Bloody UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finchingfield and Saffron Walden, Felsted and Epping........now, just remind me, which part of Yorkshire are they?

What are you twittering about? The OP was about Buttertubs Pass, not anywhere else you or anyone else adds to the thread at a later point. That is Buttertubs Pass, located in Yorkshire. Where the Tour is starting from, the place that is making one great bigs balls of it all.

Shadowfax

What are you twittering about? The OP was about Buttertubs Pass, not anywhere else you or anyone else adds to the thread at a later point. That is Buttertubs Pass, located in Yorkshire. Where the Tour is starting from, the place that is making one great bigs balls of it all.
Oi ! He's a self proclaimed CC expert don't yers know ? Go on, ask him about his qualifications bet he's got one in TDF route planning ! He's got one in everything else apparently.

Giggle.

MikeG

Guru
Oh, I see. Silly me. There was I thinking that the Tour actually went somewhere. And you saying it was a Yorkshire event was also a bit confusing, when it is obviously just a tour of Buttertubs.

Oi ! He's a self proclaimed CC expert don't yers know ? Go on, ask him about his qualifications bet he's got one in TDF route planning ! He's got one in everything else apparently.

Giggle.
Yeah, righto. Self-proclaimed, hey? Quote something then, rather than just make snarky comments. It's obviously a huge intellectual challenge to you to work out that the Essex stages of the Tour aren't happening in Yorkshire, and that the Yorkshire stages aren't all happening in Buttertubs.

Oh, I see. Silly me.

You got that bit right.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Had a lovely ride out this morning, headed up the Buttertubs pass on the TdeF route, anyone planning on viewing up there?

Lovely signs, "TdeF viewing area, Adults £5" planted at intervals along the road side at the crest of the 17% sections!!

Don't know if this is official or some enterprising thieving farmer, but anyone trying to get £5 out of me for standing on a public roadside will be in for a shock.

Before we get all the Yorkshire stereotypes out, it sounds much more likely that it was some enterprising farmer offering you access to his private fields which give a really good view of the Buttertubs climb. Nobody's going to try to charge you for standing on public land so chill out

OP
OP
oldfatfool

oldfatfool

Guru
Before we get all the Yorkshire stereotypes out, it sounds much more likely that it was some enterprising farmer offering you access to his private fields which give a really good view of the Buttertubs climb. Nobody's going to try to charge you for standing on public land so chill out
I am from Yorkshire, and I did say it may be a farmer, but given the verge is reasonably wide and the stone walls and fence not insubstantial I can't see why anyone would want to stand behind them. My worry is the same farmer will try and intimidate con folks to stand on a public verge. If the weather is ok next week I will go over again and get some piccies :smile:

All along the same road are signs for field parking which is no doubt the 'enterprising' farmer how people are meant to get to park when the road will be closed is yet to be seen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sadly, some will pay those prices for tea, but no one can charge for standing at the side of the road
Yer they can. Not all roadside verges are owned by the Highways Authority, especially in upland areas. The land owner can do what they like with their own land including charging you to stand on it, if they so choose.

Butter-Tubs-Pass-1.jpg

sackville d

Veteran
I bet all three stages will be great,me.:biggrin:They would have been better had they asked me for help but they didn`t,their loss I think.

This has been a very enlightening thread

MarkF

Guru
I rode Leeds/Harrogate/Silsden/Keighley last Monday and Skipton/Grassington/Ilkley on Wednesday and I saw zero signs of profiteering........plenty of camping available though, the verge sign at Buttertubs was probably a jealous chancer from Colne or Nelson.

My good lady are I are riding to Ilkley for stage 1, then riding home & catching the train to Harrogate for the finish. Either we'll walk out of town to view or stay at the Stray fan park boozing and watching the big screen. Stage 2 sees us cycling to Silsden for a leisurely picnic and viewing and.......more boozing before wobbling home along the canal.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom