Bike Set up ....any thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two things that stick out to me. You are rocking at the hips and your shoulders are dropped because your reaching too far. You need to do a few things;
-Cleats need to be middle to as far back as they can go (also a shim if you get numb feet)
-Saddle needs to be moved forward
- narrower bars and possible a shorter stem to reduce reach and put your shoulder parallel again.
Search bike fit Tuesdays on YouTube for the excellent videos by James and Cam Nichols.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Two things that stick out to me. You are rocking at the hips and your shoulders are dropped because your reaching too far.

I disagree, I think the rocking of the hips is due to no or very low resistance on the trainer. It all looks very jerky. I am sure someone will come along with a different thirds and forth opinion soon. That is one of the problems of asking for opinions, the OP is going to get a huge stack of them.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Two things that stick out to me. You are rocking at the hips and your shoulders are dropped because your reaching too far. You need to do a few things;
-Cleats need to be middle to as far back as they can go (also a shim if you get numb feet)
-Saddle needs to be moved forward
- narrower bars and possible a shorter stem to reduce reach and put your shoulder parallel again.
Search bike fit Tuesdays on YouTube for the excellent videos by James and Cam Nichols.
Yeah watched that guy , he does know his stuff doesn't he I've reduced the stem to 90 from 120 that came with the bike , I reckon it's maybe I've got a bike slightly too big for me I have a stem 60mm I may give it a go , I'll try the other things in small increments
Cheers

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I'm 6'3" and it's a 61cm frame it's not miles too big I think the stem shortening plus a roll of the drops and a lift of the hoods might bring in towards me nicely , I have the seat dead centre of the markers and I have plumbed it the front knee is right over the spindle when at 3 o'clock

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

I'm 6'3" and it's a 61cm frame it's not miles too big I think the stem shortening plus a roll of the drops and a lift of the hoods might bring in towards me nicely , I have the seat dead centre of the markers and I have plumbed it the front knee is right over the spindle when at 3 o'clock

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Pork pie, ham sausage and cheese - bit high in saturated fat and salt, although promising signs with brown bread, celery and tomatoes, absolute travesty there is no flipping pickle though - what were you thinking?:laugh:
What was I thinking ....

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Attachments

• IMG-20210704-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210704-WA0002.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20210704-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210704-WA0002.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I have a couple mates at this height and iirc they both ride 58cm bikes for reference.

si_c

Guru
Couple of thoughts and questions.

The bike looks nearly perfectly sized for you at 6'3", but you seem a little scrunched up in the middle of the frame, in particular you keep shifting your weight back a tiny bit on the saddle. Does that feel like it's the case?

I've had exactly the same thing in the past and that tells me that your saddle is slightly too far back and slightly too low, if you shift the saddle up by 5-10mm and move the saddle to a more forward position - do this slowly and in no more than 5mm increments you'll find that your legs and hips open up a little bit and you'll be a bit more settled on the saddle.

Secondly I'm not sure that the shorter stem is helping you too much, it looks like you could do with stretching out a bit more. A good rule of thumb is when your hands are on the hoods and your arms straight and in line with your wrists, the front hub should be hidden behind the handlebars. That being said I'd raise the saddle and move it forward to start and then address the stem later, go for a few rides and see how it feels, don't make too many changes at once.

Couple of thoughts and questions.

The bike looks nearly perfectly sized for you at 6'3", but you seem a little scrunched up in the middle of the frame, in particular you keep shifting your weight back a tiny bit on the saddle. Does that feel like it's the case?

I've had exactly the same thing in the past and that tells me that your saddle is slightly too far back and slightly too low, if you shift the saddle up by 5-10mm and move the saddle to a more forward position - do this slowly and in no more than 5mm increments you'll find that your legs and hips open up a little bit and you'll be a bit more settled on the saddle.

Secondly I'm not sure that the shorter stem is helping you too much, it looks like you could do with stretching out a bit more. A good rule of thumb is when your hands are on the hoods and your arms straight and in line with your wrists, the front hub should be hidden behind the handlebars. That being said I'd raise the saddle and move it forward to start and then address the stem later, go for a few rides and see how it feels, don't make too many changes at once.
This^^^^

The only thing I'd add to this is to make sure that your saddle is level. It looks like it's slightly nose down in the video, and your regular pushing back is a symptom of this.

Top Bottom