Bloody UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siegfried

Much of the land immediately either side of rural lanes is privately owned. These are not trunk roads where the highways agency owns hectres of land for verges and paths and central reservations. Part of the objective of the 'tourmaker' marshals was to deal with the concerns of landowners that thousands of spectators might damage sensitive areas.

It seems daft to write off 5 million people of Yorkshire as mean and profiteering based on a single sign put up by a single landowner seen on a roadside which may or may not have been misunderstood by the person passing it.

It also seems daft to write off a two day race of hundreds of kilometres as unviewable from the roadside because of a single sign on a single verge on one side of a small section of the route.

Still, I'm sure the tour will be all the better for the absence of folks with such strange ideas about horrible northerners

It seems daft to write off 5 million people of Yorkshire as mean

... on the grounds of hundreds of years of tradition

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking at going camping for a couple of nights near Langsett. £100 which includes a Music festival and other activities for the kids, as well as a beer festival.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Looking at going camping for a couple of nights near Langsett. £100 which includes a Music festival and other activities for the kids, as well as a beer festival.

Sounds pretty cool. We're just going for the afternoon to Bradfield (which is a few miles on from Langsett). Pub lunch then yomp up the climb out of Bradfield to hopefully get some good views as they zoom up the 9%

sidevalve

Über Member
Like I said before as it's the tour de FRANCE I can only assune that these fees include transport to that country. This is no longer the TDF it is simply a cycle race somewhere in britain. Sort of takes the magic out of it somehow - a bit sad.

uclown2002

Guru
Like I said before as it's the tour de FRANCE I can only assune that these fees include transport to that country. This is no longer the TDF it is simply a cycle race somewhere in britain. Sort of takes the magic out of it somehow - a bit sad.
Not for me!
It's particularly exciting that it passes less than a mile from my front door. :becool:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

You might be lucky, they might even have proper beer from down south or Scotchland.

Hip Priest

Veteran

The TDF has started outside of France regularly for 60 years.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
  • Ride your bikes to the place where you want to watch. Cost £0.00.
  • Eat your own sandwiches. Cost £1.00. ?
  • Drink your own flask of tea. Cost £0.15p ?
  • Pay small sum to (probably) stand in the farmers field behind a wall, rather than (as you have assumed) on the highway itself. Cost £5.00. Otherwise just don't pay him.
  • Total cost of getting to see a world class sporting event close-up as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Cost £1.15 to £6.15 (ish) . Simples.
Remind me why Britain is a crap place to live and all Yorkshiremen are grasping b*stards? Seems to me some of you just want to complain for the sake of it. Chill out, get on board and just enjoy it.
Quit yer bellyaching, God bless Yorkshire and Vive t'Tour!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
  • Ride your bikes to the place where you want to watch. Cost £0.00.
  • Eat your own sandwiches. Cost £1.00. ?
  • Drink your own flask of tea. Cost £0.15p ?
  • Pay small sum to (probably) stand in the farmers field behind a wall, rather than (as you have assumed) on the highway itself. Cost £5.00. Otherwise just don't pay him.
  • Total cost of getting to see a world class sporting event close-up as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Cost £1.15 to £6.15 (ish) . Simples.

And they say that Tykes count the pennies a lot! Looks like it's the same in Gloucester as well!!:whistle: ;)

Top Bottom