c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Same as I negotiate with my window cleaner!
It doesn't matter so much if next door don't clean their windows though does it? Are you truly so blinkered or just trolling?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There is one other benefit for my university for my C2W bike;

Before I could charge 20p/mile for travel between campuses and visits on the bike.
With a C2W I can't - so I've lost any benefit there.

Mind you, I never charged - and realised afterwards that I'd lost out on about £50 :eek: in total.

Standoff

Allow him to source his own method of waste collection! The same as my neighbour does on our trading estate!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Then he'd be fined for breaking the law
Fined by whom? The council has declared that it's no longer able to provide court services due to people not paying a large part of the council tax. They say they are really sorry but they felt elderly care was a better place to spend what was left.

Standoff

Fined by whom? The council has declared that it's no longer able to provide court services due to people not paying a large part of the council tax. They say they are really sorry but they felt elderly care was a better place to spend what was left.
Oh yeh right. The same council that's probably advertising for more diversity officers or smoking cessation police.
Politicised organisations from top to bottom!
Lets agree to differ and get back to bikes. Looks a good day if the wind dies down.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh yeh right. The same council that's probably advertising for more diversity officers or smoking cessation police.
Lets agree to differ and get back to bikes. Looks a good day if the wind dies down.
You have to accept that some services are better provided from the centre rather than being left to a free for all. I'm not sure that smoking cessation and diversity are included in those services, but then that's what voting is about.

:tongue: Rain's stopped here. Don't care about the wind, I'm off out as soon as the postman has been

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You are Patrick Stevens and I claim my fifty pounds.

Its a pity this has wandered a bit as underlying all this most of us seem to agree that whilst the C2W scheme does offer benefits for both individuals and government alike, its pretty obvious it needs some tighter regulation.

I use the chap who posted that his company only ran it once as most employees didn't use their bikes as intended as an example of this.

But what is to be done, and how?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Its a pity this has wandered a bit as underlying all this most of us seem to agree that whilst the C2W scheme does offer benefits for both individuals and government alike, its pretty obvious it needs some tighter regulation.

I use the chap who posted that his company only ran it once as most employees didn't use their bikes as intended as an example of this.

But what is to be done, and how?

If it is agreed that cycling is a 'good thing' health wise, congestion wise etc etc etc, and the C2W scheme is 'abused' by many - and this abuse is tacitally approved by HMG, presumably because of these positive effects, why not abandon the scheme and encourage everyone to benefit by cutting or even removing VAT on bikes?

Top Bottom