bargain garmin edge 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
ok,noob here but what does this offer me over say my iphone with endomondo running?
I also have a basic computer for speed etc on my handle bars

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No 1 you have much longer battery life. It's also less faff than the phone apps. One gadget does all the recording, plus some or full routing depending on the model.

I have a 705 as well but don't use on the commute mainly because of the cost. Using the phone app is a pain in the ass, slower to get a good lock, then you've got to put the thing away in pocket or panniers.

Oh and the Garmins are waterproof

If you can get the 200 for 63 to 75 quid at the moment its brilliant.

I've just uploaded my receipt and photo of my old computer to Garmin for the refund.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

fossyant

Couple of quick points/review vs the 705.

Boot Up - 200 is very fast, as is GPS lock. 705 takes a while to boot.
GPS - seems just as good as 705, OK doesn't have the speed/cadence sensors
Auto Pause - works fine, does 'pause' before the 705, but that's probably down to the 705 getting inputs from the speed/cadence sensor telling it it is still moving. The 200 shuts down as speed drops below a set speed.
Autoshut off - nice feature - shuts down to save battery. Seems to charge quickly too.
Makes exactly the same noises as the 705.
Route/Course - I think it can follow a crumb trail - someone will have to confirm as not sued it yet, but options look like it can.

Down side - lost cadence reading - my cateye had this. Plus side, no sensors on the bike. 705 has the cadence.

It's a cracking computer for £130, but at the discount it's a no brainer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Couple of quick points/review vs the 705.

Boot Up - 200 is very fast, as is GPS lock. 705 takes a while to boot.
GPS - seems just as good as 705, OK doesn't have the speed/cadence sensors
Auto Pause - works fine, does 'pause' before the 705, but that's probably down to the 705 getting inputs from the speed/cadence sensor telling it it is still moving. The 200 shuts down as speed drops below a set speed.
Autoshut off - nice feature - shuts down to save battery. Seems to charge quickly too.
Makes exactly the same noises as the 705.
Route/Course - I think it can follow a crumb trail - someone will have to confirm as not sued it yet, but options look like it can.

Down side - lost cadence reading - my cateye had this. Plus side, no sensors on the bike. 705 has the cadence.

It's a cracking computer for £130, but at the discount it's a no brainer.

Yup, bread crumb trail.
I use this feature on my 205 and my 500.

fossyant

1 big tip.

Firmware. Never upgrade to the latest firmware as it comes out. Leave it a few weeks and check the Garmin forums. That way you will know what bugs are in it. Garmin really buggered up one release for the 705 which meant that it lost signal very easy and 'auto paused' even if you were doing 20 mph with the cadence and speed sensors enables. They fixed it fairly quickly, but it was damn annoying.

Oh and always worth a quick scan of the forums to find any tips and 'work arounds'.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
What do you mean by crumb trail? Does it let you put in basic instructions and tell you when and where to turn etc?

I've never really seen a GPS before as I'm rarely in a car so have no idea what the do and don't do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What do you mean by crumb trail? Does it let you put in basic instructions and tell you when and where to turn etc?

I've never really seen a GPS before as I'm rarely in a car so have no idea what the do and don't do.

No. It's just a grey line that you follow on the screen. They are called courses.
You follow the line, there is no turn by turn instructions...though it does tell you when you are off course.
I use it all the time and find it to be very reliable.

BUT. you can set up the bread crump trail to give you turn by turn. These are called routes. But is it a faff as you have to enter every turn one at a time and the machines usually only have enough memory for 50 instructions.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Just reserved mine online and went down to see them at the local store to get them to hold onto it for a few days. I have a credit card that I get points on and I just used some of the points to order £105 worth of halfords gift vouchers so by the time I get my cash back I will have got paid £30 to own a Garmin 200 :thumbsup:..................... Result !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redcard

Veteran
Used mine this morning, was about 200 yards before it picked up a GPS signal - my Android, and previously my iPhone, picked it up straight away. No problem on the commute home.

Good thing about having the Garmin on the bars is that I can miss out the first mile of my commute home, which is a crawl through the city centre and 10 sets of traffic lights, and can take 10 minutes.
I've gained about 3mph overnight! :bicycle:

Instant uploads to Strava / Endmondo are a nice bonus

defy-one

Good question re:gpx files.
I think yes,but havn't tried it as yet.

To the OP , mine locks on in 20 seconds. I step out the door,switch it on and it's ready before my gloves are on

logrus

ah, finally found out from a random blog.
Connect Garmin 200 to PCgo to the Garmin
copy the gpx to Garmin\NewFiles
Job done :smile:
Now just have to work out how to use it :smile:

Top Bottom