Boxing Day flooding 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
IMG-20151226-WA0003.jpg

Daisy Nook. The Medlock is normally about 4ft down behind the railings on the right. Pic from fb.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
No overseas aid as yet, I won't hold my breath.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just got a text from @dan_bo asking if I am ok, which was nice of him. I told him that I am visiting my family in Coventry for Christmas but that my home *should* be safe.

For reasons which will be explained a later date, I am no longer living in Hebden Bridge. I moved a few miles down the road to Todmorden earlier this year. Unfortunately, Tod is also at risk of flooding and I think there will be flooding there today too. My new home is about 4 feet above the normal flood line, but I just looked at the environment agency warnings and my street *is* inside the area at risk. That implies that the agency thinks that flood waters might become deeper than 5 or 6 feet in the valley bottom, which would be horrendous for property owners there.

I have friends still living in Hebden Bridge who are also away until the NY. We think their homes might be affected so we are getting other friends to go and check.

Pretty grim all round. My thoughts are with all those affected, in Calderdale, Cumbria, and anywhere else.

From a purely selfish point of view, I could really do without coming back to a flood-damaged house. I had big plans for my 60th birthday and beyond. Still, what is, is, and I will deal with it when I get home.

PS It is nice of you all to ask after me. My sister just asked who I am typing this message to so I explained about the forum. She sends 'Likes' to all of you! :hello:

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I also read with interest about Marlow's spanking new flood defence system costing £8m. Priorities, I suppose.

Marlow, and many other bits of the Southeast, the Midlands and the Welsh marches, were very badly hit by flooding in the summer of 2007 - as were Sheffield and Hull. There was more flooding in bits of the Southeast a couple of years ago. The government rightly takes a strategic, nationwide view of flood defences - which is a world in which £8m doesn't go very far.

Best wishes to everyone affected, both during the disruption and for the cleanup. I hope your insurance companies respond quickly.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Christ, this is grim reading. Hope everybody up there is OK.

I read with interest the other day how funding for flood defences for Cumbria has been withheld by the government repeatedly for years now, allowing the awful weather to cause a calamity this year.

I also read with interest about Marlow's spanking new flood defence system costing £8m. Priorities, I suppose.

But they are also spending in Cumbria, For instance , just across the road from my house:
http://www.townbeckfas.co.uk

Top Bottom