Being Car doored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freddyflintstone

Read a thread about this subject. The writer mentioned "ride in primary"
What does this mean? Its just that I was a hairsbreathe from being car doored the other day
Luckily the driver had the sense to close the door as I started to scream "F*** ell"
He did shout an apology

Scousegaz

Riding in primary means to position yourself roughly central to the lane were safe to do so but I refer to the one metre rule whereby I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS give myself a metre gap between myself and any parked cars which gives me that advantage in the unfortunate situation you found yourself in :boxing:

The 'primary' just refers to a more central position in the road/lane which should position you outside the door zone, so if one does open it doesn't impede you (depending on the situation however you may need to alter the primary to account for the width of the road).

Blue

Legendary Member
Yes, always give parked cars a wide berth and pay attention to them - is the door open a crack, is there a person in the relevant seat, kind of thing.

We all have a steep learning curve when it comes to first riding in traffic. Stay sharp out there my friend.

Riding in primary means to position yourself roughly central to the lane were safe to do so but I refer to the one metre rule whereby I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS give myself a metre gap between myself and any parked cars which gives me that advantage in the unfortunate situation you found yourself in :boxing:

A metre may not even be enough for some cars, especially three door cars.

Scousegaz

My advice on the metre rule is purely a benchmark figure, bearing in mind that being a metre away to start with means you are already in a better position to make the adjustment than if you were tucked up next to the vehicle :boxing:

Scousegaz

No, no and no. Primary position is not in the middle of the road.

Regarding my advice on "Primary Position" I do recall stating that it was in centre of the LANE and when safe to do so and not centre of the ROAD ! Being in centre of the lane would probably result in someone attempting to overtake having to move into the opposite lane as you quote. As for the one metre rule I do state thats its only a benchmark figure and it puts you in a better position to adjust from, i.e moving out a foot or so would be easier than having to move out "5 foot" :boxing:

Bicycle

[QUOTE 1623903, member: 3143"]No, no and no. Primary position is not in the middle of the road. It's a postion on the road that does not allow traffic to overtake without severely changing their direction and if they wanted to overtake then they would have to be in opposite lane. Primary is mostly used on the approach to junctions, RAB, punch points and bits of road where your overall safety takes precedence over everything else.

As for the door zone - you are looking at roughly 5 feet away from side of the vehicle.[/quote]

If I'm driving or cycling along and I feel like 'severely changing my direction', how should I go about doing it?

On a more serious note, I've been observing the 'doorzone' for ver forty years and I don't think I've ever ridden the 5 feet from parked cars suggested here.

What I do (and what I taught my children to do) is look for occupants in parked cars, look for smoke or vibration from exhausts, look for steering movement in the front wheel; essentially look for any sign that suggests a door might open or the car might move out into the traffic.

So far I've been lucky.

BSRU

A Human Being
If I'm driving or cycling along and I feel like 'severely changing my direction', how should I go about doing it?

On a more serious note, I've been observing the 'doorzone' for ver forty years and I don't think I've ever ridden the 5 feet from parked cars suggested here.

What I do (and what I taught my children to do) is look for occupants in parked cars, look for smoke or vibration from exhausts, look for steering movement in the front wheel; essentially look for any sign that suggests a door might open or the car might move out into the traffic.

So far I've been lucky.

I do all he things you mention but I still stay out of the door zone, better safe than lucky.

Bicycle

I do all he things you mention but I still stay out of the door zone, better safe than lucky.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I avoid the doorzone too, but the proposed fivefoot gap is further than I'd want to go. I don't think I stray over a metre.

You're quite right to correct me. Doorzone avoidance and all the funky observation stuff, as you say.

Top Bottom