Bike security overnight whilst camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As the title says..
Bike security overnight whilst camping?
Assuming the bike, and yourself, don't both fit in the tent overnight, how do you secure your bike?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fit a movement alarm and a simple length of black cord from frame and tied somewhere inside the tent, hopefully enough to alert you.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't think any kind of theft on a campsite is a big issue tbh. Certainly in the 5 years my other half and I have been camping, we've been out and left the tent for 8hrs + and nothings been touched.
The only overnight camping trip I've had with my bike was also trouble free. I used a cheap-ish coil lock and secured the bike to a wooden fence behind the tent.

I think it's more a case of where you stop.
Innercity campsites and busy tourist sites have a higher risk and I tend to use twin locks to something solid.
A quiet rural site mid-week and I may even "forget" to lock my bent trike.
Also if a professional thief want's your bike, it will go.
So it's more a case of what weight penalty in locks will you accept that gives you peace of mind.
So a good quality cable lock that you can wrap around something solid will normally be fine.

Luck ........... ^_^

Where? Urban/rural? UK/International? Campsite/WildCamp?

It's not something I have been overly concerned about. Mind you, I ride an old bike that has mismatched paint and bits of tape & piping on the racks - it looks like junk, to be honest. On a similar vein I have seen transfers that can be placed on frames to make them look cracked/damaged.

I always wonder about the old "tie myself to the bike". I'm not so sure that I want to confront potential bike thieves depending on the location.

I carry 1 long and 1 short cable locks used as necessary. If nervous, I'll supplement with bungee cords (no hook versions) through and around the wheels that will make noise if removed. I'll also choose my pitching place with a suitable place to lock the bike. There has been literally a handful of times where I have been nervous about my bike overnight.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hopefully, I'm doing a bit of UK touring this summer.
Rural campsites and, maybe, some wild camping but 'hidden away' somewhere.
I'm thinking of a longish cable with a combination lock, and my Targus Defcon1.

A rope attached to the bike then attach that rope to your foot
oo - bike bondage - have read about folk like you.

It's not something I have been overly concerned about. Mind you, I ride an old bike that has mismatched paint and bits of tape & piping on the racks - it looks like junk, to be honest. On a similar vein I have seen transfers that can be placed on frames to make them look cracked/damaged.

Rather like the sound of those - feel free to post a link - rather reminds me of those fake bullet holes you could stick on your car windscreens in the 60s.

My exped tourer though pretty new is already distressed - initially was a bit gutted over damage and scratching to the top tube after stupidly leaning it against a concrete post but after kind of bodging/repairing its cosmetics with hobby shop paint and a non top smooth finish I rather like the look of it - battle scars. Another of my bikes has cable anti-rub fittings made out of oven rack edging - that should put a fair few thieves off.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Either wildcamping or on sites, I've never worried about it..

Maybe lock the wheel to the frame, when staying on a busier official site, to prevent any late night hi jinks from someone coming home from the pub..

But I just leave it out beside the tent.

I love my bike, but I don't need to sleep with it.
Panniers stay on bike mostly too..

What goes inside them goes in dry bags if necessary.

Maybe the trick is to have slightly scruffy stuff.

(I have slightly scruffy stuff)

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
I never considered bike theft to be a big worry and felt that locking the bike with a cable lock was sufficient. On the odd occasions when I felt a little uneasy in a campsite I laid the bike down beside the tent with with part of one wheel pushed under the 'skirt' of the tent so that I would be able to see the bike was there without even having to get out of my sleeping bag:smile:.

Top Bottom