding without stabilisers in two months. Child 3 then inherited the balance bike which she called her "scooty bike" and loved it; was riding a proper bike herself within two or three months.

Balance bike wins. It makes sense; the stabilisers give no encouragement to balance. A well co-ordinated child might handle the transformation well; a less co-ordinated one won't. I know I was eight or nine before I could set off on my own. By comparison Child 3 was riding at 4 and sorted out setting off by the time she was 5.
  6. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

My lad has had a balance bike for over two years now. Today he learnt to ride a pedal bike aged 4.5. In 20 minutes he was getting the hang of it, and I could let go. By 40 minutes he had it all-but sussed.

Instructor said that he was one of the fastest learners that he has taught. No stabilizers, a lot of time on the balance bike, and a boy desperate to learn. Earned himself an ice-cream.
    Scoosh, Mister Paul and ianrauk like this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming

Exactly how Ian Jnr took to pedal biking. Balance bikes just work.