Best saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Standard Brompton narrow saddle is one of the most comfortable I’ve used.

Zanelad

Guru
I was a fan of the Charge Spoon for a long time. However, my last two saddles have been Brookes Cambium C17s. Comfy from the off.

I can't imagine using anything else now.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just moved over to a spoon myself as i got one off a scrap bike i found and decided to test as my old saddle shape i was fine with for years has started to give me saddle sores , it felt like i was sitting on the edge of the saddle on the join between leg and groin area.A bit of anecdotal research confirmed i needed a wider saddle as another rider with similar chunky monkey legs said he went wider and solved his issues and i can confirm in my case i dont get sores anymore.
I just need to find one that is smidge softer , i have looked at the fabric saddles if anyone has any experience with them ?

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I suspect you’re just going to have to try and see what works for you, although a saddle fit at a bike shop will help narrow down the choices.

I have Selle Italia C2 Gelflow, Fizik Antares and a Brooks C17 on my bikes (actually two of my bikes use an Antares). All as good as each other.

Ian

RobinS

Veteran
It's a personal thing, but I only use the Charge Spoon nowadays - on my MTB, and on my tourer used for 3 month tours. JanetS is on the Charge Ladle - ladies version of the Spoon.

Smudge

Veteran
I can only get on with the Charge Spoon on my road bike, it doesn't work for me on all my other bikes.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I must be an exception as I've not had an issue with any saddles and just use the ones that came with the bike.
I've got a Naga Pro Logo on the best bike that's done rides of 100 mile+
The Giant also has the standard saddle (Giant Contact Forward), as does the Boardman hybrid (E4P), and even the Carrera Zelos on the turbo trainer - all are different to look at but are comfortable for me.

Most touring people ride on Brooks B17, and B17 Imperials.
I doubt you have any figures to back up that claim.
On the OP, as many have said, very personal.
All I would say is start checking saddles at the cheaper end - spending bigbucks is no guarantee of comfort.
Be wary of clever clever designs.
Make sure that your sit-bones are taking the pressure.
Figure out if you have a narrow or wider pelvis - that will narrow it down.
If you have several bikes and happen across one that is very comfortable for you, particularly if it's cheap, rush out and buy lots for stock in case the bastards discontinue it.

boydj

Legendary Member
I have Fabric Scoop on all my bikes in either Shallow or Flat models, having started with the predecessor Charge Spoon. Fabric now have an extensive range starting from about £30, so you don't have to break the bank. The Scoop is pretty minimalist, but there's enough give in the construction to make it pretty comfortable - but that's me at 5'6" and about 10st.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a Dawes Galaxy, and would like to change the saddle, I want to start cycle touring.
So I want a comfortable saddle.
Any recommendations

It has taken me some time to find a saddle to suit me as I have aged.I bought aSella Italia Man found it by pure chance at bike shop in Keswick Tried it for a few rides and found it comfortable. Bought two more for my other bikes.One other thing I would add I find the padding on some shorts uncomfortable I prefer a thinner pad Lusso shorts seem suit me.
Perhaps fifty years of cycling has toughened my rear end.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I must be an exception as I've not had an issue with any saddles and just use the ones that came with the bike.
I've got a Naga Pro Logo on the best bike that's done rides of 100 mile+
The Giant also has the standard saddle (Giant Contact Forward), as does the Boardman hybrid (E4P), and even the Carrera Zelos on the turbo trainer - all are different to look at but are comfortable for me.
Blimey! Count yourself lucky. I was happy to pay £7 in postage to give away the Selle saddle that came with my Cinelli.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I got lucky once too – the saddle that came with my Langster (it says Specialized Comp 143) suited me down to the sit bones. Immediately tracked down a few more to have an heir and a spare.

r6bBqkA.jpg

Top Bottom