Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

You found it then Cab :blush:. I didn't bother with the road tax/insurance thing as I am sick to death of it. But yes if someone pushes me I will certainly mention the points you made.

Your absolutely right, it is all about respect. I really wish someone would run road safety adverts with respect as the main theme. With respect all the other conflicts, issues etc cease to exist. I think respect sits at the very route of a lot of problems on the roads.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'll bet those bus drivers don't realise that many of us are insured with full third party insurance via CTC or LCC. Since high-earning males are heavily over-represented in cycling, we actually pay more income and council tax on average than bus drivers and their passengers do. That means we contribute more towards the roads as well, quite apart from the VED and fuel duty most of also pay when using our cars.

Perhaps we ought to be asking for a refund when we're on the bike and not clogging up the roads in our cars? Yes, that's right, all drivers ought to be grateful for every cyclist they see out there, because that's one less motor vehicle in the queue ahead of you, and thus you get far less traffic jams because of us.

It goes further still, in that studies have found cyclists actually improve traffic flow for motor vehicles because they break the rhythm of accelerate and brake that causes queues to build up.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
I'll bet those bus drivers don't realise that many of us are insured with full third party insurance via CTC or LCC. Since high-earning males are heavily over-represented in cycling, we actually pay more income and council tax on average than bus drivers and their passengers do. That means we contribute more towards the roads as well, quite apart from the VED and fuel duty most of also pay when using our cars.

Perhaps we ought to be asking for a refund when we're on the bike and not clogging up the roads in our cars? Yes, that's right, all drivers ought to be grateful for every cyclist they see out there, because that's one less motor vehicle in the queue ahead of you, and thus you get far less traffic jams because of us.

It goes further still, in that studies have found cyclists actually improve traffic flow for motor vehicles because they break the rhythm of accelerate and brake that causes queues to build up.

I may quote you depending on how the conversation goes! :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd agree with their point that there are a lot of tossers about though. Some ride bikes, some drive cars, and a few even drive buses. LMAO!!!

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:

That sounds interesting, have you got any more information on these studies Mikey?

col

Legendary Member
I suppose being a bus driver,i should comment.There are a number of fellow drivers who hate with a vengeance cyclists,or any vehicle that goes slower than they do.Re my thread on the job.Its all about trying to keep a timetable.Id like it to be known,im not one of them,i do all i can to give room and time for slower vehicles,not just cyclists.But i have to agree,there are people who shouldnt be doing the job,they make it dangerous for other said users.Ill still try and keep time by driving as safely as i can,but if held up ,will not loose it like some can and do.I can understand the reaction of some,because iv been in their situations,but it doesnt excuse or give reason for it.Like has been mentioned,its about respect to other users,and may i add,courtesy too.

Cab

magnatom said:
You found it then Cab :blush:

Wasn't hard. I'm surprised you posted there, it would seem to be rather infertile ground.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Wasn't hard. I'm surprised you posted there, it would seem to be rather infertile ground.

If I can get even one of these drivers to think again about his attitude it will be worth it. I also like taking part in discussions where I know I am right :blush:

Cab

magnatom said:
If I can get even one of these drivers to think again about his attitude it will be worth it. I also like taking part in discussions where I know I am right :blush:

In that case tell them about the evidence that shows using cycle paths doesn't improve safety, that they're not constructed to be appropriate for travelling more than 18mph, and that whether or not a cyclist chooses to use a cycle lane, passing too closely or infringing on their road space is unacceptable (i.e. 'bus driver' does not equate to 'has a right to enforce your views using many tons of metal').

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
In that case tell them about the evidence that shows using cycle paths doesn't improve safety, that they're not constructed to be appropriate for travelling more than 18mph, and that whether or not a cyclist chooses to use a cycle lane, passing too closely or infringing on their road space is unacceptable (i.e. 'bus driver' does not equate to 'has a right to enforce your views using many tons of metal').

I've replied already but I think I've covered the essence of what you've wrote.

Tynan

Veteran
I've noticed lots of very considerate driving from buses of late after the nadir of all those French ones a decade or more ago

I frequently overtaken a slow bus to find that they're patiently following a cyclist crawling along the bus lane

I've been following magnatoms progress over on that bus forum, and have to say magna, I feel like I've been repeatedly smashing my head against a birck wall, I don't know what you must feel like!!!

I find the opinions set out by those drivers very worrying, some of the aggressive, very dangerous attitudes. This forum seems to be very hostile and populated with some seriously dangerous individuals. I took the time earlier to cruise through a couple of other bus forums too. This one seems to be the exception, where the really militant bus drivers collect. I didn't see the kind of attitude displayed on the other forums, in fact I didn't see any comments regarding cyclists at all.

I don't know if it just that I am coming from a cyclists perspective, from a forum which is keen on a retrospective look at our behaviour.

It is also amusing the number of "rad tax" comments that crop up!!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I've been following magnatoms progress over on that bus forum, and have to say magna, I feel like I've been repeatedly smashing my head against a birck wall, I don't know what you must feel like!!!

I find the opinions set out by those drivers very worrying, some of the aggressive, very dangerous attitudes. This forum seems to be very hostile and populated with some seriously dangerous individuals. I took the time earlier to cruise through a couple of other bus forums too. This one seems to be the exception, where the really militant bus drivers collect. I didn't see the kind of attitude displayed on the other forums, in fact I didn't see any comments regarding cyclists at all.

I don't know if it just that I am coming from a cyclists perspective, from a forum which is keen on a retrospective look at our behaviour.

It is also amusing the number of "rad tax" comments that crop up!!!!!!!

Yes I've given up on them. I will be taking part in a campaign with First Bus over the next few weeks. I've to take part in a wee photo shoot with the Glasgow MD. Maybe I can have a wee chat with him then....

Top Bottom