Bontrager Ion 700 R USB (or suggestions for rechargeable front lights around £80 mark)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
My Hope front light has always been a bit hit 'n' miss as to whether it will work in high power mode, and somewhat unreliable in general, so I'm looking to replace it with a USB rechargeable front light.

I've looked at a few and the Bontrager Ion 700 R USB Front Light seems to do well in customer reviews and I wondered if any CC'ers have one and what your experience with it has been?

My budget is around £80 and if anyone has suggestions for other rechargeable front lights I could look at, please feel free to chip in. :okay:

Thanks,
Shaun

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I decided to grab one as well. since it was only £40. Crossing my fingers that it works with two individual 18650 cells. 6hours at medium brightness is pretty good!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Light internal and battery outer are lovely and smooth as if it would take separate cells, but how would you get around this?

ps:glass desks are not good backdrops for pics :O
DSC_0010.JPG

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I wonder are the pair joined at the other end?

Probably not Id assume. The design reminds me of the special batteries that Kodak & possibly other manufacturers used to use on their cameras many many moons ago.

Im sure that once you cut away the plastic wrapping or any casing used to house the batteries that the cells would be really easy to replace if you were even somewhat handy with a soldering iron.

Though with all that said, price wise... you can currently pick up two panasonic 3400mAh 18650 cells for £9.09 on amazon.... and the cheapest fluxient U2 Mini package costs £35 on ebay, and even that comes with a 2600mAh battery. To top it all off. the U2 Mini ain't no slouch either in the brightness department. and it lasts a hell of a long time on its lowest setting even with the 2600mAh battery and I know this because I used it on a FNRttC ride lol - C&B are selling the extra battery for £18.

It just boils down to convenience, being USB rechargeable ticks boxs for many commuters.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Got my light in and ive had a look (surprisingly fast delivery!!!)

first and foremost is the build quality is most impressive. The machining of the casing is superb., Its a very solid light and it has a bit of weight to it.

Ive taken the battery out to have a look and it wont be possible to run two individual cells rather then the 'cassette'. when the time comes however, Rebuilding the cassette will be pretty easy.

I am slightly worried though however as the packaging arrived slightly crushed and the battery was completely discharged which to mean screams that its been left sitting in their warehouse for a long long time.

Just charging it up now.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Yeah battery took a good 7hr+ initial charge.

I just stuck mine into a slightly higher output plug. If you were charging at work for hometime it would be grand

Top Bottom