Best saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just ordered a Pro Griffon carbon rail saddle, RRP £149.99, for my road bike. Got it for £48 mint. I use a Ergon SMC4 on my mtb as well. Only the best saddles will do.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have Fabric Scoop on all my bikes in either Shallow or Flat models, having started with the predecessor Charge Spoon. Fabric now have an extensive range starting from about £30, so you don't have to break the bank. The Scoop is pretty minimalist, but there's enough give in the construction to make it pretty comfortable - but that's me at 5'6" and about 10st.
Im only an inch taller but a stone heavier :sad: chunky build with sprinter thighs .

I've always used Selle Italia saddles on my 'performance' bikes, the original Turbo, then the Flite and then the Flite Genuine Gel. I must have had twenty assorted over the years on various bikes. But as my mileage has decreased and my gut got bigger and my handlebars slowly moved north I've struggled to find a saddle to suit me. I fitted a Flite to my cruiser last week because I'd given its seat to another bike temporarily, and it farking killed my arse. My touring bike now has a Charge Spoon on it. I tried the Velo Orange touring saddle for a bit but, though it was nice and wide in the back for a more upright position, the nose is ridiculously wide. You'd have to have rickets to find it suitable. I never got on with Brooks, the last one I tried got really saggy really quickly. I can't be arsed with them.

kynikos

Veteran
I can 100% guarantee it's a Brooks B67 you need.

Well I hope so as I just took delivery of one an hour ago:

Dressed, fitted and now it's raining; is this an omen?

CXRAndy

Guru
All can add to this is use a saddle witha central cut out. Ive used two saddles over recent years, first one was ISM Adamo noseless. I had them on my on my bikes for 7 years. Recently Ive swapped to Selle Italia SLR much narrower, but with big cutout.

It must be comfortable, cos I completed a non stop 5 hr ride on Zwift yesterday. Today I feel no soreness:okay:

roley poley

Über Member
I can 100% guarantee it's a Brooks B67 you need.

Well I hope so as I just took delivery of one an hour ago:

View attachment 515965

Dressed, fitted and now it's raining; is this an omen?
found my B67 a pain and if I knew you wanted one would have offered it as I got a flyer on sat ..tried for 3 months to come to a settlement but no ...what one man finds comfy can cripple another

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dawes GT is worth a look

Gunk

Guru
I think saddles are a complete lottery, nearly every time I’ve upgraded I’ve ended up with a more expensive but far more uncomfortable saddle, the worst was a Brooks Swift which was like sitting on a scaffold tube.

I’m obsessing at the moment about changing my basic Selle Royal saddle on my road bike for Nubuck Selle Italia SLR which is just stunning and with tan bar tape would really lift the look of my bike to another level, however the problem I have is that the basic seat I have at the moment is perfect, it’s surprisingly really comfortable, so it is a case of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! But I’ll probably end up buying it! :wacko:

Brooks B17 imperial (cut out) have them on 3 of my bikes now.
Look a bit odd on a CF racer - but for me it works - it was comfy out of the box no break in period for me
YMMV.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've been looking at the Ergon SMA 3 saddle.
I find Ergon grips to be excellent and the company seems to do a fair bit of R+D judging by the blurb on their website.
Anyone here had experience of Ergon saddles?

Top Bottom