Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Another hot and expensive place

Moonzen Brewery Jade Emperor IPA. 7.0% abv and 60 ibu so...strong and bitter.

IMG_20180502_200756.jpg

Pretty decent stuff. HK (like everywhere it seems) is in the throes of the craft beer revolution so it's easy to find decent stuff...so long as you don't expect 'spoons pricing

U

User169

@DP any standout bar recommendations in Leiden, Arnhem, Den Bosch, or Dordrecht?

Leiden is notoriously duff for beer. Lemmys is OK, but can get pretty busy. I expect it won't be long before someone opens a more crafty place there.

Rather oddly, Den Bosch has a Thornbridge bar, but it's Brabant so you'll get a decent welcome wherever you go.

Arnhem and Dordrecht I don't know at all, although Cafe Beugel in Arnhem seems popular with the beer nerds.

Are you planning a trip?

U

User169

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tonight's trio comprised....

A Siren pompelmocello (''Is that Italian for grapefruit?'' ''It means small grapefruit'') Sour. Sour. But like all the sours I've drunk recently, lemon citrus is the overwhelming source of the sourness. Good, though. Just a bit of a wasted conversation at the bar. I demand my grapefruit!

A Wild Beer Co Evolver IPA. If you've ever imagined a banana sandwiched in wormwood bark. you'll know what this tasted like. Just a hint of pineapple in with the banana.

A Five Points XPA. Again, that really hard, dry bitterness of the previous beer, without the bananas. Dry, almost thin grapefruit and something floral at the front, combining with that kind of bitterness that laminates the length of the tongue plus a bit of roof work at the back of the palate.

Took me a bottle of Aldi Citrus Wave to wash away that bitterness....

Never heard of it. You should deffo buy it!
I have one; did a bit of reading up. The brewery in Belgium is organic and each year chooses one variety to make a wet hop beer to be drunk young (so no investment potential). All the 2017 is sold which makes having one a bit more exciting. The cascade harvest must have been good last year because that's what this beer is made from.

https://www.plukker.be/en/beers/single-green/

H4vQ4u5SYu-qvmtMMqcxJ1uhxywmMK2jjy9cWR26mRmvuj7p_Kpbvhj0nqB0ZT46kP-IJK1l0w3PMcynw6FQ9Ibz=s709-no.jpg

it looks a bit like canned John Smith's circa. 1984 and oddly enough has the same mouthfeel and approximates the flavour.

Don't bother

Top Bottom