Best bike for around the £1k mark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Find a decent bike shop and try some bikes out, not all people are the same and not all bikes are the same.
It is not important what the people on this thread think of bikes, or what reviewers think.. it is only important what you think, buy the bike which makes you smile.
My only advise would be to check the warranty terms of the bike and brand, these are not all the same.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
They're under-specced and over-priced tat. There you go... I said it!
35jndq.jpg

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
My post wasn't 100% serious :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, I do think that you don't get the best value for money, with Spesh, compared to other brands. Each to their own. In answer to your question, I have a few. I would say the Cube was probably the best value in terms of spec for £ and the Verenti and Cannondale are also good in that respect. I have a Dawes Audax that I paid 170 quid for. Reynolds 531 - that's definitely good value.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well that's alright then isn't it. Was it in the 1k price bracket?

wxbull

If I had the choice, and money I'd have a Bianchi....I should know better than to bite on such tempting bait as that TBF

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

Nevertheless, I do think that you don't get the best value for money, with Spesh, compared to other brands. Each to their own. In answer to your question, I have a few. I would say the Cube was probably the best value in terms of spec for £ and the Verenti and Cannondale are also good in that respect. I have a Dawes Audax that I paid 170 quid for. Reynolds 531 - that's definitely good value.

In defence of the Duck, prior to his very first post in this thread was mine, I'm a reknown Specialized fan boy and I believed that his post was a bit of teasing for me (although I could be wrong), which is why I liked it. :thumbsup:
Although I think specialized are a great brand, the specification of the bike you get for 1k is lower than that offered by many of the competition however the lifetime frame warranty and great support is surpassed by very few cycle companies in my experience. This is important value to me personally but it may be less so for other people.... You pay your price and get what's important to you.

Personally I would not consider Sitting duck to be a troll, however Duckie ;).... let that be a warning to you, next time you make a joke like that I'm bringing down the wrath of the entire cult upon you :laugh:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
For 1k I would be looking at Canyon, Rose, Planet X (maybe) & Giant and even Boardman but that's just me. Depends on what fits and what takes your fancy. LBS stock is going to play a big part also, assuming the OP goes down this route. Regarding Canyon, for example - friend of mine has just ordered one after arranging a test ride of 3 different models with them, from a local bike store that they used as an outlet, so it can be done.

Edit to include that I recently got a Supersix but that was 1200. If the OP is happy with Alu, I would be looking at CAAD10 etc.

Fasta Asloth

+1 on German brands for value for money... Hence why after weeks of deliberation on which bike to get I went for a Rose... Full 105spec total weight 8.4kg without pedals for £725 end of last year and as nice a ride as more expensive American brands I test rode... As SD said though, each to their own, and go with what you like the look and ride of...

wxbull

what do people think of pinnacle bikes? My bro has just got one on the bike to work, 1200/1300 worth for 750!

Top Bottom