Boxing Day flooding 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Without wishing to be glib about it, the Aire along Kirkstall Road has flooded before and has frequently come within centimetres of topping it's banks where it has flooded this time the problem is each time very little is done about it and we're told it's a once in 100 years thing. If it wasn't for the economic downturn, that area would be covered in hundreds of new homes on the former dairy / bus depot site as there were plans for a new "urban village" there. When those plans were published the flood risk was repeatedly raised only to be fobbed off with excuses that it couldn't happen there.
The river through Leeds city centre is a known pinch point and used to be much deeper - the environment agency website states that the 'normal' depth range now is just 0.6m to 1.35m at Crown Point (shallow enough for most people to wade across, if they were daft enough). When it was used for commercial traffic it was dredged a lot deeper. My dad used to talk about seeing the dredgers from where he worked on The Calls and how during the summer the river level often dropped to become a channel in the middle with mudflats visible on either side - that doesn't happen any more.
There is currently a plan underway to increase flow through Leeds by making Crown Point weir and the next one down (Thwaite Mill?) moveable so they can drop them completely and release the floodwater downstream before Leeds City centre gets flooded (Good luck in Methley, Castleford and Allerton Bywater when that's finished).

Anyway, fortunately the heavy overnight rain seems not to have materialised and we look to have a day or two without any significant rainfall, so here's hoping that the levels drop before the next lot arrives midweek.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Some would say it's God reminding us what he can do.

Better start building an ARK then Noah ;)

MarkF

Guru
The river water at Shipley/Saltaire was still at the top of the bridge arches this lunchtime, piles of debris is wedged fast (inc shipping containers) ready to move downstream as the levels drop. Alpacas unconcerned.
4584631.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
So sad. Have you seen Steve?

They aren't allowed in yet. They've posted a message on their Facebook page

Thanks for all your kind messages about the ongoing flooding in the Kirkstall area. We're still unable to access the shop at the moment to asses the damage. I'll update as soon as we're able too. Thanks again for all the kind words of support, it really is appreciated. Tony, Steve and the staff of Woodrups

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My favourite LBS, Woodrup Cycles, has been flooded judging by this video at 30 seconds in. :sad:

Edit.

And this picture

CXMP_JTWcAAKycG.jpg

That is a sad sight. Back in 1971 I had a frame made by Woodrup, a beautiful job and superbly enamelled and chrome plated. I hope they can recover from it, they must be one of the oldest bike shops still in business.

The river water at Shipley/Saltaire was still at the top of the bridge arches this lunchtime, piles of debris is wedged fast (inc shipping containers) ready to move downstream as the levels drop. Alpacas unconcerned.
4584631.jpg

Looks like a nessie sightiing.
Sad for all the people involved.

Sandra6

Veteran
My thoughts are with all those affected by the floods.
We've taken drastic action and moved house ;-)
Family that were due to visit today, from Rochdale, had to cancel because of the disruption to roads and a sinkhole on the mway. Ironically, the weather today was glorious.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just seen a post on FB. They are trying to call the Yorkshire Regiment back off Christmas leave to help with the flooding.

When I was in the army I was called back for a dustmans strike and two fire brigade strikes. They were great fun to be involved in.

Hope everyone is safe above all. It hasn't been anything like as wet down here, so it is hard to contemplate how much rain has fallen Ooop North. My daughter's boyfriend's family have been in Otley over Xmas and weren't sure they would be able to get back to Newark today, in time for her arrival there.
This was near us just under two years ago.
JS30751942.jpg

Note the two fields towards the top right. 400 houses going on there, plus a road on a causeway to be above the 100 year flood risk level. Wtf, I know there is a housing shortage in the SE but building next to what is effectively a swamp is not going to make things any better. Those fields are meadows, designed for pasture and expected from time to time to be flooded, that's what a meadow is FFS. The River Loddon runs along the right of the fields.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Shocking @ColinJ ..such a shame to see the town hit like this.
All my family in the area seem to have escaped, but thers loads more bloody rain on the way,so who knows whats going to happen.

the only + is the work it will create but thats not any consolation for the flooded out

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shocking @ColinJ ..such a shame to see the town hit like this.
All my family in the area seem to have escaped, but thers loads more bloody rain on the way,so who knows whats going to happen.

the only + is the work it will create but thats not any consolation for the flooded out
The worst thing is that this is happening so frequently now. It happened twice in quick succession, then a third time when I was in hospital in 2012. My sister came up to visit me and almost got cut off by flood water then. This latest flood is the worst one yet. I have lived in the area for 29 years and I reckon we had about 4 or 5 floods in the first 26 years and 4 in the last 3 years, ever-increasing in severity.

Insurance against flooding is either not available or VERY expensive. I don't know how people affected keep on picking themselves up and starting again!

Top Bottom