Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Good people of the beer thread...

...I am off to London in a week, arriving Sunday (but Euston's closed so anybody's guess when) and staying Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on South Bank (near Tate Modern) and I want to take in some brewery taps and find some new crafty, modern beery places. Any advice appreciated.

ta

Can you hang on until the 6th? There's a tap take over at BBNo by Nevel Artisan Ales - a newish NL brewer making barrel aged saisons and farmhouse ales.

Can you hang on until the 6th? There's a tap take over at BBNo by Nevel Artisan Ales - a newish NL brewer making barrel aged saisons and farmhouse ales.
Bugger; I have a train reservation at dinner time on 6th

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

...I am off to London in a week, arriving Sunday (but Euston's closed so anybody's guess when) and staying Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on South Bank (near Tate Modern) and I want to take in some brewery taps and find some new crafty, modern beery places. Any advice appreciated.

ta
Most of the taprooms are shut midweek. Southwark brewery, Druid Street, though, also opens on Sundays and Tuesdays, and BBNo, Enid Street, are open on Sunday afternoon till 6pm. I think Moor Beers, a couple of arches away, also open on Sunday. It's more ''tasting rooms'' than tap as they're based in Bristol. Villages Brewery, Deptford, are also open later than usual (till 11pm) this Sunday because of the Bank Holiday weekend. What's more, they may still have some of their new Three Hills collab which is being released tonight. The rest of the ''Bermondsey Beer Mile'' taprooms are pretty much shut until next Friday. If you do fancy coming down to Deptford, there's also Hop Stuff's Taproom, who will have a slightly more exotic selection than usual because there's a Craft Beer Feast on tomorrow. I've put in a request for Deya beers so there's a chance that I may have persuaded which way to go as they were already trying to choose between Deya and Verdant. The taproom is open 7 nights a week.

It's also only 5 minutes away from where I am, so if you do turn up, I'll be happy to meet up with you and share a few drinks with you. PM me if you're likely to come down and I'll pass you my details. I've got a Brommy Beer Bike you can use if you like.

EDIT: I forgot Anspach and Hobday also open on Sundays till 6pm. They're just down from Southwark brewery in Druid Street.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's a week Sunday that I arrive

@deptfordmarmoset thanks!!
Oops, basic reading error on my part. The only difference in the opening hours will be Villages that will shut closer to 8pm on Sunday and the 3 Hills collaboration will have been drunk by then. I can post up a photo of the current beer list at the Hop Stuff Taproom later in the week to see whether it triggers the beer saliva glands. And I'm busy with grandchildren's birthday party on Sunday during the day, which is a shame because I'll be dying for a drink when it finishes.....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I imbibed a Brew York Mojito Fiend sour this evening, my only new beer of the night. Not heavily sour, more of a tang. But tang is not yet a kind of beer. Lingering mint aftertaste, and why not?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
This is quite nice... Slightly chilled to reduce the cloying bourbon characteristics... 14.5% gives it a fair old kick

IMG_20180825_215157.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
This is quite nice... Slightly chilled to reduce the cloying bourbon characteristics... 14.5% gives it a fair old kick

View attachment 426846
14.5% would take all the kick out of me....

My beer day started by inviting the grandmother of my grandchildren to the Deptford Craft Beer Feast and then discovering that it was tomorrow. So we headed to Villages' little taproom while we worked out what next. Which was - train to London Bridge and track back to Brew By Numbers. So, a Routemaster Red at Southwark Brewery (cask, fairly bitter and a dark red, more traditional style than most crafties), a toilet visit to the London Beer Factory (apologies, I undertake in the future to remove more liquid from there than we put in), and on to Anspach and Hobday, where companion had an experimental IP Saison (rather jolly good) and I had an Apricot Saison (a very nice beer, lightly flavoured on the apricot side but more apricot in the aroma). Then under the arches and on to BBNo, where companion had an AEgir and BBNo Norwegian Farmhouse collaboration (I only had a couple of sample sips but it's well worth a proper revisit at a later date) and I had a Number 2 (no, not another toilet visit, it's a DIPA that I've had before from a can so fancied trying direct from the keg: it's a very solid BBNo beer, nice and hoppy but only gently bitter). And back for an Italian meal closer to homes.

All in all, a successful rescue from my inability to read dates on posters.

Slightly concerned that I still have a beer festival to go to this weekend....

stephec

Legendary Member

ta
Be careful of your behaviour on the tube station escalators, @nickyboy should be able to advise you on this.

Top Bottom