Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I'm gradually working my way through my haul from the Crafty Sheepdog in Keswick- Ennerdale Jasmine Gold (floral, full of flavour, a lovely session beer) and Ennerdale Reserve (stronger old school IPA, not too hoppy if you don't like that kind of thing but plenty of flavour and hoppy enough for those who do). I also spotted Ennerdale Darkest at the recently reopened Horse & Farrier in Dacre (a pukka stout, at the sweeter end rather than the dry end). Well worth a visit if you're in the Penrith/Ulllswater area (and don't forget the Brackenrigg a couple of miles down the road:cheers:).

U

User169

Bank holiday!

This is best thing I’ve had from Tommie. Looks like cherryade. Soft acidity, very slight hint of funk and loads of grape flavor (it’s fermented with Hungarian kekfrancos grapes).

At 7% its quite strong for this kind of beer, but it’s more like those low abv Italian fizzy red wines you can get rather than beer. Just brilliant.

ADA2E17D-04D6-434C-86E6-878B20B68F7C.jpeg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bank holiday!

This is best thing I’ve had from Tommie. Looks like cherryade. Soft acidity, very slight hint of funk and loads of grape flavor (it’s fermented with Hungarian kekfrancos grapes).

At 7% its quite strong for this kind of beer, but it’s more like those low abv Italian fizzy red wines you can get rather than beer. Just brilliant.

View attachment 406220
As the Germans say: Bier nach Wein, lass es sein; Wein nach Bier, das rat ich Dir.*

But Bier mit Wein?!

*Roughly - wine after beer, yup that's good. Beer after wine - you'll have a very thick head in the morning.

(The webpage where I confirmed the German expression, which I first heard as a fairly young thing from my almost non-drinking parents, tells me that the Dutch say Bier na wijn is venijn, wijn na bier is plezier. Which is the opposite. And in English I'm sure I've heard something like Beer, then wine - you'll feel fine. Wine then beer - you'll feel queer. Which is also the opposite. But no-one has ever concocted a folk saying about drinking a drink that can't decide if it's wine or beer - which probably tells you that it's a very odd drink indeed.)

U

User169

As the Germans say: Bier nach Wein, lass es sein; Wein nach Bier, das rat ich Dir.*

But Bier mit Wein?!

*Roughly - wine after beer, yup that's good. Beer after wine - you'll have a very thick head in the morning.

(The webpage where I confirmed the German expression, which I first heard as a fairly young thing from my almost non-drinking parents, tells me that the Dutch say Bier na wijn is venijn, wijn na bier is plezier. Which is the opposite. And in English I'm sure I've heard something like Beer, then wine - you'll feel fine. Wine then beer - you'll feel queer. Which is also the opposite. But no-one has ever concocted a folk saying about drinking a drink that can't decide if it's wine or beer - which probably tells you that it's a very odd drink indeed.)

Well, as per Karel V, my preference as a Northern European is for the "sap van de dochter van de korenaar" over the "bloed van de druiventros".

Nevertheless, we live in the 21stC and beer/wine mashups are a thing. There’s a link a few pages back to a Graun piece on a few examples.

U

User169

Interesting one that I made.

A stout flavored with vanilla and cocoa nibs. Pretty sure there’s some kind of infection in it, but it’s not gone sour,, more horsey/ leather. Persistent head and chocolate.

I’d like to think this is what 19thC stouts tasted like as they were all likely infected with Brett.

D0666A1D-06D4-4701-994E-9B67266C5383.jpeg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 5226754, member: 259"]In fact it's the same. Venij means nastiness, plezier means pleasure.[/QUOTE]
Oh yes. Doh.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
From last night. Barrel aged Farmhouse Ale. Dry, fairly clean saison base, but the barrel aging gives loads and loads of oaky wine flavor. Not very carbonated - if you tried this blind you might think it were wine. Doesn’t seem to Score highly on ratebeer, but i thought it was great. Very much my kind of thing.

A big thank you to @MossCommuter for this one!

View attachment 405244
Buxton do consistently good, not to mention interesting beer IMO, but seem to fly under the radar a bit compared to some other, shall we say better known breweries. Chorlton's sours always impress as well-I sampled the Citra Sour in the Fell Bar last night;an interesting mix (interesting drug?:music:) of hoppy and sour . Fell's own Mosaic OPA is a pukka single hop beer as well. Northern Whisper's Oppenchops is a very well balanced sessionable golden ale (their Yammerhouse is a bit more hop forward and didn't last long at the Fell Bar). Perhaps my favourite beer from this week is Burning Sky's Saison a la Provision-c'est les boules de un chien mes amis:okay:. This is probably my top beer style atm, I still love the big hop forward IPAs (such as Northern Monk's Heathen) but my tastes are leaning more towards European styles these days. Vive les freres trappistes:cheers:!

I was going to collage later but some things simply can't wait.

This brewery made an 8.7% DIPA with masses of mosaic, citra, Simcoe and Denali. Oh they used a Brett yeast alongside their own. They used osts in the malt and then they chucked 100kg of farking honey in the FV!

Nutters

But when the brewery is Magic Rock you think, "well ok, I'll have a go" and you find it's delicious. It's a hop bomb fo sho and the creamy body is there and then the honey.

Weird and wonderful; it's Botany of Desire

IMG_20180428_144425.jpg

SteveF

I was going to collage later but some things simply can't wait.

This brewery made an 8.7% DIPA with masses of mosaic, citra, Simcoe and Denali. Oh they used a Brett yeast alongside their own. They used osts in the malt and then they chucked 100kg of farking honey in the FV!

Nutters

But when the brewery is Magic Rock you think, "well ok, I'll have a go" and you find it's delicious. It's a hop bomb fo sho and the creamy body is there and then the honey.

Weird and wonderful; it's Botany of Desire

View attachment 406354

That just looks ..... Wrong

Top Bottom