Big Shops re-opening today. Anyone going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed - lowest common denomenator and all that.. that said I am rather partial to their cheap T-shirts for daily wear (which tend to last OK) but they do sell a lot rubbish.

The only thing I can appreciate about them is at least they're passing on the cost savings of the clothing industry's ruthless exploitiation of third-world suppliers to the customer.. although I doubt the more disposible nature of their cheap, often low-quality products is doing anything to promote responsible and sustainable behaviour in the great consumptove masses :rolleyes:
You're such a snob :laugh:

On the rare occasion I've been in looking for something for other peoples kids or whatever, I actually don't think their stuff is especially cheap (compared to say H&M or the supermarkets) so I really don't get the appeal (bit I have no interest in fast fashion which might be why)

Mike_P

Guru
Suppose its possible with all the unusual activity for a lot footware needs replacing and its always a bit of a lottery online re size and quality and the quality of those offered by the supermarkets is often poor IME. Could do with a new pair of slippers, did buy some online a couple of months back which ended up in the bin a week back so its back to the 6 month old M&S ones of which one has a hole in it. Annoyingly M&S have not been doing click and collect which is pretty much of a own goal IMO.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You're such a snob :laugh:

On the rare occasion I've been in looking for something for other peoples kids or whatever, I actually don't think their stuff is especially cheap (compared to say H&M or the supermarkets) so I really don't get the appeal (bit I have no interest in fast fashion which might be why)
If that's how you wish to frame someone who simply has an issue with the repercussions of the shallow, unthinking, rampant consumption of the great unwashed ;)

I agree largely about Primark quality and don't shop there as a rule - I guess they're like many other bargain-basement suppliers in that you have to wade through a lot of dross to find the odd item worth having.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So we're pretty much in agreement then, are we? It's for the muppets? Great.

Now, when BIG-P day comes along and all the pubs open, who's going then?
If I have to queue; NO!
If it's rammed; NO!
If I have to social distance; NO!
If I have to book a time to go for a pee; NO!
If the bar staff are togged up like heart surgeons; NO!
If I have to use hand sanitizer every 5 minutes; NO!

It could be a long time before I visit a pub then, but so be it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My nearest (open) farm-shop/cafe have a complicated 1-way system and a Q outside. What's wrong with that?

I believe you've answered your own question there. 🧐

Mine is spacious never crowded and has none of that hassle.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Debenhams permanently closing at the Metro Centre- that's one of the 3 'magnet' stores along with M+S, and House of Frazer- not looking good for the long term viability of the place if no-one takes the biggest three storey unit.

[Edit: just checked latest update and it would appear to be a national rent review dispute between Intu, who own the Metro Centre and 2 other large retail centres in the UK, and Debenhams so I would imagine Intu will have to back down!]

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Big queue apparently - 60 minutes-2 hours now - at my local Sports Direct. :wacko: Mike Ashley will be happy.

Other long queues at Matalan, Next and similar retailers nearby.
Yup; and all his initial scumbaggery regarding the exploitation of his workers at the beginning of lockdown will all be forgotten in a whirlwind of rampant consumption and cynical marketing :angry:

vickster

Legendary Member
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a "permitted retail outlets" list? I presume pubs/caffs/diners are still shut - is everything else now allowed?
Shops allowed, food outlets for take away. No eating or drinking in (4 July earliest date mentioned)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All? I’d be surprised if you could find any.

The government advice is still to maintain a 2 metre separation because “Boris’s effin ‘scientists’ explain that being 1m apart carries up to ten times the risk of infection of being 2m apart.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52522460
According to a scienceman on the R4 news the other day, the chances of catching the virus from someone at 2m is 1.6%, and I presume that someone has to be infected, otherwise the chance would be zero. By your 10x chance at 1m, that's a 16% chance of contracting the virus, but that person at 1m proximity still has to be infected, otherwise it's still zero. What are they saying at moment?... 1 in 1000 people carry the virus. So that's what, a 0.1% chance of coming near someone with the virus and an 84% chance that you won't get anything

The UK is one of only three countries that have the 2m rule. Other countries that have a distancing guidlines are 1m or 1.5m.

Top Bottom