Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMG_20180425_165925591.jpg

It's stout, Jim, but not as we know it. Chocolate, yes. Dark malt (which is surely the defining feature of Stout) not so much.

Hoodwink-Chocolate-White-Stout-Tile.png

Served with a side helping of negotiation with a recruitment agent.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMG_20180425_171140581.jpg

Oscar Wilde mild from somewhere in Essex. It has a not at all unattractive overtone of something woody.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No. Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta Earl Grey IPA is yumtus. And I'm sure I had a brilliant green tea beer with an elephant on it the last but one time I was in Scottishland.
Just having a Gunnamatta, which I think should be sold as Beergamot. It is rather nice, however, with a strong bitterness combining well with the aromatic bergamot.

Just back from the Dog and Bell, where I had a Flipside (Notts) Franc in Stein, which didn't come in a Stein. Cost more than a franc too. Very blond for a golden ale. Quite rounded bitterness to it. A good beer.

Also a Wantsum Red Raddle. Confusing beer with a strong dry and woody bitterness persisting underneath hints of apple and dark malt. This possibly sounds ok on paper but the flavours didn't seem to meld; it was like they were all out of harmony with each other, tugging off in different directions.

Another 3some for the year's spreadsheet. I think I"m in late May.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 5224887, member: 259"]I miss mild. You hardly ever see it here, unfortunately. Brewdog have it sometimes, but it's a bit of a trek to Brussels for me.[/QUOTE]
Definitely not enough mild. I think it must have been effectively killed off before the current generation of brewers had left primary school.

(I worked in a pub in the late 70s. I was told that if Alf came in for a mild I was to charge him 10p, not the current price of 12p because he was the only one that drank it. Thing is, though, Alf never came in.....)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bristol Beer Factory Independence last night - one of my faves. And then I got two free pints of Hop Back Summer Lightning, as compensation after I ended up wearing approx 4 gallons of Tudor Black Mountain Stout.

I was back in the pub this evening and have been put straight - apparently it was Muirhead Chocolate Mild. I can only apologize for my lack of discernment when sucking beer out of my sleeves. Anyway, I had some in a glass, and liked it much better that way.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Haven't been in here for a while as I'm under doctor's orders to cut right back on my drinking and lose thirty pounds. Before the doctor gave me the hard word I'd booked me and Mrs. jg on a craft beer tasting lesson at Newcastle Wine School and I had no intention of missing it so last night off we went to Blackfriars to drink some beer.

Brekeriet Picnic Sour - Only 2.2% abv but cheek puckeringly sour. A good drink for a palate cleanser.

Flying Squirrel Pilsner - Czech style with bread and honey notes

Steam Machine New England Session IPA - some malt and caramel but grapefruit is the dominant flavour

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale - Bags of flavour. Orangey and quite bitter.

Almasty Double IPA - Cranking up the abv to 8% now. A modern English IPA aping the American style IPAs, big, bold and malty

Brewdog 5am Saint - An amazingly complex red ale. Berries, marmalade, chocolate and spice. Mrs jg's favourite

Mystery Ale - Served with the label concealed. Sweetish with bitter coffee and a coca cola appearance.

Durham Temptation - Saved the big hitter for last; 10% abv. Deep, malty and full of chocolate. Beautiful.

For the mystery ale we were asked to identify, firstly whether it was a classic or a modern craft beer. Most went for craft. We were then asked to pin down the style. Most couldn't identify the style, some went for a black lager. One swot went for a dopplebok. Modesty prevents me from identifying the only one to get it right, suffice to say he recently posted on here about Tyne 9 resembling a dopplebock or schwarzbier. The beer was revealed to be a classic, Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebok.

Afterwards we went to the Bodega on Westgate Road to continue our studies. A very enjoyable night. They're doing an Oktoberfest special soon so if I get down to my goal weight I'll maybe sign up for that.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Busy Beer week for me...

A Three Sods' Boho Bitter. A very good rich and rounded bitter - If I wasn't collecting beers, I'd have spent the session on it.

A Home Ales 5 star IPA. From a Key Keg, which is always a bit of a change from the usual cask beer. Good, more a bitter than an IPA for me, but not memorable. At almost £5 a pint it was overpriced.

Finished with a Redemption Big Chief. Who knew pineapple could transition smoothly into a rich bitterness? A very good taste-journey beer.

Home with another Yeastie Boys' concoction, their Bigmouth Session IPA. A bit thin after the earlier pints but an enjoyable dry kind of grapefruitiness to accompany the night's TV (Channel 4 Walter Presents stuff, Lifeline, aka Pulsationes).

And there's an event at the new Brick brewery a few hundred yards up the road from the Dog and Bell tomorrow. I may soon be putting an end to late May.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
After a trip to Belgium last year I have acquired a taste for Belgian beer.
It is available here, and some supermarkets stock a limited selection, but I've been buying it mail order, and collecting the matching glasses for the beers I like. I don't suppose they taste different, but it does enhance the enjoyment somehow.

So, some recommendation in no particular order:

Straffe Hendrik tripel
Bruges Zot
St Feullien (various styles)
St Stephanus
Westamalle, particularly Tripel
La Chouffe
Rochefort: 6, 8, 10 (be very careful of the 10 which, though tasty, is about 11.5% alcohol)

Top Bottom