'Be seen' rechargeable front light with decent runtime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The front ones should be OK, the rear seem to sell faster (both last year and in my local Aldi tonight).
I think I'm going to get the Exposure trace for £35 or thereabouts

Reactions: GJT

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have the trace it’s fantastic for grabbing attention but nae good to see with ! I use it in the early spring and summer mornings as a main light but switch too the higher output Moon 780 . Exposure make nice stuff, pays your money etc etc .

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just got the trace, I really don't ride anywhere very dark, almost always street lights

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I like the flash mode on it , really grabs the attention of other road users without the sick inducing strobe on these cheap chinese lights !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Damm ,missed out on that. My current Moon Xp780 has developed an auto switch off mode when I go over bumps :tongue: So on the look out for a cheap front to see with light, that will see me till Christmas. Hopefully Santa can then bring me something from Exposure or Hope :smile: Any cheap lights that offer a decent amount of illumination ? Oh rechargeable and run times that are not gonna be limiting.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
:okay:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
seems to be a difference there is pro version which is 700 lumens, the other is 450 ?? Halfords have the 450 for a shade under £20 , click and collect tomorrow. Might just plump for that and be done.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m getting on fine with the moon. Just be very careful about keeping it in your trunk bag and getting switched on....it gets very hot! :blush:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ordered the 450 non pro version from Halfords, pick up tomorrow . My neighbour has given me a loan of his exposure Diablo for the commute tomorrow! Shall see how I get on with it .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok just for info the one i got which is the Moon Meteor X auto is only 450 lumens on strobe/flash mode. In normal mode it maxes 320 lumens. A wee bit misleading ! Quite a spotty light however will give it a good run tomorrow morning. Sure it will be enough but may look for something else over the festive period !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok nearly a week in with this light, its actually decent for the price, bright enough for dark roads. Although I reckon I may buy another so I have two however one caveat and that is the auto off option. Need to see if to can be disabled, other than tape over the sensor, its the most idiotic option on it. Light was switching off and in traffic this morning as it reckoned it was light enough not to be on !!! Took we a wee while to work out what was going on :biggrin: thought it was bust !

crazyjoe101

I see this thread is pretty much solved but other might find this useful so I'll chime in anyway.

I normally use AA or AAA powered lights and use a cheap versatile charger such as this and use high quality rechargeable batteries. These batteries will easily outlive the cheap ones integrated in the vast majority of bike lights and can be replaced in an emergency with readily available disposable batteries. For the lights themselves I normally use Cateye mostly this and this one, they perform well except for occasional susceptibility to horrific weather but they last a long enough for their low price and have good mounts which let them go almost anywhere.
It's funny, 'disposable' battery powered lights seem to be viewed as obsolete in a way now when in fact I find them to be far superior to anything in a similar price bracket.

Top Bottom