Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Brock said:
Oh that's right.. bloat your carbon footprint for the sake of some frothy characterless continental nonsense and your own stingey wallet at the expense of support for our own fantastically diverse and flavoursome independent beers from brewers throughout the country in competition with multinational lager producers desperate to crush choice and feed our youth easy drinking high strength fizzpizz....
Somehow I don't think Nick drinks Stella...xx(
You really can't describe good Belgian beer as 'frothy characterless continental nonsense'. Try anything from the Leffe range as a starter. I agree with you about giving up too easily on British beers though, that's a bit lame. You can get most good bottled beer for well under £2 a bottle. For example our local Londis recently had Old Rodger at £1.39. :ohmy:
And yes, small breweries need all the support they can get. Going abroad just helps to reduce the variety at home.

Brock

I've had Leffe blonde at a local 'Belgium beer bar', it was ok, if you don't mind supporting Interbrew. I'd drink it if I found myself in Belgium I expect.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Brock said:
I've had Leffe blonde at a local 'Belgium beer bar', it was ok, if you don't mind supporting Interbrew. I'd drink it if I found myself in Belgium I expect.
Try a few others then. I realise that I'm contradicting my argument re: drinking home beers but I'm sure that you're man enough to make up for it. xx(:biggrin:

<currently drinking a bottle of Break Water from the Red Rock brewery just down the road :ohmy:>

Brock

I'd rather try the Red Rock Brewery stuff than any more Leffe. Any brewer with a website that bad must be concentrating on the brewing xx(

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Brock said:
I'd rather try the Red Rock Brewery stuff than any more Leffe. Any brewer with a website that bad must be concentrating on the brewing :biggrin:
:ohmy:
Home made websites, you have to love them! Used to have to trawl through any number of them for a previous job. Dear god, spend some money guys, seriously...xx(

Actually their beer isn't all that great, I have to say. Teignworthy is much better. But it's perfectly drinkable and it's made less than ten miles from where I'm sitting.

strofiwimple

Veteran
Weather is glorious & i have just been out for my first tentative ride since i tore my calf muscle (i am not a patient patient) no ill effects so im just off to my local pub-the clarendon to celebrate, it houses the Bull Lane brewery in the basement which makes some fantastic well priced real ales, i think i will partake of a pint or two of "nowtsa matter" or "ryhope tug" whilst perusing the "local paper for local people"
You might think life can get better than this but trust me-it doesn't xx(

I love sampling foreign bottled beers but given the choice a pint of good british real ale wins every time, i feel sorry for anyone who has had to put up poorly kept real ale-it is sacrilege when you know how much time and effort has gone into making such a wonderful product.

If anyone is ever up in the area get in touch and i will treat you to a few pints of the good stuff and at £1.70-£1.80 a pint i can afford to be genorous :ohmy:. Bottoms up.

strofiwimple said:
If anyone is ever up in the area get in touch and i will treat you to a few pints of the good stuff and at £1.70-£1.80 a pint i can afford to be genorous :biggrin:. Bottoms up.

Get ready for the stampede! It's only a short voyage across the North Sea! Hmmm, tempting! xx(

Hope your leg holds up (you'll need it for cycling and drinking! :o).

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
strofiwimple said:
i feel sorry for anyone who has had to put up poorly kept real ale-it is sacrilege when you know how much time and effort has gone into making such a wonderful product.
I used to work in a pub and persuaded the cellar bloke to give me a spot of training. The pub was owned by Bass and a well kept pint of Bass is a true joy. Especially when you try it straight from the barrel. It's also a rare joy, cellar-keeping being an under appreciated art. xx(

NickM

Veteran
I have spent more than thirty years supporting English beer (even Welsh and Scottish on occasion), and have nothing but respect for most of its brewers, who on the whole are the salt of the earth and do an excellent job. However... if I drink English beer I want to drink it as the brewer intended. Which means: by the pint, hand pumped or served by gravity, in good condition and at the correct temperature, and most certainly not abused with a bloody sparkler. And I want it locally. I'm sick of spending an hour each way on public transport just to get a pint worth drinking. Especially when even then it often isn't.

It is the impossibility of getting a reliably decent pint at a fair price that has led me to embrace Belgian beer culture. I don't blame English brewers for that - but those peanuts in Westminster, and almost all the English pub trade*, have a lot to answer for. I persevered for a very long time, but have been ripped off too often and my patience is now exhausted.

Rochefort 8 at E1.20 for 33cl, with 10c back on the bottle? And the memory of a pleasant day, every once in a while, spent bringing it and its friends here from beer paradise?

Or a pint of generic-tasting muck, usually too warm or too cold, either squirted violently into the bottom of the glass so as to have a (hawk, spit) "tight head" or else completely flat, served by somebody who doesn't give a toss and then taxed till the pips squeak?

Not much competition, is there?

Having spent a lifetime cycling, walking and using public transport to get around, I have every intention of continuing to use my carbon ration developing my knowledge of a splendidly bonkers country and its panoply of first-class beers! So there!!

*with the notable exception of the landlord of the Fat Cat in Norwich, who should be made a bishop or something

U

User169

Chuffy said:
Somehow I don't think Nick drinks Stella...:blush:
You really can't describe good Belgian beer as 'frothy characterless continental nonsense'. Try anything from the Leffe range as a starter. I agree with you about giving up too easily on British beers though, that's a bit lame. You can get most good bottled beer for well under £2 a bottle. For example our local Londis recently had Old Rodger at £1.39. :biggrin:
And yes, small breweries need all the support they can get. Going abroad just helps to reduce the variety at home.

I agree with almost all of this Chuffy, but personally I'd avoid Leffe. It's ersatz abbey beer, owned by Inbev (Brazilian/Belgian mega-brewer) and brewed at Stella in Leuven. I tried a bottle of the dubbel a couple of months ago and it was the most revolting pish I've ever tasted.

I don't know exactly what Belgian beer is readily available in the UK, but I'd recommend Westmalle or Grimbergen beers as a good starting point.

NickM

Veteran
strofiwimple said:
...If anyone is ever up in the area get in touch and i will treat you to a few pints of the good stuff and at £1.70-£1.80 a pint i can afford to be genorous :blush:. Bottoms up.
I'd have to consider moving to Sunderland, if only it wasn't so far from Belgium!

Oh, and Chuffy: Otter Bitter. What do you reckon? It was one of my all-time great pints. Taste buds were singing that day...

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
NickM said:
I'd have to consider moving to Sunderland, if only it wasn't so far from Belgium!

Oh, and Chuffy: Otter Bitter. What do you reckon? It was one of my all-time great pints. Taste buds were singing that day...
Otter? Otter Bright is a regular in our shopping basket. Baggy likes it more than I do though. Perfectly ok, but not one of my favourites.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A pint of well kept real ale is a joy to behold. However, I was in Strasbourg last weekend and there is a beer which is locally brewed called Fisher. It is a lager style beer but it is delicious. Quite a few grande glasses of that was consumed that weekend.

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
Otter? Otter Bright is a regular in our shopping basket. Baggy likes it more than I do though. Perfectly ok, but not one of my favourites.

I reckon the state of the taste buds varies considerably from day to day, even in a well-maintained gob. All "perfectly OK" beers therefore deserve regular re-sampling :blush:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
NickM said:
I reckon the state of the taste buds varies considerably from day to day, even in a well-maintained gob. All "perfectly OK" beers therefore deserve regular re-sampling :biggrin:
It gets resampled on a regular basis. It's still only ok though.
But I'm prepared to persevere. :blush:

Top Bottom