BP video: Cyclist in the wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/watch-moment-nearly-hits-cyclist-58155

Sorry, BP doesn't like embedding. I noted a few points about this:

Cyclist is already on roundabout, with Hi Viz and visible rear light. Can't see front light.
Driver appears to be going a bit quick - probably wanted to go straight across without stopping or slowing at dashed line.
I can see cyclist in plenty of time, appears to have signalled his turn and is several metres away from car.

IMHO, this is another click-n-bait article.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I see nothing wrong at all. Cyclist in correct position, driver probably going too fast but gives way ... or am I missing something ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I switched off as soon as I saw the meaningless words 'right of way'. The author has the brains of a dachshund. I never bothered going as far as the video, and don't feel unfulfilled for having not seen it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A good illustration of the effectiveness of reflectives for side-on visibility. The rider's easily visible in the video whether he has a front light or not and any competent driver should have spotted him.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Rider perfectly visible if the driver bothered to look properly.
If they can't see that cyclist then they need to stop driving.

ETA: they also need to employ a better sub-editor at the Bristol Post, as they wrote "the driver can be seen pulling out on to the roundabout before breaking suddenly"

ETA: Having said that, the cyclist should have had front lights. Maybe it ran out of batteries or something. But that doesn't absolve the driver from their responsibility to look properly.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
no mate, you don't put you headlights on at night so others can see you, you put them on so you can see where you are going.

and the cyclist was clearly visible for ages before you blundered onto the roundabout had you been looking.

nobber driver

rugby bloke

Veteran
I think the name "Dashcam Fury" tells you all you need to know.

Top Bottom