Boxing Day flooding 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Why are they giving these storms names? The latest one on the horizon has been named Frank. It's not as if we'll look back in years and say "Oh yes i remember when storm Frank happened"! A storm is a storm, it doesn't have to have a stupid name attached, giving it some kind of friendliness about it! I bet those affected by the last one could call it something a bit stronger than Eva!:cursing:

There's no friendliness implied by the names. The naming convention is used to raise the public's awareness of the storms and to be able to differentiate between them should there be two brewing in quick succession/close proximity. The naming of storms came from maritime practice where it's crucial for mariners to be able to quickly identify each storm and track its progress.

It's no bad thing. I'm not that bothered that a nasty storm sometime in the future is going to bear my name. I hope that it isn't a memorable storm.

The full list of names chosen for future selection are: Abigail, Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4076872, member: 9609"]Looking at the forecast for tuesday night, looks like we are going for the hat-trick here. three major floods in as many weeks. Not that you are likely to hear about it in the media, the bit of britain tween newcastle and edinburgh seems to be the land that all governments forget about. Interesting listening to the good people of Yorkshire complaining of how these floods would never be tolerated down south - least you are getting yours reported.[/QUOTE]
I am sure that we do get more reports about flooding in Hebden Bridge than we used to and I suspect that the creation of Media City is the reason. I reckon that lots of media people who moved up from London to work at Media City now live in the Hebden Bridge area. It is a short drive over here from Manchester for reporters.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's no friendliness implied by the names. The naming convention is used to raise the public's awareness of the storms and to be able to differentiate between them should there be two brewing in quick succession/close proximity. The naming of storms came from maritime practice where it's crucial for mariners to be able to quickly identify each storm and track its progress.

It's no bad thing. I'm not that bothered that a nasty storm sometime in the future is going to bear my name. I hope that it isn't a memorable storm.
The full list of names chosen for future selection are: Abigail, Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

My dog's name is in there, so i'm ok with that!:thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4076886, member: 9609"]Of course - the beeb has sort of partially relocated to Manchester, that is probably the only reason the rest of the UK are hearing about the Yorkshire floods - LOL[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the Lancashire floods too!:okay:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4076898, member: 9609"]you have a dog called Gertrude ?[/QUOTE]
I had a distant relation called Gertrude, that I vaguely remember visiting as a child and she had married a gentleman with the surname Henry so I keep trying to remember her when I see that list.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I live very local to the flood affected areas, it has been quite horrendous for all those unfortunate enough to have been caught in the flood waters. i live in Siddal and am lucky enough to be situated high up a hillside, several areas less than five minutes away from my location were under water and the after effects for all concerned are going to be ongoing for quite some time especially if Tuesday nights storm forecast is accurate. Areas affected close to home are , Elland, Copley Village, Brighouse, Sowerby Bridge, Luddenden Foot, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge.
Slideshow of local flooding Brighouse, http://www.brighouseecho.co.uk/news/local/slideshow-flooding-devastates-calderdale-1-7643709
Slideshow of flooding Todmorden, https://twitter.com/TodmordenNews1/status/680746826862084096

The community spirit has been amazing as communities have pulled together to aid in the huge clean up campaign.

The 170 year old Bridge at Copley Village Edit; I have just heard the rest of the bridge has collapsed.
Copley.jpg

Elland Road bridge in the early stages of collapse

Elland Bridge..jpg

Hebden Bridge
Hebden.jpeg

More footage of damage caused by flooding, http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/28/in-pi...utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=Facebook

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Photos on HEBWEB of local flooding.

Note the comments about current planning applications and flood risk .. Somebody told me a few weeks ago that a landowner planned to bridge one of the rivers and build several houses there. I laughed it off and said that would be madness - surely the council would not give planning permission ...? :whistle:

This http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/environment/regeneration/copley-valley/ is what is currently under construction in what was once an area of natural beauty, it is also an area that has always been flooded during heavy rainfall or snow melt.The local council have gone ahead with building plans despite thousands signing petitions in protest at the development of the land. The developers have removed hundreds of trees that would have served to soak up rain water , they have laid deep foundations ready for new buildings on what is essentially a flood plain.
Today the whole area is under several feet of flood water despite eight foot high steel flood barriers which incidentally are corroding at an alarming rate, I wonder now if the "powers that be" are beginning to realise they have have made a huge mistake in not listening to the knowledgeable local residents who did try to warn them of the dangers of developing the valley.
The whole of the area under development from Copley right through to Sowerby Bridge is sandwiched between the Calder and Hebble navigation canal on one side and the river Calder on the other, a recipe for disaster imo.
When will they ever learn?

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru

steve50

Disenchanted Member

Yes, they got flooded out then looters (scum of the earth) stole some very valuable bikes, if we could all keep our eyes peeled for them on ebay or gumtree etc
Cycle Factory
PLEASE SHARE HELP FIND THESE THIEVES.
Struggling for words here we got flooded on Saturday as did a lot of people. Last night we were robbed by the scum of the earth praying on flood victims. Please like and share to help find these bikes. I'll try list them properly with an edit later. Some new in boxes some customers bikes some reps bikes.
2016 Kona Process 153 medium
2016 Kona Hei Hei Trail medium only one in the country
2016 Kona Process 111 medium
2016 Kona Precept 150 Medium (boxed)
2015 Mondraker Dune XR Large
2016 Cube Attention 17" (stolen in box)
2016 Cube Attention 21" (stolen in box)
2016 Cube LTD Race Blackline (stolen in box)
2016 Cube KID 240 Black (stolen in box)

Top Bottom