c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
No it's not. It's their money. In the same way that you pay Tescos for the privilege of shopping there, or BT for the privilege of having a phoneline, or your water company for the privilege of running water, so you pay the government for the privilege of living in the country and benefitting from the services you use.

Who do you think owns Tesco? Mr Tesco?

Ningishzidda

Whose money? The Bank of England.
Read what's printed on a banknote. Its a piece of paper that allows the bearer to use it as currency. A merchant may or may not accept it.
The country's citizens get given these pieces of paper in exchange for performing manual labour or renting his/her employer their intellectual knowledge.
Private Banks ( Barclays et al ) buy the pieces of paper off The Bank of England with Gold or other precious metals. In order to do this, they buy and sell Gold etc for profit overseas.
With the lots of these pieces of paper they have, they can finance business ( at an interest rate ) so employers can employ employees to do the work making things ( or providing a service to others ).
The Government invent a system to take off the population a certain amount of these pieces of paper in order to provide defence, security, health care, dustbinmen etc.
The Government attempt to take more than they spend so there is a surplus if something dreadful happens, like a war. If there is no war, they spend some of the surplus keeping the population happy. An example is the C2W scheme.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I got one, and am one of about 20 people in my company that took part.

However, due to only 6 of us cycling to work regularly, my company now refuses to run the scheme again - and I don't blame them.

So, thanks to 14 tossers who bought bikes, used them to ride to work once, people like me have had this helpful tool removed from us - tossers.

Only me and another lad got bikes at my site, and he rode his in to work once, and gave up as it was hard work......knobber.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Sure it's a reduced price bike, but if they're getting a c2w bike and using it for weekend rides only, then they're probably paying plenty more back to the government in petrol revenue (and road tax ;)) than they would be if they used the bike as intended. :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
RE. the OP - yes the bike should be used for journeys to work.

#quote="Trickedem, post: 2284634, member: 17642"]I think there is something to be said for
The health benefits in getting more people riding bikes. This reduces the burden on the tax payer in other ways.[/quote]
Agreed - BUT why restrict concessions to those in employment. Why not bikes on prescription for the obese, and the unfit, VAT free bikes for pensioners?

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I never quite thought about it this way, but those who pointed it out are quite right, any cycling is better than no cycling, and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to ride using the scheme to buy a bike as such, but I do think that more should be done to encourage the actual cycling to work part.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
the rules in our place were that you had to use the bike for 50% of all commuting journeys you make whilst the bike is owned by the employer.

it was never followed up or checked though so the usual abuses were entirely possible. To be fair, of the 3 of us thaty did get bikes under C2W at roughly the same time 2 of us used them 100% of the time, barring the odd 'bring a batch of clean shirts to work' car days

Hip Priest

Veteran
My company implemented the C2W scheme, but it also makes it very difficult for people to access the secure racks in the underground car park. This shows me that it's an environmental box-ticking thing for HR, and not a genuine attempt to get people cycling to work.

Top Bottom