Boxing Day flooding 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Looks like the River Aire has topped it's banks through Leeds, including in the city centre around Brewery Wharf and the Royal Armouries.
A grim Boxing Day for a lot of people - your heart goes out to them doesn't it?

The BBC are an age behind and seem to be relying on harvesting other peoples pictures from social media...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35181713

I live in Chorley and just drove my lad to Read about 4 miles from Whalley and well up the valleyside. After dropping him I drove to a vantage point above Whalley. The valley is full of water flowing at speed. 3O+ years of cycling the Ribble valley and never seen anything like it.

We live on the Leeds Liverpool canal. At 10.30 The canal was just touching the top of the lock gates and flowing over. The overflow from the canal is full and its close to flowing back in to the canal.

I'm not surprised the BBC or other press cannot get pictures. The police have asked sightseers to stay away.

We're OK I'm glad to say.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Pictures of flooding in Leeds

CXJPnkwWAAAH8R1.jpg

Brewery Wharf

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 14.33.06.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 14.35.09.png

Pictures of Kirkstall and the city centre

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The saddleworth villages above us in Oldham are flooded, Failsworth and Woodhouses below us are reportedly too. ( @dan_bo fingers crossed ) luckily we seem to be in between watercourses and on the slope so the water is running past not lying around.

I hope all my friends and colleagues in the worse affected areas are OK.

@PaulSB the Rochdale canal is brim full and an inch from.overflowing through Castleton too

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just been out for a ride to the East of Leeds. Cock Beck is within inches of overflowing at Barwick Rd, which has a small lake formed where the speed bump has trapped run off water coming down the hill.
Its even worse between Aberford and Barwick where it's flooded fields and must be 100yds wide in places - there are trees down and lakes and streams where I've never seen so much as a puddle before.
Fortunately its all farm land so no homes affected that I've seen. Here's hoping they're wrong about heavy rain forecast for tonight.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB the Rochdale canal is brim full and an inch from.overflowing through Castleton too

This is the Leeds Liverpool just below Toplock. Beyond the bridge, literally other side, the canal is just over the top of the gates.

The river Lostock carries away most of the normal overspill. Fortunately further back up the valley there is a decent flood plain which this morning was VERY full. This lot is heading to Preston.

The houses are in Town Lane near the river.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 123

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The saddleworth villages above us in Oldham are flooded, Failsworth and Woodhouses below us are reportedly too. ( @dan_bo fingers crossed ) luckily we seem to be in between watercourses and on the slope so the water is running past not lying around.

I hope all my friends and colleagues in the worse affected areas are OK.

Just did a loop round rochdale and saddleworth- riding up the hill between Newhey and Denshaw was like riding up a river with about 2' of tarmac visible up the centre of the road. Going down the other side was treacherous with rubble washed all over- this was repeated at various points on the rest of the route also. Makes you feel hard though.

The Medlock has burst its bank at Daisy Nook also.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Christ, this is grim reading. Hope everybody up there is OK.

I read with interest the other day how funding for flood defences for Cumbria has been withheld by the government repeatedly for years now, allowing the awful weather to cause a calamity this year.

I also read with interest about Marlow's spanking new flood defence system costing £8m. Priorities, I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom