'Be seen' rechargeable front light with decent runtime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having been let down by not one but two dead Lezyne lights while cycling home last night - although they were charged when they went in the bag a week ago, one lasted about 10 minutes, the other wouldn't produce any light, I'm probably in the market for a new front light.

Needs to be USB chargeable (although a back up with batteries might be good if such a thing exists), and have a decent run time probably in a flashing mode. The roads I ride aren't that dark, well darkish without lights as I found out between streetlamps, so it's a be seen light really.

The fixing needs to go on the handlebars, as I have crosslevers and narrow bars haowever, there is limited space, the lezyne rubber mountings just about fit! I like the small aesthetics of the Lezyne (old style micro drives)

What would anyone suggest for up to say £50, Moon LX 560 looks ok for £40 on Rutland but it looks quite chunky?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Have you considered running something like a pair Cateye Rapid X type lights on the forks?

Just over your budget though for the pair...

Available here

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd buy a German-spec K-marked steady light with a battery charge indicator, often on its power button. Rose Bikes probably sell loads, or if you could wait, Lidl may do another special soon which will probably be around £10 and avoid paying the relatively high postage.

Some USB-charged lights can run directly from a USB power pack if you strap one to the bike, too.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd buy a German-spec K-marked steady light with a battery charge indicator, often on its power button. Rose Bikes probably sell loads, or if you could wait, Lidl may do another special soon which will probably be around £10 and avoid paying the relatively high postage.

Some USB-charged lights can run directly from a USB power pack if you strap one to the bike, too.
I've no idea what type of light you mean. The lights in Lidl are always rather ugly and massive!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a set of Electron Pod lights - you can buy just the front one on it's own from Highland Bikes for under a tenner - RRP for a set is £40 so thats good value.

Definitely a "be seen" light, nice and small so should easily fit in your bars and a charge last for ages - I've done 7 / 8 hour rides and it's still been flashing away.

Last edited:
The Moon clones that Planet X sell are very bright, rechargeable via USB, run time, I forget exactly but 2- 4 hrs. Jobsworth Canopus and Dogstar they're called. Stretchy band fitting which should fit in the space you have.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Lezyne USB lights have been brilliant on my bikes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've no idea what type of light you mean. The lights in Lidl are always rather ugly and massive!
Something like https://www.rosebikes.com/article/sigma-roadster-usb-front-light/aid:879985 - yeah, it's a bit bigger than a blinky, but it has a charge indicator, can be used to see where you're going at a push (if riding unlit areas is a regular thing, I'd go brighter, at least 30 lux and probably more) and that sort of thing tends to work for a few years in my experience (which actually makes it difficult to recommend a current model because my front lights are 2, 4 and 20 years old and still working!)

Or you can keep blowing £40-50 quid a pop on the worse lights that are popular in this country for reasons I don't really grok.

GJT

Über Member
I love my Exposure Flash, although that runs off rechargeable batteries.
I would imagine the Trace would be as good and that is USB charging.
I like the fact that the light pulses rather than off/on flashing.

Top Bottom