Buying my own components and asking LBS to install them for me

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

Surely there must be some paid professional mechanics here who either work in a shop or own the shop themselves ..if so
What would they say
Would they do this as the OP asked or would they say no thanks

Sallar55

Veteran
I just built up my first frame with integrated cables (and a press fit BB 🤣) and although it took longer, it was no where near as difficult as I anticipated it to be. The results are worth it, the frame looks so clean without any cabling.

View attachment 638670
Hi This is integrated cabling, might need you help. One is going to the LBS if a cable or hoses required work. Hidden cables will give the bike shops a nice little earner, was told my ORRO with the cables through the headset unit would be time consuming.

Don't you just love clean lines on a bike, that is until it needs fixed😩

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi This is integrated cabling, might need you help. One is going to the LBS if a cable or hoses required work. Hidden cables will give the bike shops a nice little earner, was told my ORRO with the cables through the headset unit would be time consuming. View attachment 638710

View attachment 638711

Don't you just love clean lines on a bike, that is until it needs fixed😩
Recently changed headset bearings in one of those, Nice little earner.:okay:

GetFatty

Über Member
I’ve only done this once and that was when they weren’t able to get the part from their regular supplier. Otherwise I either do it all myself or pay them to do it all

alicat

Legendary Member
I have a problem with not trusting my LBS or shop people in general. I see the transactions they and I might have in a game-theoretic way. That is, our goals are opposite: theirs is to maximise profit and mine, to minimise cost. Yet we sometimes need to cooperate to achieve our separate, incompatible goals and come out with a result we can both live with.

Not all shopkeepers are like that. And your avatar is offensive to women, @tripletail52.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are actually loads of bike shops around here, maybe 15 or probably more within 6 miles or so. Plenty of well heeled but time/interest in maintenance/skills poor folks in SW London (including plenty of MAMILs and a fair few MAWILs buying higher end kit, plus bikes for the kids)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Well well folks...it's just a hypothetical question OK? Fair enough, I'll do all the repairs myself!

keithmac

Guru
We've got a bike in at work where the customer had snapped 4 exhaust studs off trying to save some money fitting his own exhaust.

Be all and end all it was that badly damaged I've got to fit a cylinder head to it.

An hours labour, acetylene welding torch and the right tools would have probably got all the nuts off but it's cost him a fair wack now.

Top Bottom